Author Topic: NOAA WEATHER RADIO  (Read 149415 times)

Offline phillipdampier

Re: NOAA WEATHER RADIO
« Reply #725 on: September 08, 2017, 11:37:41 AM »
My feed on Broadcastify is still up and running. It is why I have redundant feeds, in case one goes down.

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #726 on: September 08, 2017, 11:42:59 AM »
I may look into Broadcastify as a backup this evening when I arrive home from work.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline codegod

• Software Developer
    • Crushed Box Software
« Reply #727 on: September 08, 2017, 01:45:59 PM »
Hey Guys,

Sorry for being MIA, Things are back up! Not sure what happened may IceCast crashed. I see a lot of connections to the West Palm Beach feed.

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #728 on: September 08, 2017, 02:00:58 PM »
Thanks, Chris for the update!!!!
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline codegod

• Software Developer
    • Crushed Box Software
« Reply #729 on: September 08, 2017, 02:04:30 PM »
Anybody know the best settings for the icecast server? It appears to be crashing when the load is very high i.e seeing over 1000 people on the West Palm Beach feed.

Offline tim273

• Contributor
« Reply #730 on: September 08, 2017, 02:20:26 PM »
Anybody know the best settings for the icecast server? It appears to be crashing when the load is very high i.e seeing over 1000 people on the West Palm Beach feed.

I don't know off the top of my head, but you could try the icecast forum.  Here's a couple links that might help:

http://icecast.imux.net/viewtopic.php?t=7692&sid=d7120fc51fd347669051374bdd8d677f
http://icecast.org/loadtest/
http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/icecast-dev/2005-July/001462.html

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #731 on: September 08, 2017, 02:48:18 PM »
The main site NOAA WEATHER RADIO ORG is running over 2000 hits per hour since the 5th, over 60,000 daily.... somebody's server could definitely be overloaded.... dropped off considerably so far today with the WxDns slowdown... I've the Owenton KY feed running through WxDyns and the utikities I posted for monitoring have notified me a couple of times it couldn't access server, but it's immediately reconnected..,. so it's not so much an encoder connection, on my end, as a stream connection from WAN... timing out on stream access...

• Forecaster
« Reply #732 on: September 08, 2017, 02:57:25 PM »
...now that feed is connection to server is timing in and out again...   ](*,)

The following error(s) has been reported
Server FktWx5 reports Possible Time Out Connecting to server

Any previous error's have now reported resolved and all servers are now shown as up

-----
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 02:59:25 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline USAF_Pride

« Reply #733 on: September 09, 2017, 06:32:30 AM »

Couple of solutions:
Disconnect users after x amount of time
Limit the number of connections

These settings could be implemented during severe weather events.  Maybe a limit of 10 minutes as I think it would repeat itself within that time frame. How often does the information change within an hour?

One of the links that @tim273 posted has an explanation of server maximums.

Maybe a notification on noaaweatherradio.org that there is high server load due to the hurricane and to please limit listening. Maybe a "donate" button so more resources can be brought to bear in the future?

As of 6:45AM EST, 9 SEP 17 (statistics since the server was restarted, so they are a bit low)
Code: [Select]
Stream Name: West Palm Beach 162.475
Bitrate: 32
Listeners (current): 69
Listeners (peak): 202
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 08:23:18 AM by USAF_Pride »

Offline phillipdampier

« Reply #734 on: September 09, 2017, 12:08:03 PM »
It is only going to get much worse. Broadcastify reports its W Palm Beach feed has an average of 4,000-5,000 listeners as of last night, hour after hour all night long. A number of those are likely streaming the feed continuously, listening for future updates, warnings, etc. When a severe weather event occurs, historically a lot of listeners park on the stream, sometimes for hours if it is a prolonged event with ongoing warnings and updates.

You can expect that number to approach 8,000-9,000 concurrent listeners when Irma makes landfall. There have been feeds on Broadcastify that approached 15,000 concurrent listeners, so be aware if the alternative is noaaweatherradio.org, many thousands will likely find their way there as well.

Offline codegod

• Software Developer
    • Crushed Box Software
« Reply #735 on: September 09, 2017, 06:45:06 PM »
Hey guys actually not 100% sure it was a high load problem or not. Still investigating on exact cause. At any rate I think things have been quite stable since yesterdays issues.

