Author Topic: Goodbye Davis 7346.166 T/H Sensor it is now discontinued..  (Read 3082 times)

Offline rwilhour

• Scaled Instruments
Goodbye Davis 7346.166 T/H Sensor it is now discontinued..
« on: July 19, 2017, 03:54:54 PM »
Just caught word from Davis that the 7346.166 is now discontinued and they are out of stock.  The recommended substitution is the SHT15 Davis 7346.174.  I was also informally told that Davis is working on a consumer solution to update an older transmitter firmware from v2.0 to v2.5 so that a Davis 7346.070 SHT31 T/H sensor may be used seamlessly without having to make that temperature offset adjustment in the console.  \:D/

I was also told that the Davis 7346.174 SHT15 sensor is also no longer in production but Davis still has a readily available supply... I am not sure how much longer it will be carried.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 04:33:21 PM by rwilhour »

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Goodbye Davis 7346.166 T/H Sensor it is now discontinued..
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 06:06:41 PM »
Thanks for the information, figured this was coming.
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 06:23:58 PM »
I was also informally told that Davis is working on a consumer solution to update an older transmitter firmware from v2.0 to v2.5 so that a Davis 7346.070 SHT31 T/H sensor may be used seamlessly without having to make that temperature offset adjustment in the console.  \:D/
Thanks for the info Ryan. Curious, why bother with the firmware update when it's easily fixed anyway (I guess to take the "guess" out of it)? I'd rather see the 35 incorporated.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 06:25:56 PM »
I would hope that the transmitter has a non-leaking supercap.  I have replaced it twice in 5 years.   So I am guessing with the new transmitter, should I decide down the road to buy a new temp/humid sensor for the unit and be happy.    It doesn't take long to change one out, pain inthe tush but can be done.

Offline rwilhour

• Scaled Instruments
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 08:24:30 PM »
I was also informally told that Davis is working on a consumer solution to update an older transmitter firmware from v2.0 to v2.5 so that a Davis 7346.070 SHT31 T/H sensor may be used seamlessly without having to make that temperature offset adjustment in the console.  \:D/
Thanks for the info Ryan. Curious, why bother with the firmware update when it's easily fixed anyway (I guess to take the "guess" out of it)? I'd rather see the 35 incorporated.

An auto detect and assimilate would be nice  :lol:

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 08:37:36 PM »

An auto detect and assimilate would be nice  :lol:
"Resistance is futile".... :-)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 07:55:30 AM »
I am glad that Davis is going to offer the firmware update for the transmitters. I simply have too many consoles, Envoys, meteo... devices to go through them all with the offset. Once this update is available, I'll upgrade to the SHT31 gladly.

I wonder how they will handle this. An actual field firmware update or some kind of RMA exchange program? I don't recall seeing any kind of connector for this, but maybe I am not observant enough...  #-o

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline rwilhour

• Scaled Instruments
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 08:32:58 AM »
I am glad that Davis is going to offer the firmware update for the transmitters. I simply have too many consoles, Envoys, meteo... devices to go through them all with the offset. Once this update is available, I'll upgrade to the SHT31 gladly.

I wonder how they will handle this. An actual field firmware update or some kind of RMA exchange program? I don't recall seeing any kind of connector for this, but maybe I am not observant enough...  #-o

Greg H.

Years ago Davis used to sell an updater that plugged into console expansion port:

http://www.davisnet.com/product/vantage-pro2-updater/

The updater you would flash whatever firmware you wanted into it then you could update consoles with that firmware very easily.  I think it was discontinued because at some point they modified certain weatherlink models (usb and serial) to have the ability to update the console.  I could see Davis perhaps providing a unit such as this to update the transmitter.  The transmitter does have a "Comm" port (circled below), just no way for the consumer to use it.  At least I don't know how, but there are much smarter people than me that may know how (looks over at DeKay and belfryboy :lol:)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 08:48:30 AM by rwilhour »

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 08:35:47 AM »
Same here lots of different transmitters. Temperature stations, wireless anemometer, VP2's.  The Mfg. Code on transmitter makes it clear for me if the offset is needed.

