Author Topic: NOAA WEATHER RADIO  (Read 149415 times)

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Re: NOAA WEATHER RADIO
« Reply #775 on: December 11, 2017, 02:24:13 PM »
You may have noticed a couple of changes in some pages on noaaweatherradio.org based on our beta running of automated stream quality assessment.
1) the main player now shows the 'Gold Star' quality status for each feed based on the prior 7 days scores for that stream.
2) the dynamic Hazards page now shows the quality status in the pop-up/mouse-over tooltips for each displayed station.

Lastly, if you're using the PWS radio player, you'll see hollow and filled stars before the station callsign in the drop-down selection list for station.  There will be a future update to the PWS player that more fully explains (and additionally displays) the quality status.

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #776 on: December 11, 2017, 03:06:36 PM »
So stars are given out for taking a mono stream and splitting it into FAKE stereo. Makes sense, now we can listen to dual crappy stream equally both ears.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 05:32:46 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #777 on: December 11, 2017, 04:10:30 PM »
In reality, out of all the streams listed, only a couple dozen are streaming only one channel, and the majority of them are third party streams, and not this WxForum community generally..,.
Last report showed 54 or so streams with Stars... not bad... many others are 'on the verge' and just need to tweak a bit of volume up or down, or other minor or something similar...
the parameters are pretty liberal in most cases... and not every parameter is easily measured, such as inherent hum, some types of noise... so a few 'get away' with some of that, but
still get a star... so be it...  Availability of stream over last 7 days is most weighted, with volume 'window' second.

One thing to remember about the Stars... they're a measure of a Stream's 'performance not necessarily any provider'...  though the key elements rest with the provider, most of the time.

Yep, if the stream is encoded as stereo, and most streams are, then both channels equal are desired... at least that throws the audio to the middle... Not everybody listens with a desktop... and is especially annoying to someone with headphones, ear buds, switching between streams... or is 'deaf' in the ear that a single channel is on... also gives more 'apparent' power to the stream.  Lot's of reasons, and we mention two channels several times in the how to, quality, etc...  We prefer to think of it as 'MONO'... since 'left only' or 'right only' is 'Grossly irritating Unbalanced Stereo".
Regardless of that, availability and volume parameters are the most important.  But NO Star for 'single channel' ! In effect, it becomes a 'volume' parameter. 
Another Star Preventer is too low a stream Bit Rate, and or Sampling Rate ... but a 'bad strem' is still better than No Stream, especially if there is no alternate available for that area.... Initial Criteria is spelled out in the 'tool tip' in the legends.

And these criteria and the principle have been / are being / hashed out, developed, and refined over months, not just on the 'spur of the moment' and are the results of long term observation, monitoring, experiments, discussion, and Promises Made to NOAA....

Coming soon, the 'analysis suite' tools and notifications for providers, ....  still wrestling with some things... Ken and Doug don't have much hair left.
When that goes live and folks submit a form and subscribe, each provider will know the 'objective' status of the parameters used, and will be ale to
check the actual 'current' status, as well as the 'daily' analysis, which completes, currently, about 11PM ET, or any 'random' samoles,....
"Availability' checks are run hourly to see if each stream server accessible at that time...
Lots of goodies...
Save a life!
Mike
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 04:21:36 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline mikev

« Reply #778 on: December 14, 2017, 11:05:01 PM »
I'm one of those streaming real mono audio (just one channel), instead of fake stereo (two channels, both playing the same thing). I'm only streaming 16 Kbps since I'm only streaming one channel. If I were streaming stereo, I'd double the bitrate accordingly. But I don't see any need to waste bandwidth - my ISP has a monthly bandwidth cap and my server provider does too - for something that doesn't really change how it will sound.

Removing the stereo/32 Kbps requirement, I'm curious which star I would get, if any. I'm happy with my stream quality as it is, and won't be changing things just for that mark. Just wondering what I'd get.

Offline NWROrg Team

• Save A Life
  • Contributor
    • NOAA All Hazards Weather Radio
NOAA Weather Radio Org Quality / Reliability Tools
« Reply #779 on: December 15, 2017, 01:49:10 AM »
NOAA Weather Radio Org Quality / Reliability Tools

ANNOUNCING

Now Live and Available for NOAA Weather Radio Org Stream Providers

Initial Release Overview and examples at this thread:
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=33392

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
« Reply #780 on: December 16, 2017, 09:59:48 AM »
Got my first quality report last night. It indicated my volume was slightly high. I adjusted it downward slightly, ran a new test, now it shows as GOOD.