• Forecaster
« Reply #736 on: September 10, 2017, 10:23:21 AM »
Hey guys actually not 100% sure it was a high load problem or not. Still investigating on exact cause. At any rate I think things have been quite stable since yesterdays issues.
I'm not sure the entire issue was with the Icecast, either... I was tracing timeouts on my route into and out of the Level 3 router in NYC ....
I've turned on the 'experimental' Miami direct forecast feeds, something I should have done earlier, that may help with some of the SEastern feeds....
We've also picked up a couple of new feeds out of Georgia, and a couple alternates.... The Daytona Beach feed had changed URLs, and is back up...
Traffic through noaaweatherradio.org peaked at
3200 visits and 143550 hits yesterday from 3000 different sites
interesting in that all the feed links are 'click thrus' to the feeds!

Offline tim273

• Contributor
« Reply #737 on: October 02, 2017, 08:21:35 PM »
So I just contacted the NWS Twin Cities because our weather radio broadcast is down.  They said it was a cut fiber line somewhere and that it would probably be down most, if not all, of the night.  So my feed was static, but I set a squelch value so that it's quiet now.  I figure silence is better than static.  Anyway, just an FYI that it's temporary.

Offline mikev

« Reply #738 on: October 30, 2017, 09:48:03 AM »
Just a note that my feed of Manassas VA is currently down. An extended power failure early this morning drained my UPS and laptop batteries, and the power had not returned before I left for work today. I should have it back up this afternoon, but in the event I can't run home between jobs, it will be late this evening at the absolute latest.

• Forecaster
« Reply #739 on: November 01, 2017, 12:43:45 PM »
EEYOW...
Just did completed a 'picky' stream audit... we're all over the place this morning as far as quality and reliability.... about as bad as I've ever seen it.  Something about November????

Behind the scenes, there are some 'automatic' monitoring scripts being refined, and reference points being established...
... consideration is being given to having an analysis page added to the site, so an operator can check their 'stream parameters'
referenced to those arbitrary standards.  Now, so far, they work quite well... but the 'ear test' still must be applied, since
some 'quality' points are extremely difficult to 'reference', such as aliasing and some types of noise.

Attached 4 page PDF example of some information the NWRorg team is exploring, still in development and evaluation..

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #740 on: November 01, 2017, 01:41:10 PM »
EEYOW...
Just did completed a 'picky' stream audit... we're all over the place this morning as far as quality and reliability.... about as bad as I've ever seen it.  Something about November????

Behind the scenes, there are some 'automatic' monitoring scripts being refined, and reference points being established...
... consideration is being given to having an analysis page added to the site, so an operator can check their 'stream parameters'
referenced to those arbitrary standards.  Now, so far, they work quite well... but the 'ear test' still must be applied, since
some 'quality' points are extremely difficult to 'reference', such as aliasing and some types of noise.

Attached 4 page PDF example of some information the NWRorg team is exploring, still in development and evaluation..

Nice work, Mike and Team!!!

When can I get the real thing??

Joe
https://joesweather.info
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 24-FARS Wireless
WeatherLink Live

• Forecaster
« Reply #741 on: November 01, 2017, 01:52:17 PM »
Any credit goes to CHAPPELLE WEATHER, and Doug, for these prototypes...

IF it becomes available, We don't know. When, We don't Know. It's testing and exploration.... also server demands... it can take over an hour to run a 'daily' report sampling, for example.

Since today's 'audit' of streams was so horrible, I felt I'd go ahead and reveal some of the 'objective' monitoring we're
trying to implement, in addition to the 'subjective' ear test exclusively.

Sad thing,   :-"  many of the issues noted might be fixed with a simple touch to a volume control, or a new audio cable, eg....
or even as simply as 'checking to see if the feed is on!"
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 01:54:40 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline mikev

« Reply #742 on: November 03, 2017, 09:41:37 AM »
EEYOW...

Not likely November in general, but the joys of changing temperatures can bring temperature inversions that increase the likelihood of tropospheric ducting. This can cause the signal of a distant transmitter to be much stronger, causing interference to the signal from the local transmitter. This might explain some of the audio quality issues.

At the right times, I've heard the State College PA and Norfolk VA transmitters clearer than my local Manassas VA transmitter!

