Author Topic: Fall/Winter '17-'18  (Read 29713 times)

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: Fall/Winter '17-'18
« Reply #200 on: January 16, 2018, 07:43:32 AM »
Somebody really fluffed the snowfall forecast a couple of days back.  They were calling for 1-2, maybe 3" in a small region primarily yesterday afternoon into evening.  This morning, I'm seeing totals in excess of 8" reported in a fairly wide area and still falling in some areas.

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #201 on: January 16, 2018, 08:27:58 AM »
Yikes!!!  Big difference between forecast and reality, WH!!!  Of course an inch or a foot, it doesn't matter, it shuts our area down.  #-o  There's an inch or more of "something" forecast for tonight...a wintry mix and then some snow.  Some areas 1", some areas up to 3", some areas...slush and ???  70% chance of snow tonight and low of 21F then clear and sunny tomorrow...tomorrow night's low is forecast for 17F.  Definitely a deep-south freeze!!!!!!

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #202 on: January 16, 2018, 08:36:23 AM »
Oh...and Sunday the high is supposed to be near 70F.  If you don't like the weather in Dixie just wait around a little bit.  \:D/

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #203 on: January 16, 2018, 09:42:48 AM »
Yep, same here. Currently sitting at 16° (wind chill anywhere from 0° to 10°) with 1.5" of inches of snow on the ground. Most everything is shut down. Supposed to be in the 60'-70's here this weekend with thunderstorms. Possible severe weather. Typical January weather in Arkansas.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #204 on: January 16, 2018, 11:07:42 AM »
This was the forecast as of 5AM Monday:

"Snow, mainly after 9am. High near 30. South southwest wind 7 to 13 mph becoming northwest in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible. "

Today, I see this:

"RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PADUCAH KY
1227 AM CST TUE JAN 16 2018

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM SNOWFALL SET AT PADUCAH KY...

A RECORD SNOWFALL OF 8.1 INCH(ES) WAS SET AT PADUCAH KY YESTERDAY.
THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 0.5 SET IN 2015.

WITH 8.1 INCHES OF SNOWFALL ON JANUARY 15TH, THIS IS TIED AT 5TH
SNOWIEST DAY ON RECORD. WITH A TOTAL OF 12.4 INCHES OF SNOWFALL FOR
JANUARY, THIS IS THE 4TH SNOWIEST JANUARY ON RECORD. THE RECORD IS
24.7 INCHES DURING THE BLIZZARD OF `78."

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #205 on: January 16, 2018, 05:51:27 PM »
We  have had a lot of very cold weather.   However it is going up into the 30s.   Below zero all day here.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #206 on: January 16, 2018, 07:16:34 PM »
A wave of moderation begins Thursday and runs into early next week, but for how long?

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #207 on: January 16, 2018, 07:37:07 PM »
Schools are closed here tomorrow and Thursday.  This 1" blizzard forecast will shut us down!!!!  And, by George, it's gettin' cold!!!!

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #208 on: January 16, 2018, 08:22:20 PM »
This is the week in Des Moines.   The motto, is  "Don't like the weather? Wait a day, it will change."

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #209 on: January 19, 2018, 11:16:59 AM »
Currently 10.4 degrees below normal for the month to date.  Moderating trend in progress, but only projected to be around or slightly above normal for the next week.  Who knows after that.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #210 on: January 19, 2018, 11:27:57 AM »
Des Moines is suppose to get up into the upper 40s today and tomorrow. Sunday we are in the path of a storm again. this time rain or a rain and snow mix into Monday.  The  local TV guys claim it is going to track up in NW Iowa, Southern Minnesota getting the snow and we get the rain.

Of course you know how that all figures out, no one's guess.  I haven't looked at the data yet to make my prediction.   Whatever we get tossed, it is better than two weeks of far below zero and accompanying wind chills.

Offline spc fresno

• Aspiring Meteorologist
« Reply #211 on: January 19, 2018, 05:45:52 PM »
Des Moines is suppose to get up into the upper 40s today and tomorrow. Sunday we are in the path of a storm again. this time rain or a rain and snow mix into Monday.  The  local TV guys claim it is going to track up in NW Iowa, Southern Minnesota getting the snow and we get the rain.

Of course you know how that all figures out, no one's guess.  I haven't looked at the data yet to make my prediction.   Whatever we get tossed, it is better than two weeks of far below zero and accompanying wind chills.