Congrats to the NWROrg Team. Outstanding set of tools you've provided for us. =D>

Steve

Offline NWROrg Team

• Save A Life
  • Contributor
URL INCORRECT When Form Submitted
« Reply #781 on: December 16, 2017, 12:06:04 PM »

Offline ed2kayak

• Ed
  • Forecaster
  • Davis Vantage Pro2 w/12 hr FARS, solar/uv
    • Cumberland Valley Weather
« Reply #782 on: December 16, 2017, 10:37:18 PM »
 =D>
Very nice implementation of Quality Tools Motioning website. I just looked at my stream live.

Your team deserves a lot of credit for this project.

On a side note I've been using Pira CZ silence detector, a previously suggested monitoring tool for about 5 weeks. It looks to be a useful tool.

Thanks

Ed
Ed
CoCoRaHS PA-CD-6,  Weather Underground KPAMECHA7, CWOP DW5425

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #783 on: December 17, 2017, 02:51:16 PM »
I have read that there are some members that are not happy having their NOAA Radio stream disabled.

I too have had mine disabled before for various reasons, many times... did it make me happy, no. However, it provided me the opportunity to improve my stream.

Having had experienced these inconvienences drove me to volunteer as a tester for the Quality Tool Monitoring project. I was accepted and the tool now provides me with great data on the quality of my stream.

The people that started and now help the entire NOAA Radio Org should be applaued for all they have done and continue to do.  To be recognized by NOAA is a real blessing!!

THANKS TO ALL!!!!

Joe

https://joesweather.info
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 24-FARS Wireless
WeatherLink Live

Offline NWROrg Team

• Save A Life
  • Contributor

Offline tim273

• Contributor
« Reply #785 on: January 27, 2018, 09:29:03 AM »
Just an FYI, my stream will be down from 2/7/2018 - 2/11/2018 while we move.  I hope to get it back up and running ASAP.

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #786 on: February 07, 2018, 06:44:12 PM »
WXJ55 is back on the air as of 13:30 CST.

As of this morning 02/08/2018, WXJ55 is pretty much non usable. A lot of background noise. Tried the channel with my Midland WR300 with the same result. NWS Little Rock is aware of the problem and working on it with the phone company.

WXJ55 has a pretty good hum in it. Have a Tweet out to the NWS Little Rock office with that info. The hum is on the radio transmission itself, not computer related.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 02:31:07 PM by sacreyweather »
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline mikev

« Reply #787 on: February 09, 2018, 08:35:36 AM »
Just a note that KHB36 will be off-air from 10a-5p today for maintenance at the transmitter site. Since there are two of us streaming, along with two "Alert Eagle" streams listed, all will be silent during that time.

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #788 on: February 24, 2018, 07:59:04 PM »
It is on days such as these I am so glad we took the plunge and created this awesome service!!!!!  During the height of the severe weather here, I had 76 listeners on at the same time at one point (36 on Crushed Box and 40 on Broadcastify). Especially considering I am the only one transmitting in  Arkansas, that I know of.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline NWROrg Team

• Save A Life
  • Contributor
« Reply #789 on: February 24, 2018, 10:02:14 PM »

It is on days such as these I am so glad we took the plunge and created this awesome service!!!!!  During the height of the severe weather here, I had 76 listeners on at the same time at one point (36 on Crushed Box and 40 on Broadcastify). Especially considering I am the only one transmitting in  Arkansas, that I know of.

John
February 23, NWROrg was officially a Year Old, and at last glance, we had about 180 streams from about 150 providers. Most of which are online most of the time, sort of, and another 50 or so that have 'fallen by the wayside' for one reason or another...  Remarkable.
And it couldn't have happened without you, John...
....remember this bit of Communication just about a year ago?
(from: http://noaaweatherradio.org/about/)
When the 'think tank' decided to proceed, there had been no discussion about a website "name". Then, Feb 22, 2017. the following communications appeared:

John Sacrey (Echo Valley Weather) to the group,
"Going to let you know that the domain name
noaaweatherradio.org is available currently."

Mike Sparks (Frankfort Weather US), responded:
"Actually, it isn't... I got it earlier today, supposedly!
Coincidentally! Strange how great minds work!"

John, "That's scary, Mike!!!!"