Those with SDR receivers could reduce the effects of ducting by reducing the RF gain level of their receiver. I keep the gain on mine only as high as necessary to receive the signal I want reliably. A noise filter on the resulting audio also helps to filter out some of the interference created by the distant transmitter.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 09:46:46 AM by mikev »

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #743 on: November 03, 2017, 11:04:57 AM »
Those with SDR receivers could reduce the effects of ducting by reducing the RF gain level of their receiver. I keep the gain on mine only as high as necessary to receive the signal I want reliably. A noise filter on the resulting audio also helps to filter out some of the interference created by the distant transmitter.

I am running the PI setup.  Can it be tweaked from those?

It won't be until spring, but I'm hoping I can get a bit better signal by moving my PI from the basement to my garage.  I have to re-wire some power.  Then I'll be able to get my antenna up into the attic for better reception.  I'll move my lightning detector up higher as well.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline mikev

« Reply #744 on: November 03, 2017, 11:35:42 AM »

I am running the PI setup.  Can it be tweaked from those?

It won't be until spring, but I'm hoping I can get a bit better signal by moving my PI from the basement to my garage.  I have to re-wire some power.  Then I'll be able to get my antenna up into the attic for better reception.  I'll move my lightning detector up higher as well.
I can't say for sure. I'd be surprised if there wasn't some way to adjust the RF gain, but it may depend on the binaries you're using and the SDR receiver as well. I'm running SDRsharp on a Windows laptop for my setup, making it just a setting in the program to adjust the gain.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #745 on: November 03, 2017, 11:42:43 AM »
I have some "marginal" hum in my feed.  But a lot clearer than others I've listened to.  Only problem is I don't have a "regular" weather radio to compare it to.  Need to listen to it and make sure it's not there to begin with.
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

• Forecaster
« Reply #746 on: November 03, 2017, 12:22:08 PM »
thing about filters... this is narrow band audio, voice, specifically Male on most streams... filtering too much 'low end' destroys the 'power', depth of the signal, and often results in 'tinny' sound. Some streams are quite 'tinny'. and can actually 'emphasize' the higher noise frequencies ... try to stream flat curve 100/150 HZ - 5000 Hz if possible... your stream will sound much clearer, we think.
the quick build ¼ wave ground plane antenna is very effective for marginal signals,
http://noaaweatherradio.org/howto.html#ant
One of the biggest irritants is excessive or low stream volume...
Single biggest irritant is 'one channel only'... especially if volume out of 'range'.
streams go offline, audio stops... Anthony (Fox in the Wind) found a great utility for monitoring,
and we found another.... virtually no performance hit on device, and will send you an email if something fails.
http://noaaweatherradio.org/quality/monitor.html

Merc  lot of streams have some small degree of 'hum',... and as long as it meets the 'ear test' its fine... I checked your stream a few moments ago, and it sounded great.
Sometimes getting completely 'rid' of it is near impossible... My Owenton KY stream has noise, due to strength of signal and my environment... I probably could improve it some more, well, I know I could, but that will take a bit of work and a big 'roundTOit" served on a "Let's Do It Anyway" dish of will power and energy" ... partly because I use it as a reference at times, and partially because I'm just lazy.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #747 on: November 03, 2017, 01:21:36 PM »
Merc  lot of streams have some small degree of 'hum',... and as long as it meets the 'ear test' its fine... I checked your stream a few moments ago, and it sounded great.

Thanks for checking!  I'm still planning on moving my PI out and up.  Mostly because I have to move my Blitz station anyway.  I had new siding put up this summer.  First I had some insulation put up that has a foil backer.  I think it has degraded my Blitz reception.  So I'll be moving my H field up into the attic.  Might as well put my PI up next to it and get max results.

• Forecaster
« Reply #748 on: November 03, 2017, 02:41:51 PM »
Uh...yeah... I've got that damn 'foil' insulation panel stuff on my home... part of the reason I have so much noise... it traps noise inside it's enclosure space... trouble is, it's not real Aluminum foil,.. a mylar aluminum combination combination or some weird plastic that's supposed to be aluminum clad.... so 'non-conductive' by grounding... tried that. Put an EM meter next to it and it will 'peg' in certain locations... crap.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #749 on: November 03, 2017, 03:17:56 PM »
I suppose any noise on the interior of the house could be reflected around.  Bouncing off the foil.

When I put my H field into the attic, I'm probably going to buy some aluminum screen.  Roll it out on top of the insulation in the attic.  Hopefully have some sort of shielding to the H Field.  Protect it from any internal noise I may have going on in the house.

My concern is that I may have noise coming from some high tension power lines, about 800 feet from my house.  Nothing I'll be able to do about that.

anything