Author Topic: Okay, I'm now a fan.  (Read 2037 times)

Offline kmahler

• Contributor
    • KO4JY WX
Okay, I'm now a fan.
« on: April 15, 2017, 09:35:17 PM »
I have my meteobridge reporting to a number of places including Meteotemplate and MySQL. My late night glitches with WU went away after a reboot. Still worried, that might show back up one day. I don't trust things that fix themselves.

But, I'm a solid fan now. In fact I purchased two more MR3020's and flashed them to use with other stations. I'd get a meteostick if it wasn't so bloody expensive.

But, now I'm trying to get my WX camera working. Oddly enough I had an old Ubiquity camera laying around. It took some searching to find the old 1.1 firmware but I found it. But, I still can't get the meteobridge to work with the camera.

Below are screen shots of how everything is configured. I have yet to find any explanation on how to configure the camera for meteobridge. So I've taken some guesses. The fact that meteobridge only wants a password and not a username/password pair makes me think it's using the read only account name. But, that seems odd since it's called an account name in the camera and a password in the meteobridge.

Any help getting this working would be appreciated. Thanks.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Kevin Mahler
Skywarn Storm Spotter, AKQ3785
CWOP AV286
73 de KO4JY

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
Re: Okay, I'm now a fan.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 03:41:31 AM »
It needs the "enable ssh server" mark set and default root user "ubnt" needs to be there.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 03:43:02 AM by docbee »
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline kmahler

• Contributor
    • KO4JY WX
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 11:42:05 AM »
It needs the "enable ssh server" mark set and default root user "ubnt" needs to be there.

Thanks, I now have the meteohub talking to the camera. However, my images are not uploading to WU. Following are the screen shots for how everything is configured. Meteohub is giving the error "Error: Weather Underground Camera FTP upload failed: Could not read reply from control connection -- timed out. ncftpput _wucam: could not send file to remote host."

I have read over the wiki page and haven't found anything helpful. Any help is appreciated.

Yet, when I log into webcam.wunderground.com via FTP everything works fine as shown below.

Kevin Mahler
CWOP AV286
73 de KO4JY

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 11:46:45 AM »
WU is really picky on image size.  How large (in KB) is the file?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline kmahler

• Contributor
    • KO4JY WX
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 12:22:19 PM »
WU is really picky on image size.  How large (in KB) is the file?

I assumed that the meteobridge would size it appropriately. But, now things have gotten even more strange. Meteobridge is reporting errors in posting to WU. But, the images are showing up on WU. I keep getting things working but, I have no idea what changed to make them happen. That bothers me.

You can see below that the meteobridge reported an error posting the image at 12:14:51, but WU shows the image was updated at 12:15.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 12:37:45 PM by kmahler »
Kevin Mahler
CWOP AV286
73 de KO4JY

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 12:31:41 PM »
One observation:

I have seen in other users and myself, that MB sometimes shows "Meteotemplate: Error" - despite the fact everything is updating just fine. So maybe this is a similar issue, I noticed MB sometimes shows errors even though things are working fine.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 01:05:25 PM »
Reboot (keep same FW version) and see if it clears the error and still uploads the pic.  I've seen that before.  Or it could be that the KEEP ALIVE packets are not fast enough to respond to  WU cutting out.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline kmahler

• Contributor
    • KO4JY WX
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 01:08:51 PM »
Reboot (keep same FW version) and see if it clears the error and still uploads the pic.  I've seen that before.  Or it could be that the KEEP ALIVE packets are not fast enough to respond to  WU cutting out.

Thanks Bushman, I've rebooted a few times. It's odd, sometimes MB reports that every thing is fine. Then it reports errors. Yet, the photos are being uploaded either way. I think there is some timing issue happening randomly as you suggested.

Is there a way of overlaying the conditions on WU? I've tried overlaying in the Meteobridge Image thinking that might impact both but, so far no luck.
Kevin Mahler
CWOP AV286
73 de KO4JY

Offline kmahler

• Contributor
    • KO4JY WX
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 01:21:53 PM »
Now, in trying to access the Meteobridge Image, I can't access the link that is documented on the Wiki.

Kevin Mahler
CWOP AV286
73 de KO4JY

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 01:26:11 PM »
You are trying to access the cam pic only.  You need to click on the right hand icon that says "+ TEXT".  That will bring up the camplus.jpg, not the cam.jpg.  I suspect it has something to do with the Ubiquiti camera but not sure since I use a regular webcam.

Offline kmahler

• Contributor
    • KO4JY WX
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 01:28:26 PM »
You are trying to access the cam pic only.  You need to click on the right hand icon that says "+ TEXT".  That will bring up the camplus.jpg, not the cam.jpg.  I suspect it has something to do with the Ubiquiti camera but not sure since I use a regular webcam.

Well, the Wiki clearly says to click on the left camera icon but, I tried clicking on the right icon as you suggested. I get the same error.

Kevin Mahler
CWOP AV286
73 de KO4JY

Offline kmahler

• Contributor
    • KO4JY WX
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 02:26:54 PM »
Well, the documentation and the firmware are in need of an update.

Apparently the meteobridge server now requires an SSL connection. So changing the url from the link to https://[link] works. When you click on the icon as directed in the documentation it tries to connect to http://[link] which is refused by the server.

Kevin Mahler
CWOP AV286
73 de KO4JY

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 03:44:17 PM »
Weird.  HTTP works for my camplus image but its URL does not look like yours. It is content.metebridge.com/xxxxxxx/camplus.jpg (where X is the GUID for my MB redacted)  HTTPS gives a certificate error.  I am starting to wonder abut your DNS.

Offline kmahler

• Contributor
    • KO4JY WX
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 04:29:54 PM »
Weird.  HTTP works for my camplus image but its URL does not look like yours. It is content.metebridge.com/xxxxxxx/camplus.jpg (where X is the GUID for my MB redacted)  HTTPS gives a certificate error.  I am starting to wonder abut your DNS.

It's not DNS related. That is the url that is returned from the meteobridge. Here is the source code directly from the meteobridge.

<a href="http://admin.meteobridge.com/cam/xxxrREDACTEDxxx/camplus.jpg" target="_blank">
Kevin Mahler
CWOP AV286
73 de KO4JY

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 04:43:34 PM »
As is mine.  Strange.  I'm running MB 3.1

Offline kmahler

• Contributor
    • KO4JY WX
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2017, 04:45:45 PM »
As is mine.  Strange.  I'm running MB 3.1

I'm running Meteobridge 3.2 (Apr 14 2017, build 11095), FW 1.4
Kevin Mahler
CWOP AV286
73 de KO4JY

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2017, 04:49:35 PM »
Kmahler,

I hate to go off topic a bit, but does that fine offset/ambient wx station still work in the image? I am thinking of buying one as a back-up... has it lasted and is it any good? You seem to know your stuff. I think Meteobridge is the best way to upload myself. The camera looks good...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 04:51:13 PM by DoctorKnow »

Offline kmahler

• Contributor
    • KO4JY WX
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2017, 04:52:00 PM »
Kmahler,

I hate to go off topic a bit, but does that fine offset/ambient wx station still work in the image? I am thinking of buying one as a back-up... has it lasted and is it any good? You seem to know your stuff. I think Meteobridge is the best way to upload myself.

Tell you what, I'll start a thread in the Ambient category so as to not hijack my own thread.
Kevin Mahler
CWOP AV286
73 de KO4JY

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2017, 05:06:41 PM »
OK. Thanks. I am interested since you have many stations it appears by the webcam image.

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2017, 08:38:56 AM »
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 08:41:36 AM by docbee »
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

anything