Wow! Over here in Central CA, we're finally cooling off into the lower 50s (50 degrees is chilly here :-P), after a week of highs in the 60s. We even had a little rain today, but nothing much (0.10" at my place). I bet the upper 40s feel like a tropical resort after being below zero for so long!
░▒▓█ have a great day! █▓▒░

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #212 on: January 19, 2018, 05:53:53 PM »
I bet the upper 40s feel like a tropical resort after being below zero for so long!

I'm just hoping to get the ice off the pond so the Goldfish can breathe.  I had JUST gotten it cleared last week before the cold came back.  It's only about 18" deep or so and the ice was about 8" thick, so they didn't have a lot of room left.  This morning, it was back to about 6" thick.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #213 on: January 21, 2018, 07:59:00 AM »
52 at the moment.  A few days ago, it was 2 at this time of morning.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #214 on: January 22, 2018, 08:11:24 AM »
The word for the next few days is 'muck'.  As cold as it was, the ground froze down several inches.  Warmer weather brought thawing of the surface snow, and now we've had rain.  The top part of the soil has thawed, but I'm not sure how far down or how much drainage/seepage there is.  The top is soft and muddy though to the point it's hard to walk in some places.

Online chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #215 on: January 22, 2018, 10:47:40 AM »
This is what we could do today. It has not started snowing here yet. but should soon

Sven Sundgaard

Verified account

@svensundgaard
 4m4 minutes ago
More
A headache of a snow storm when the gradient goes from zero to 12" over just 8 miles!!

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Online chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #217 on: January 23, 2018, 12:55:00 PM »
It may be a bigger number on the thermometer, but I'll tell you that 40, cloudy and windy sure doesn't feel very warm.

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #218 on: January 24, 2018, 08:26:35 AM »
Same here, WH.  We got up to 64F yesterday and I was still slightly chilled in a long-sleeved shirt.  The forecast here was for freezing night temps this coming Monday and Tuesday.  Looks like they've changed that to a slight (31F) freeze tonight and that's the only freeze in the foreseeable future forecast...rain moving in Friday night for a few days then clearing and...turning back colder.

As for the muck.  We had some clearing around the yard done (@*"&^#!!! privet hedge!!!) and some "topsoil" hauled in for low spots.  That topsoil is some sticky, gooey, slick snot.  I'm hoping that the freeze and slight heaving/"spewing" of the surface layer is what affected it and that's not typical of how it's going to be...will be glad when (hopefully) we get some grass growing in it.  When we had the work done it was really too late to get grass established so that is yet to be seen. 

Last Wednesday the high was 30.5F.  Sunday the high was 73.1F.   It looks like we're going to be stabilizing for a week in the upper-50F to mid/low-60F range...with rain thrown in for fun.  :roll:

ETA:  BUT...I'd rather have my weather than your thawed out frozen ground!!!!!!  I can see how that *would* make a mess!!!!!

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #219 on: January 28, 2018, 12:15:01 PM »
Still random chatter of another big freeze, but no imminent signs.  Gotta say, it can get evil cold in February, but it's different somehow.  You know there's only a few weeks until March, so it doesn't seem to be as ominous.  When it gets that cold in December or January, all you can see is weeks and weeks and weeks of it and the doom sets in.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #220 on: January 29, 2018, 12:44:34 PM »
62 degree spread this month from a low of 2 to a high of 64.

Sounds like Nyquil weather.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #221 on: February 02, 2018, 07:23:15 AM »
January ended about 3 1/2 degrees below normal and if it hadn't been for a small heat burst on the 31st, it might have been closer to 4 below normal which would have been the coolest in the last 6 years.

Offline LABob

• Forecaster
« Reply #222 on: February 02, 2018, 09:56:56 AM »
January ended about 3 1/2 degrees below normal and if it hadn't been for a small heat burst on the 31st, it might have been closer to 4 below normal which would have been the coolest in the last 6 years.

Our January is 8° above normal and our average RH was 33% below normal. The last few years has been interesting with the east cold and the west baking.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #223 on: February 02, 2018, 10:18:09 AM »
 That blocking High just off in pacific is culpirate. Think they are still calling it the blob.

It is unusual and never happened in modern time but tree ring evidence by paleoclimatologist shows a period around 1150 to be much longer with severe drought across the SW. Not great news for sure but also not unprecedented.
Randy

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #224 on: February 02, 2018, 11:01:43 AM »
Yeah, we're in an extended dry and warm period here. Our overnight low's have been higher that the average highs. (65°F vs: 63°F), dew points in the 30s.

I've got the Dew Point Depression and the Blue Sky Blues...

anything