Author Topic: NOAA WEATHER RADIO  (Read 149415 times)

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
Re: NOAA WEATHER RADIO
« Reply #1000 on: February 20, 2019, 11:20:17 PM »
Hey Note to the streamer on kzz77 feed.  Consistent hum on the audio feed also.  Will be checking out the webpage to see if any glitches happen.

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
« Reply #1001 on: February 22, 2019, 01:44:15 PM »
Noticed wxn82 feed is down.  Wasn't sure if they moved to a new location to stream or not but noted that.  Going to be interesting.  Hope we don't lose power during this weather event this weekend.

Offline NWROrg Team

• Save A Life
  • Contributor
    • NOAA All Hazards Weather Radio
Way to Go Community!
« Reply #1002 on: February 27, 2019, 03:14:52 PM »
You Providers and Friends are the 'stockholders' in our WxForum community project...

CONGRATULATIONS!

5 NOAAWEATHERRADIOORG Stars to Kelsey Black, and Boise State Public Radio...

Kelsey "Snow Shoed in" to the KBSS transmitter site yesterday...

... then traveled about a mile and a half to a nearby ridge
and installed the 5th IDAHO NOAA Radio Receiver and Stream
(Sun Valley ID)

Kelsey and BSPR / Boise State Univ  plan at least 3 more streams.

Save A Life!

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
« Reply #1003 on: February 28, 2019, 03:13:28 AM »
Right on.  Twin falls would be a good one to add, as well as the wxk88 transmitter I can't spell the city name for the life of me.
I'm at some point looking to get another antenna up with another radio and another computer to stream wng668 full time, if I can get a beam antenna pointing in that direction.  So that we have an additional stream.  Both of which from my end.
I don't know of anyone in my local area who has the stuff for a beam antenna or whatnot but if I get one I intend to add that ot the list.

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #1004 on: February 28, 2019, 09:37:03 AM »
Right on.  Twin falls would be a good one to add, as well as the wxk88 transmitter I can't spell the city name for the life of me.
I'm at some point looking to get another antenna up with another radio and another computer to stream wng668 full time, if I can get a beam antenna pointing in that direction.  So that we have an additional stream.  Both of which from my end.
I don't know of anyone in my local area who has the stuff for a beam antenna or whatnot but if I get one I intend to add that ot the list.

For that matter, about any good VHF TV Yagi antenna....  but the simplest might be on the page at https://noaaweatherradio.org/howto.html  ... click the image to hear the difference.   If you can't get a station with that, you probably won't get good quality with another type.  It's 'line of sight', you know, and low power FM.

Offline KBlack

• My PWS
« Reply #1005 on: February 28, 2019, 12:55:43 PM »
Right on.  Twin falls would be a good one to add, as well as the wxk88 transmitter

Twin Falls will be next, WXK35.   I have a receiver feeding our KBSW EAS Endec in Twin Falls, and just need to feed the audio into the AoIP network and set up the stream.  We have plans to improve our connectivity at our KBSW Twin Falls transmitter site, which would move the NWR receiver (and EAS Endec) to Jerome Butte, where the WXK35 Twin Falls transmitter is also located.

I expect that WNG605 Burley will be after that.   We have adequate internet bandwidth at the KBSY Burley transmitter site (which is literally across the room from WNG605) once I get on site with some spare time I can feed audio into a computer there and set up the stream.

WNG700 Jackpot NV is co-located with (an equipment rack away from) our KBSJ Jackpot transmitter on top of the 8632' AMSL Ellen Dee Mtn in Northern NV.   We expect that we should get adequate bandwidth set up sometime after the spring melt allows us to drive in.  The IP project has been in process for over a year already.

Unfortunately, we don't have any facilities in Ontario/Payette, so WXK88 is not simple to add.  Perhaps someone else in the area will be inspired to do so.

