Author Topic: run two station off one console  (Read 2540 times)

Offline BruceMyers48

run two station off one console
« on: June 15, 2017, 08:43:36 PM »
Can I run two Davis stations off one console, one is Vantage vue and the other is Vantage pro 2. I have changed the ID on one already. Thanks for the help

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: run two station off one console
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 09:01:21 PM »
Not really sure what you are trying to say here?

If you mean 2 Davis stations (ISS as such) and one console (Display?) then in total together No, but using 1 station as say an anemometer then Yes.

Or do you mean something else?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 09:08:28 PM »
If I'm thinking right, yes, but it would be a relative PITA as you would have to go into the console setup and switch between the two which must be on different ID's.

Offline BruceMyers48

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 09:13:02 PM »
Yes two Stations (ISS) on one console.I didn't know if that was possible. I have an vantage vue ISS broadcasting full time and thought I could run two off my console. Maybe not?

Offline BruceMyers48

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 09:14:46 PM »
I guess I could leave it up for a back up or find someone selling the USB Data logger and console to run two.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 09:30:12 PM »
You can only run one ISS as primary station. The other station can transmit Temp/HUM or Wind by itself.  If you use as wind then wind on primary station gets bypassed. If you want to run multiple stations with all sensors Envoy 8X works but it needs its own data logger.
Randy

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 10:05:14 PM »
I have two VP2s (ISSs) and 2 consoles. As others have stated, you can only receive information from one ISS on each console. One of my ISSs is Station 1 and the other is Station 8. One console receives data from one Station 1 the other console gets its data from Station 8. For various reasons, sometimes I will change the data I am receiving on a console and switch from Station 1 to Station 8 or vice-a-versa. Unfortunately, if you are using Weatherlink or its equivalent, the software won't be able to say you got data from Station 1 from 5-9pm but Station 8 from 9-12pm. In short, you are mixing apples and oranges and if you don't care, no problem. The major differences I have between Station 1 and Station 8 are the rainfall measurements an issue I am wrestling with, and unfortunately, without a lot of luck. Hope this discussion is useful.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 10:10:07 PM »
I guess I could leave it up for a back up or find someone selling the USB Data logger and console to run two.

Each ISS requires a unique Tx ID and you could incorporate some specific sensors (Wind is the common one) from the secondary ISS to a console that was receiving from the primary ISS. With 2 full ISS's (Vue & VP2) then you effectively do have a backup (on the sensor side) but would need to change the single console ID to receive from either one.   

A additional logger and Envoy would allow you to run as 2 separate systems (data wise) even if you wanted to say split the wind from either one to either one.   

Offline BruceMyers48

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 12:12:38 AM »
Thanks for the advise, that does make sense. I will continue to run my vantage vue on it's own console and transmit to Weather underground, NWS, and purchase a Vantage pro2 console for the other ISS which is a vantage pro2. I plan to just monitor it not transmit.
My vantage vue does great, the rainfall measurements are close to my CoCoRaH's rain gauge.  The two ISS are at different ends of my 2 acres.
My vantage vue has been running almost non stop since 2014. The only down time I had was when I changed the hard drive to a SSD to keep the heat down and increase reliability.I use a small Zotac PC which I purchased in 2013 to transmit data to.