Author Topic: Davis Vantage Pro2 -> MySQL  (Read 3723 times)

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
Davis Vantage Pro2 -> MySQL
« on: April 18, 2016, 02:28:12 PM »
Hello All

What software can insert data from Vantage Pro2 into a MySQL-database?

The Meteobridge looks good and simple but are there alternatives? Windows-software?

Kind Regards

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Davis Vantage Pro2 -> MySQL
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 02:55:18 PM »
Envoy8x comes with software called WDTU or Weather Data Transfer Utility. It will allow comprehensive logging of data into an SQL-type database. I' haven't tried using yet but will be testing later today.
Randy

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 03:01:26 PM »
Envoy8x comes with software called WDTU or Weather Data Transfer Utility. It will allow comprehensive logging of data into an SQL-type database. I' haven't tried using yet but will be testing later today.

Sounds good. Looking forward to what you can say about this unit :)

Regards

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 03:11:21 PM »
One of the forum members here - Jruys - wrote an SQL injector that reads the Weatherlink files and pushes them to an SQL database.  I tested it  a while back and it works, although I don't think he is actively developing it.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 03:26:23 PM »
Bushman do you happen to know if this WDTU creates working MySQL tables so other programs like Excel can work with the data.
Its all new to me haven't tried anything out yet. I installed MYSQl and finally figured out how to change the database directory of my almost full C: drive where it defaulted on the install. 
Randy

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 03:42:33 PM »
Sorry - no idea about Davis' WDTU.  But this offers some hints:  http://www.manula.com/manuals/pws/davis-kb/1/en/topic/wdtu-envoy8x
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 03:54:36 PM »
Thanks for the link, I actually had booked marked prior. Seems to be the best worded info out there without actually having the software running and trying it out. I like the fact you can go near realtime if wanted 10 seconds isn't bad but WOW the data storage would be huge.
Randy

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 04:49:56 PM »
Bushman do you happen to know if this WDTU creates working MySQL tables so other programs like Excel can work with the data.

Not 100% sure what you mean but let me comment:

1. WDTU certainly can export blocks of data to Excel and this seems to work pretty well. I don't know exactly what the intermediate mechanism might be but the image at the bottom of this page on our main website:

http://www.weatherstations.co.uk/envoy8x.htm

shows the Excel export interface.

2. I've only really played with the Access version of the database rather than MySQL, but certainly the Access version seems to create a fully functional database that can be accessed via standard Access readers and I've no reason to think that MySQL wouldn't be equally competent.But you will need to spend some little time understanding how the schema of the database is constructed - from memory there are 13 (or some such number) different tables involved that interact in various ways to implement the whole database. (Although 3 or 4 of them are pretty small and just define things like which wireless channels are in play and which transmitters they map to.)
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 04:53:24 PM »
Or you could create a PHP script and set a CRON job for it to extract data from WL and insert it into whatever db you want, thats what I use for the WL plugin for Meteotemplate

Online mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 05:50:14 PM »
I use CumulusMX to store direct into a MySQL database. I think Weather Display can do it as well.
Mark

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 05:51:06 PM »
Except WLK files are packed binary.  You need to do a little summin' and figgerin' first.  Here's a Java implementation that might start the process.  https://github.com/JernejJerin/wlk-reader

I had planned to rewrite this in Python but since I use Meteobridge and its PUSH services there is no need for that brain teaser.  :)

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 11:39:58 AM »
To all:
Thank you for your comments :)

Regards