Kelsey Black
Senior Broadcast Engineer
Boise State Public Radio

(weather nerd)

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
« Reply #1006 on: March 02, 2019, 03:01:11 PM »
Hey one note on the wz2520 transmitter it sounds as though the audio is very low in high frequency almost like there's a huge highpass filter on the stream.  Just thought I'd note.  I think that's pretty cool that we have the UHF Stream for wxk68 and the vhf, sounds neat actually.  See that works out also, if the vhf goes out, the UHF always works.

Offline KBlack

• My PWS
« Reply #1007 on: March 06, 2019, 06:11:55 PM »
The WZ2520 receiver is a Crown RFBA-1 Triple tuner.   If there's a filter, it's in the Crown, or upstream at the transmitter.    The WZ2520 transmitter is maintained by the same crew out of Pocatello that manages the Salmon KPS509 transmitter.    I've noticed that each crew has their own method of setting levels and overall sound, even if the transmitter hardware is otherwise identical...  much like in FM/AM Broadcast.

All of the NWR transmitters I monitor are fed by a "dry pair" through the telco, with the sole exception of WXK68 Boise, which explains the UHF STL.

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
« Reply #1008 on: March 07, 2019, 12:35:37 AM »
Tell you what though the connections are very very stable at the streaming sights and yeah.  Better than Mine has been lately but then again DSL for ya on this side in a household where an entire family is using the connection, shared.  Yeah that makes a difference.  Kinda need an actual receiver that can access my antenna setup.  So I can set another receiver to stream kzz52 so I can free up my mobile ham radio and use it for ham stuff.

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
« Reply #1009 on: March 08, 2019, 04:06:28 AM »
kzz52 will be not streaming till the computer streaming it is officially repaired.
It won't power up properly so working to fix it.

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
« Reply #1010 on: March 08, 2019, 04:23:06 AM »
Unfortunately the mac mini may have lost a logic board, I don't know.  if worse comes to worse I'll need about 10 bucks or greater to purchase one of those specially designed usb adapters that acts as a wifi card for desktops which do not have a wireless card, so I can use my internet that way so that I can put the appropriate software on the hp and use it as the streaming source.
Sorry for the disruption.If anyone in here is IT savy maybe you can make me a bit more aware.  When turning on a 2009 mac Mini and not hearing the chime, does that mean the logic board is fried.  Mind you I am a blind computer operator so this adds another monkey rench into it.Regretfully I am unable to fix the mac mini.  It's possible the logic board failed.  This means until I can get a wireless adapter for the hp desktop I may no longer be able to provide kzz52.  I do apologize but my servers will always be up for anyone needing to stream.  I will
I'm trying to feverishly look to fix the problem.  If I'm unable to fix it I may not be able to stream the thing as I don't have any other stream capable computer which has the cpu power to be up 24 7 like that as the remaining computer is a laptop, the desktop that I have is not suitable to do it yet. 

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
« Reply #1011 on: March 08, 2019, 05:30:57 AM »
I have the stream back up.  Until the desktop computer that is available to me gets internet it will be streaming from an asus netbook.  I do apologize in advance if any problems arise as far as connectivity.  I do have a few backups in mind if needed.  This one should work for now.

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
« Reply #1012 on: March 08, 2019, 12:13:50 PM »
I know I've been posting a lot, but try to keep you guys updated as much as possible as to what's going on.  Sadly the Asus laptop has just shown indications of a failing wifi card.  What I'm going to do is wait to bring the stream back up till I get the wifi card for the laptop.  Please if someone would please put a stream currently inactive on the thing so that I can have time to fix this.
Thanks

And again I'm sorry for the delays

Offline PaulKTF

« Reply #1013 on: March 09, 2019, 09:43:26 AM »
Thanks to everyone who's making their local NOAA Weather Radio stations available as streams. It's a lot of fun to listen to them.:)
-Paul.