If you ignore the letters, different products have own unique letters and they change but all transmitters work the same and have a date. Any date January 2016 (1601) and going forward are the new transmitters.
Example here AK1307 was made in 2013, month 07 so needs the  -.9 offset if using the new SHT31 sensors.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 09:04:47 AM »
Ryan odd no Mfg. code on that transmitter picture you posted.
Randy

Offline rwilhour

• Scaled Instruments
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 09:07:27 AM »
Same here lots of different transmitters. Temperature stations, wireless anemometer, VP2's.  The Mfg. Code on transmitter makes it clear for me if the offset is needed.

If you ignore the letters, different products have own unique letters and they change but all transmitters work the same and have a date. Any date January 2016 (1601) and going forward are the new transmitters.
Example here AK1307 was made in 2013, month 07 so needs the  -.9 offset if using the new SHT31 sensors.

Even easier than reading the date codes, I have noticed that all V2.5 transmitters have a sticker sandwiched between the pcb board and laquor lamination above the screw nearest the antenna port.  First production v2.5 boards have a green round sticker with a hand written "2.5",  later v2.5 boards have a white rectangular sticker with 2.5 typed on it.   Simultaneously, they began putting the same sticker on a newly manufactured Davis 7346.976 boards which indicate "2.0".

So if there is no sticker near the antenna port, then it is a transmitter from before v2.5 came out and it is safe to assume it is a v2.0, if there is a sticker there from a newer production, then it should have the version written on it.  Anyhow that is my observation from seeing hundreds of these things in the flesh...

Offline rwilhour

• Scaled Instruments
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 09:09:46 AM »
Ryan odd no Mfg. code on that transmitter picture you posted.

Yeah no model number either  :lol: , I photoshopped them both out so it would sort of be a generic picture.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 09:33:58 AM »
The port for the wired ISS/Console makes perfect sense.  There must be some kind of "magic incantation" to get the SIM transmitter into some kind of boot loader mode.
Thanks for the info Ryan, if you learn the availability and process for getting one, please let us know. I wonder if this is going to be a purchased item, or they will loan it out.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline rwilhour

• Scaled Instruments
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 09:48:56 AM »
The port for the wired ISS/Console makes perfect sense.  There must be some kind of "magic incantation" to get the SIM transmitter into some kind of boot loader mode.
Thanks for the info Ryan, if you learn the availability and process for getting one, please let us know. I wonder if this is going to be a purchased item, or they will loan it out.

Greg H.

Just like the old updater, my guess is that it will be a purchase product.  I still have 5 updaters from years gone by that I used to loan out.  I know if given the option I would purchase some ISS transmitter updaters and offer rental for a refundable deposit and charge enough to coverage the shipping fee.   This is all speculation of course, all depends on if Davis ever carries through and offers such a thing.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 05:53:57 PM »
Console/Envoy firmware updaters were made for both the VP1 & VP2 which were required at least once before the Direct from PC firmware versions could be installed. The updaters also required updating at one time which required a second updater to update the updater.

The ISS boards are have to be connectable/programmable in order to change the freq

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 07:50:22 PM »

Even easier than reading the date codes, I have noticed that all V2.5 transmitters have a sticker sandwiched between the pcb board and laquor lamination above the screw nearest the antenna port.  First production v2.5 boards have a green round sticker with a hand written "2.5",  later v2.5 boards have a white rectangular sticker with 2.5 typed on it.   Simultaneously, they began putting the same sticker on a newly manufactured Davis 7346.976 boards which indicate "2.0".

So if there is no sticker near the antenna port, then it is a transmitter from before v2.5 came out and it is safe to assume it is a v2.0, if there is a sticker there from a newer production, then it should have the version written on it.  Anyhow that is my observation from seeing hundreds of these things in the flesh...

Mine must be an oddball then. It has a YELLOW round sticker nearest the antenna port that has a hand written 5.2. The numbers are somewhat hard to make out though, but 5.2 appears to be what it says. My MFG code is AS160202006.
Davis Wireless VP2 SHT31 24hr 24CFM FARS