Author Topic: Did anyone see the Northern Lights last night?  (Read 3099 times)

Offline paleoguy

• Bob, Angola, NY
    • Angola Conservatory
Did anyone see the Northern Lights last night?
« on: October 25, 2011, 08:55:26 AM »
The Northern Lights apparently put on a spectacular display last night that reached much further south than usual.  I was out at 9 pm and 4:30 am, in western New York, but didn't see the show.  Did anyone get to see them or photograph them?
Angola Conservatory
Davis Vantage Pro, Cumulus, XP
CWOP DW8733, WU KNYANGOL4, PWS ANGCON

Offline smorris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
Re: Did anyone see the Northern Lights last night?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 09:22:05 AM »
I saw the tail end about 9:40 here in northern Ohio. My brother in west-central Ohio called and told me to go out and look. They saw waves of red and green (and I think he said blue.) All i saw was a fading red blob in the NNW.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus w/FARS, Leaf & Soil Station

CWOP • WU • AWEKAS • CoCoRaHS • Skywarn • MWWN • UK Met • PWS • WeatherBug • TwitterFacebook

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 11:24:43 AM »
   This is from www.spaceweather.com

AURORAS IN THE USA: A coronal mass ejection (CME) hit Earth on Oct. 24th at approximately 1800 UT (2:00 pm EDT). The impact strongly compressed Earth's magnetic field, directly exposing geosynchronous satellites to solar wind plasma, and sparked an intense geomagnetic storm. As night fell over North America, auroras spilled across the Canadian border into the contiguous United States.

"Wow, wow, wow! These were the best Northern Lights I've seen since 2004," says Shawn Malone, who took this picture from the shores of Lake Superior in Michigan:

"The auroras filled the sky in every direction--even to the south," he says.
Indeed, the display spread all the way down to Arkansas. "When I saw the alert, I ran outside and immediately saw red auroras," reports Brian Emfinger from the city of Ozark. "Within a few minutes the auroras went crazy! Unbelievable!"
Auroras were seen or photographed in more than half of all US states including Alabama, Wisconsin, New Mexico, Tennessee, Missouri, Illinois, Nebraska, Kentucky, North Carolina, Indiana, Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa, Maryland, New York, Montana, Ohio, Colorado, Pennsylvania, Washington, Minnesota, Maine, Michigan, Oregon, Arkansas and California. Many observers, especially in the deep south, commented on the pure red color of the lights they saw. These rare all-red auroras sometimes appear during intense geomagnetic storms. They occur some 300 to 500 km above Earth's surface and are not yet fully understood.

The storm is subsiding now. Nevertheless, high-latitude sky watchers should remain alert for auroras as Earth's magnetic field continues to reverberate from the CME impact.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 01:18:12 PM »
The Northern Lights apparently put on a spectacular display last night that reached much further south than usual.  I was out at 9 pm and 4:30 am, in western New York, but didn't see the show.  Did anyone get to see them or photograph them?

I couldn't see the lights, but I did see a meteor when I got home from work this morning.  It must be from the tail end of the Orionids.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DJMWX86

• Senior Contributor
  • I LOVE WX!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 10:01:35 PM »
No our light pollution killed the moment. Maybe I'll move to canada. :grin:
Thanks.
Doug
CW2334=CWOP
KOHMOREL1=WUnderground
OH-CY-13=CoCoRaHS
WX Station: Davis VP2 6152 (Wireless)
WX OS: VWS 15.00
VWSaprs: v. 2.0.2.0.

[

Offline paleoguy

• Bob, Angola, NY
    • Angola Conservatory
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 05:18:12 AM »
Yeah, light pollution is bad around here, too (environs of Buffalo).  The Canadian solution has been considered here, as well.  LOL
Angola Conservatory
Davis Vantage Pro, Cumulus, XP
CWOP DW8733, WU KNYANGOL4, PWS ANGCON

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 07:15:49 AM »
My wife and I could only see a red hue on the northern horizon here in Central Arkansas, plus we had some light pollution here as well to deal with.  This is only the second time I've seen the lights in my lifetime here in Arkansas.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline IMADreamer

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 03:26:59 PM »
I'm still sad I missed them.  Had I know about them I'd have found a spot to see them. :(
Hello my name is Jason, I am a Meteorologist, farmer, and auto journalist.
www.infinite-garage.com

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 03:56:32 PM »
I'm still sad I missed them.  Had I know about them I'd have found a spot to see them. :(
   www.spaceweather.com  has an alert service for aurouras for a monthly fee, I think about $4/month.  But by going to their website you can see the auroural oval depicted for free and tell if it is showing in your area.

Offline IMADreamer

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 01:22:09 PM »
Thanks, I'll have to keep an eye on that site.  Maybe I'll see them someday.
Hello my name is Jason, I am a Meteorologist, farmer, and auto journalist.
www.infinite-garage.com