Offline lddaly

• Forecaster
« Reply #1014 on: March 09, 2019, 10:49:31 AM »
My children and I have been providing the stream for KEC56 Dallas/Fort Worth for the last year. Is there a way to view statistics for the number of visitors who listen directly through https://noaaweatherradio.org/? Our stream URL is through wxradio.dyndns.org. We see minimal usage directly through our site page per Google Analytics.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 10:55:55 AM by lddaly »

Offline NWROrg Team

• Save A Life
  • Contributor
« Reply #1015 on: March 09, 2019, 12:41:44 PM »
My children and I have been providing the stream for KEC56 Dallas/Fort Worth for the last year. Is there a way to view statistics for the number of visitors who listen directly through https://noaaweatherradio.org/? Our stream URL is through wxradio.dyndns.org. We see minimal usage directly through our site page per Google Analytics.
  A great question!  The short answer is "NO"... for many reasons... Perhaps this is a good chance to explain a bit... let's look at one of the 'reasons'..

The NWROrg network is a bit more complex than it would appear... it's now 2 years old, and has astounded those of us on the team.. thanks to folks like you and your family.. there is no value to be placed on that experience, and no value to be assigned to a life your stream may have saved, or property your effort may have 'preserved'... during any weather event... how many 'Sunday Picnic" or camping trips, or vacations you've helped plan... on and on and on. Your children may be 'anonymous' heroes already!

A Five Star Family  =D>

NWROrg could be considered the 'Master Lister' of the network lashup and in fact your "WxRadio" php  is part of that, synchronizing with the 'master' list of available streams several times daily... ... and we don't track your site, or any of the numerous 'others' who 'sync' with NWROrg.. in addition, your feed can also be followed by other websites,...
So, just for thought: ... your GA graph shows over 1000 ... and we don't know that... add that to Joe's in Podunk, and he gets 50 ... that neither you nor we know about...then another 50 access the stream through the 'main site', or perhaps the 'Hazards' page, if we have you there..  etc. ,,,, the only 'listener' count at any given time for your stream would be on the 'server' providing the stream... in your case, the WxRadio.DNS' server...  additionally, there may be other 'sites' taking your stream and 're-streaming' , so we'd have no idea about that!...So, just as in the originating servece -NOAA ALL Hazards Weather Radio -- none of us can know how many are 'dialed in' at any time... you never know, we never know, but "they" know...

And by running Ken's WxRadio page templates, you may indirectly influence lives in areas you never dreamed of, maybe in Canada, simply by having the EC Canada streams linked also! and a 'threatened' person stumbled across your listings...

And as one of the 'Stockholders' in NWROrg, you've helped establish credibility for everybody who provides, your own website as a provider, but most importantly, you'll likely never know when you've helped
"Save A Life".
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 12:55:20 PM by NWROrg Team »

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
« Reply #1016 on: March 10, 2019, 01:33:38 AM »
Speaking of saving a life, KZZ52 feed stream is up.  With ice on the transmitter still, I'm streaming wxl62 Sioux city for now, may alternate between it and wng668 depending on conditions.  If band conditions are too harsh I'll use KIH61, 162.400 in Omaha as the last resort feed.
Keep things working.
If the feed goes down again I'll look into it.  Hopefully it shouldn't.

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
« Reply #1017 on: March 12, 2019, 12:44:30 AM »
For those who haven't been on noaaweatherradio.org in a while, welcome WXL35
I know it is a bit late but, welcome abord.
Thanks to KBlack for amazing work.

Offline hunter362

• Fairmount Hill's Weather
« Reply #1018 on: March 12, 2019, 07:53:07 PM »
Current listeners can be seen here, just look for your feed,
http://wxradio.dyndns.org:8000/

Offline lddaly

• Forecaster
« Reply #1019 on: March 13, 2019, 10:43:41 AM »
Current listeners can be seen here, just look for your feed,
http://wxradio.dyndns.org:8000/

Thank you for that. At least now we know there are listeners other than those that originate on our site.

