Author Topic: Another problem with my Rainwise Mk III  (Read 2145 times)

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
Another problem with my Rainwise Mk III
« on: September 24, 2016, 09:12:45 AM »
Two weeks ago I separated my Rainwise anemometer from the rest of the Mk III array and moved the array to the eve of the house.  In the first inch + storm we had last week the rain gauge performed well, within 3% of my other Rainwise gauge and Cocorahs gauge.  Last night we had a good soaking storm.  My Rainwise Rainew gauge recorded .82", Cocorahs .79" and the gauge on my Rainwise Mk III .01". 

I have had the Rainwise bucket clog up with debris and record rain slowly, but never has it barely reported at all in such a significant storm.  In fact, I happen to have a spare bucket, so when I moved the station I replaced the clogged bucket with a brand new one, so I have trouble believing it could clog to the point of not functioning in just two weeks.  What do you think I will find when I get the ladder out and climb up there today?

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
Re: Another problem with my Rainwise Mk III
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 12:59:33 PM »
Well, I figured it out.  I was scratching my head for a little while.  Once the bucket was removed the tipper was found to be in perfect working order.  I could see daylight through the drip hole on the bucket, usually a sign that everything is well.  Put the bucket back on and tested the unit with 32 oz of water.  The water was clearly favoring one side and the bucket was not recording tips.  I went and got my other bucket and it was clear that I could see MORE daylight through the drip hole.  Hmm.  I exchanged buckets and tested the unit, it works perfectly! 

Once down off the roof I took apart the spare bucket and screen and found two tiny pieces of debris, one of which was carrying the drips of water far enough from the center tipping point to drip down one side, thus the one tip during the heavy rain the other night.  Mystery solved!

I should offer a shout out to the best wife in the world who was working up on the roof with me!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 05:26:53 PM by ggsteve »

anything