Ken True (Saratoga-Weather.org), "Really scary, I was mulling about
'noaaweatherradio.org' too, earlier today!"

So, there you have it. True Story. That's how it works with this bunch.

Additionally. about 57 streams b(providers) are signed up for Doug Chappelle's important addition to the website, QRA (Quality and Reliablity Tools)... for you newbies, that's the monitoring system that generates the NWROrg official GoldStar "award" as well as the providing tools for improving and maintain stream quality and reliability.  Today about 75 of the streams have Stars!  Wow!

All this is held together by Ken True's "One File to Rule Them All" suite of scripts, including the NWROrg template for use on Personal Weather Websites, for providers... which automatically updates your site when changes are made at NWROrg.

And Today, at one year old, here's a 'developing' new feature on for the ALL HAZARDS stream page, not quite ready for production yet, but check out the 'premise' at http://noaaweatherradio.org/probwwa2/indexALT.php

It's been a real Trip!  Thanks to the WxForum Community, and the NWR Core Team... Ken, Bob, John, Jim, Chris, Doug and Mike

Offline lddaly

• Forecaster
« Reply #790 on: March 10, 2018, 10:16:52 PM »
It was surprising to see there was no one streaming KEC56 from the Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex, so we decided to give it a try. http://www.planoweather.com/wxradio.php

Offline NWROrg Team

• Save A Life
  • Contributor
« Reply #791 on: March 10, 2018, 11:07:25 PM »
It was surprising to see there was no one streaming KEC56 from the Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex, so we decided to give it a try. http://www.planoweather.com/wxradio.php
Welcome Aboard!  Last year we had a feed for KEC55, but it fell away for some reason... Good to see DFW area back on list!   Well get added onto hazards map next day or so...
Save a Life!

Offline hunter362

• Fairmount Hill's Weather
« Reply #792 on: March 11, 2018, 11:37:00 AM »

John
What software are you using that shows how many listeners you have?

Offline tim273

• Contributor
« Reply #793 on: March 17, 2018, 04:48:56 PM »
What software are you using that shows how many listeners you have?

On an Icecast server it tells you how many listeners you have and the max number, Broadcastify has that too.  In addition, you could use Piwik (or Matomo as it is now known as).  I have it installed on my Icecast server and use a script to scrape the logs.

https://matomo.org/
https://matomo.org/faq/how-to/faq_25296/
https://plugins.matomo.org/IcecastStatistics

It won't necessarily tell you how many listeners per hour, but it will give you an idea at least.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 04:54:06 PM by tim273 »

Offline tmabell

• Forecaster
    • Mishawaka Weather
« Reply #794 on: March 24, 2018, 07:18:25 PM »
I've been working to update my site to be ssl secure and it mostly is.  I've not found a way as yet to get the jplayer with my Broadwave stream to run using https access.  Any ideas among the experts here?

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #795 on: March 24, 2018, 11:01:19 PM »
I've been working to update my site to be ssl secure and it mostly is.  I've not found a way as yet to get the jplayer with my Broadwave stream to run using https access.  Any ideas among the experts here?
Broadwave is a 'separate' server... it is NOT https... in Brpadwave 'options' tab, see what it's saying to connect to....

Offline tmabell

• Forecaster
    • Mishawaka Weather
« Reply #796 on: March 25, 2018, 05:46:00 AM »
Correct!  I believe that the jplayer is what is not ssl compatible.

Offline NWROrg Team

• Save A Life
  • Contributor
« Reply #797 on: March 27, 2018, 05:17:27 PM »
Heading into Spring Storm season...
Good time to check stream readiness, etc.

If you're not streaming NOAA Weather Radio broadcasts, details are available on site..."How To"...
http://noaaweatherradio.org

For NEWBIES.... NWROrg was founded and is maintained by members of the WxForum community to replace WU's abrupt changes last year.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #798 on: March 28, 2018, 01:30:05 PM »
I noticed something is up with my Bismarck, ND alternate feed.  Using the player on my site or on the main Noaaweatherradio.org, it comes up stream not available.

But I if I go to Broadcastify's page, I can play it there just fine.

https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/ctid/1994
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline NWROrg Team

• Save A Life
  • Contributor
« Reply #799 on: March 28, 2018, 02:15:29 PM »
 :-k
Now, that is strange.... looks like Broadcastify/RadioReference now has your alternate stream at a different source URL than we had on record... sometimes a bizarre thing or two happens with the other servers...
Updated our connection database... should be fine now.

anything