Author Topic: Rain and Dew Point Question  (Read 1246 times)

Offline Garagedude

Rain and Dew Point Question
« on: May 06, 2017, 12:11:40 AM »
Anyone know why my Acurite display for my 5 in 1 shows different readings than either WU or "My Acurite" online. The rain has been about.06 higher on the display and the dew point is 1 degree higher on the display?  Any help would be great and thanks in advance.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
Re: Rain and Dew Point Question
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 11:22:14 AM »
I have the same question. Why do I have different rain readings?

I'm using a SmartHUB to send my data to AcruRite and WU. I know the display gets its own readings from the 5-in-1 sensor and not from the SmartHUB. Yet my display, AcruRite app and WU can have different rain readings. 

If the display, AcruRite App or WU misses a data broadcast for the rain, wouldn't it just correct itself on the next data reading?

DATA REPORTING: Wind Speed: 18 second updates; Direction: 30 second updates
Outdoor temperature & humidity: 36 second updates
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 11:24:12 AM by worachj »

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline Garagedude

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 12:39:53 PM »
I'm not sure. I would like to know your feedback on the Smarthub, I'm using the Pc Connect and I'm finding some limits to its use.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 02:08:56 PM »
I've posted on the community forum about missing values for wind and humidity, but they don't seem interested in the issue... I don't check myacurite for rainfall, but if there is a problem with the other readings, it wouldn't surprise me if there isn't an issue with the rainfall data output as well. I don't care about myacurite personally, I just want the correct information flowing to the weather sites I am sharing with.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 03:00:38 PM »
I would like to know your feedback on the Smarthub, I'm using the Pc Connect and I'm finding some limits to its use.

The SmartHUB is nice with some minor problems. It can be problematic hooking it up with your network. The SmartHUB’s network protocol is somewhat lacking. Any changes I make to my own network like rebooting a router or changing a setting can sometimes cause it to go off line. Every once in a while one of my sensors will go offline. I’m not sure if that’s a SmartHUB connection problem or an AcuRite server/cloud problem, but I’ll need to pull and re-insert the batteries in the sensor to get it to connect again. I have 9 different sensors all with excellent strength, so the sensor's signal strength shouldn’t be the problem.

For the most part it’s great. I like being able to have up to 10 sensor sending data to AcuRite’s cloud. It can be problematic though with the network and dropping of sensors.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline Garagedude

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 10:57:43 PM »
I think I'll stick with the pc connect for now. Are there any other stations I can post data to using the pc connect other than WU?

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 09:06:54 AM »
I think I'll stick with the pc connect for now. Are there any other stations I can post data to using the pc connect other than WU?

Take a look at Vis Reader, or Weather Display software. These will work depending on the model console you own.

Offline buckizard

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 11:48:15 AM »

Take a look at Vis Reader, or Weather Display software. These will work depending on the model console you own.

I use VIS Reader and you'll see me on Acurite's forums trying to get people to change over to avoid their frustrations; both with customer service and the software. 

No PC Connect.  No Acurite app or their cloud.  Happiness.

I publish to WU, WB, PWS, CWOP. 

No downtime since using unless I am causing the downtime #-o .  No issues with data.  Most importantly, stuff I can work with, look at, and be helped with, if I need it. 
Ambient Weather Osprey