Author Topic: Atlas aspiration fan noise  (Read 2575 times)

Offline pbutler1

Atlas aspiration fan noise
« on: February 05, 2019, 07:13:23 PM »
Hi All - just installed an atlas and its about 50F outsde... the fan has been on throughout the install and is loud.  Normal?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Atlas aspiration fan noise
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 07:21:12 PM »
Hi All - just installed an atlas and its about 50F outsde... the fan has been on throughout the install and is loud.  Normal?

Shouldn't be.  Most people seem to have trouble hearing it.

The bottom of the pagoda comes off by hand.  Look inside and make sure the cover over the sensor is properly positioned.  (It also can come out by hand)

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 07:52:50 PM »
If humidity is real low, the fan tends to be louder for me. Most of the time, the only way to hear it is to get right up against the pagoda.

Offline John Z

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 07:38:25 AM »
Pbutler1,

Fan ran throughout the install? Does that mean it ran even without sunlight hitting the solar cells?

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 11:57:23 AM »
I agree it has to be hitting something open it up check and see.
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline pbutler1

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 09:21:14 AM »
Will open it up once it gets warmer... cold front and snow here.

@John Z - fan was on from the time I put the batteries in.  The room I was working in had quite a bit of light and the unit was outside while I set up the mounting post.

Walked out to the unit several hours past posting my question and I no longer hear the fan but it was dark and 35F.  Its also now about 12ft off the ground.

Offline John Z

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 09:36:07 AM »
Pbutler1,

I thought maybe your fan was running off the batteries, fast and loud. It's not supposed to do that. In the old 5n1, that was not even possible. In Atlas, the solar panels appear to wire to the main board. Some have suggested that's because solar electricity helps run the main board, stretching battery life. A wiring glitch or defective component could let battery power flow the wrong way into the motor.

Keep an eye on your unit. If you burn through batteries like crazy, you may have to contact AcuRite.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 09:51:20 AM »
When I had snow, I also commented about how I could hear the motor. If you search this forum, you will find when I was beta testing, I asked the same question as pbutler1. I believe it is normal. I would just leave it be until the weather changes and see if it is quieter.

Offline Victoria

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 11:23:39 AM »
It's possible the fan has become slightly dislodged. The fan component is supposed to snap into place with two clips. When you do have an opportunity to check it, I would verify it's seated evenly and securely.

If it's dislodged, you don't need any tools or special preparation. Just clip it in evenly.

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 11:08:53 PM »
I have jimmy rigged a 24/7 12v fan in my  davis and i notice it alternates between noisy and quiet when the temp gets to around 5ºC and lower, its constant too every say 10 second or so it will go noisy, perhaps your fan is similar, does not like the cold for what ever reason? Just a thought is all....
Kind regards
Bashy