Offline NWROrg Team

• Save A Life
  • Contributor
« Reply #1020 on: March 13, 2019, 12:32:36 PM »

We developed this 'tentative' diagram, or NWROrg comm lashup... you can see why it would be almost impossible to track listeners...
By merely adding your stream to NWROrg you've provided an additional 3-5 possible connections for a "concerned person" to NWS/EC radio.

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
« Reply #1021 on: March 16, 2019, 03:50:12 PM »
Attention to all eastern Nebraska and southwest Iowa streamers.  All NOAA Weather Radio transmitters in the WFO Omaha county warning area are off the air.  If you are able to receive neighboring transmitters temporarily, it may be a good idea to switch broadcast reception to those afformentioned transmitters.  Sadly for Omaha, there are none within the immediate area.
For Lincoln, no other transmitters serve Lancaster county.  For Friend, Nebraska streams, though the Nebraska counties are not covered, kzz67 in blue rapds Kansas may be recievable at 162.425, or wxk91 in Topeka covering the Kansas counties, 162.475.
Hankock Iowa is currently being helped with wng668 at Dennison Iowa on my stream directly.
Just a solution.  I'll post here when I hear the transmitters back online.
Thanks

Offline chappelledpc

• Senior Contributor
    • Stonybrook South
« Reply #1022 on: March 16, 2019, 04:30:28 PM »
Attention to all eastern Nebraska and southwest Iowa streamers.  All NOAA Weather Radio transmitters in the WFO Omaha county warning area are off the air.  If you are able to receive neighboring transmitters temporarily, it may be a good idea to switch broadcast reception to those afformentioned transmitters.  Sadly for Omaha, there are none within the immediate area.
For Lincoln, no other transmitters serve Lancaster county.  For Friend, Nebraska streams, though the Nebraska counties are not covered, kzz67 in blue rapds Kansas may be recievable at 162.425, or wxk91 in Topeka covering the Kansas counties, 162.475.
Hankock Iowa is currently being helped with wng668 at Dennison Iowa on my stream directly.
Just a solution.  I'll post here when I hear the transmitters back online.
Thanks

NOUS43 KOAX 152237
PNSOAX
IAZ043-055-056-069-079-080-090-091-NEZ011-012-015>018-030>034-
042>045-050>053-065>068-078-088>093-161045-

Public Information Statement
National Weather Service Omaha/Valley NE
Issued by National Weather Service Hastings NE
537 PM CDT Fri Mar 15 2019

...PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT...

Since there is no power at the NWS Omaha/Valley Office, there are
no messages going to NOAA Weather Radio. So the NOAA Weather
Radio transmitters are off the air at Omaha, Lincoln,
Carroll (Norfolk), Beatrice, Shubert, Albion, Columbus, Hancock,
and Essex. Please use commercial television, radio or other
alerting devices to receive weather alerts.

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
« Reply #1023 on: March 18, 2019, 04:49:10 PM »
Indeed, and also My asus laptop which was backing up has failed a wifi card, so I'm working on a temporary fix until I get the master machine which will be responsible for this up and going.  Sorry for the downtime on the hankock stream.

Offline brandon86

• Contributor
« Reply #1024 on: March 29, 2019, 11:49:30 PM »
Hey all.
Two notes, the kzz52 transmitter is still transmitting at a very very very very low power, hence it's not being received.
I very abnormal situation has occurred.  The servers for bhsprn still exist, but unfortunately due to a serious problem the hostname is reflecting to another ip which the servers do not run on.
I'm in contact with the person who helps me with the IP and we will try to have a fix as soon as possible.
If there is not a fix, I may temporarily refer you guys to the main server's IP address for where my server's run, or I may have to get an emergency backup hostname that is used temporarily until the bhsprn.tk domain can be properly restored to my server's domain and IP.  it's running on a service called freenom, which isn't very friendly to use, so I have someone who knows how, to use it, helping me with it, and we will get it back up as soon as possible.
Thank you.
Brandon