Author Topic: Laptop drive a bit hicky  (Read 1320 times)

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
Laptop drive a bit hicky
« on: July 23, 2017, 11:13:45 AM »
Hey folks, got a wee conundrum with me lappy drive, heres whats gone on..

The fan was going most of the time, i have 3 Bearded Collies and the dust off them is unreal
So, i stripped the lappy down, done this many times before, remove every thing and give it a brush out
Put it all back together, then a day later the touch screen stops working, stripped it all down again, double
checks everything, i think it was the cable connector not in 100% so, touch screen back  \:D/
Then yesterday the machine freezes, then after a good while i got the BSOD saying Kernal Data Inpage Error
on the net it says it could be memory, hdd, virus etc, so i restarts it and did a windows memory diagnostic
that turns out ok, so i ran chkdsk C: /f /r  it stuck out at 11% for perhaps 2hrs, then the next time i checked
it was back into windows, so i tried to go on chrome and a few minutes later, it freezes again, same error
So, i then thought, perhaps its chrome crashing, so i googled chrome crashing in win 10, said to disable
hardware something or other in Chrome settings, that i did and it appeared to be ok for an hour or so
then it freezes again, so i ran another chkdsk, same again, stuck on 11% for hours. I rebooted it and i gets
the No Boot Disk, install an OS ya low life, not exact words but ya know what i mean.....

ok, i rebooted again and it went in to windows, i shut it down, removed the drive and put it in a caddy and
i have scanned the drive on my main PC and nothing was found, no issues scanning at all, I am inclined to
think that the drive is failing (3 years old) so i have ordered this for tomorrow and i am currently backing it all up
Does it sound like that to you?

« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 11:28:59 AM by Bashy »
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
Re: Laptop drive a bit hicky
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 03:12:02 PM »
Just a wee update, when i said i ran that scan, I ran it again, well, still running actually, but
this time its taking ages, i just checked the Event Viewer and i found this event, twice now

The device, \Device\Harddisk2\DR10, has a bad block.

So on that note, when the scan finally finished, it should tell me the drive is creamed...

This is the scan so far,

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> chkdsk E: /f /r
The type of the file system is NTFS.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
  459264 file records processed.
File verification completed.
  42283 large file records processed.
  0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
  569098 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
  0 unindexed files scanned.
  0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
Security descriptor verification completed.
  54918 data files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
  35418432 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.

Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data ...
  459248 files processed.
File data verification completed.

Stage 5: Looking for bad, free clusters ...
Progress: 85808351 of 118686694 done; Stage: 72%; Total: 76%; ETA:   1:16:47 ..

ps E: is only half the drive, the other partitions have come back clean though
Thankfully i have managed to grab all the data needed from the other partitions
Once E is finished with the scan i will grab windows and it will e put onto the new drive tomorrow
unless a bad sector stops me that is :/
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Phil23

• Senior Contributor
    • Phil's Backyard
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 03:37:39 PM »
Yep,

Sounds like the drive is on the way out.
I'd be trying to et a clone or image off it ASAP.

Lost one myself a month back; knew it was going, but left it that bit too long to for life to be easy with a simple clone & swap.

Also testdisk is worth a look. Particularly for creating an image file of the entire drive that can be interrogated later.

Phil

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 03:51:02 PM »
Cheers Phil, the above test came back clean, so i am running one on one of the other partitions and its stopped here atm

Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data ...
Progress: 42 of 236784 done; Stage:  0%; Total:  0%; ETA:  19:18:46 ...

So looks like theres the issue(s) I will leave it over night in the hope that it will kick itself and repair/patch over the bad sector(s)
Then i will used it as a backup drive like i did with the previous drive that failed, thats still going strong, as long as ya dont
use them as ya C:\ drive they run ok :)

I have managed to copy all files now to another drive ready to be copied to the new one tomorrow, the only issues with these
large drives, i.e. 1TB you end up with a lot more files in one place so it makes copying/moving files and bloody long job lol
Kind regards
Bashy