Author Topic: Like/Thanks Button  (Read 11453 times)

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: Like/Thanks Button
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2019, 02:37:29 PM »
I'm also a bit concerned about people seemingly upset that their posts don't get as much response as they'd hoped.  That fact that they crave positive reinforcement in the way of a pat on the back is exactly the kind of thing that pits me against popularity contests.

But ya' know, there is the gold star idea.  And the participant trophy thing where everybody wins just by showing up.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2019, 03:57:22 PM »
Ok, I'm willing to give it a try for a while and see how it goes.  I've installed a mod that allows 'Likes' to postings, and also a thumbs-up smiley in the posting menu and popup menu

[tup]  and :thumbsup:

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2019, 04:08:39 PM »
Dislike

: Offended :
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 04:11:41 PM by WeatherHost »

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2019, 04:13:30 PM »
Found out you CAN change the 'Last Edit: ' time though.

Done in the Admin Control Panel

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2019, 04:14:00 PM »
Noted.  It's easy to turn off in one setting globally.  We'll see how it goes for a while.
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2019, 04:17:22 PM »
The 'thumbs up' [tup] you can keep even if the Like feature is removed in the future.  Merry post-Christmas.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2019, 04:24:09 PM »
 [tup]
Randy

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2019, 04:27:57 PM »
Hmmm...I noticed that now users have Total Likes associated to their account. Is there not a way to turn that off but keep the Likes in the posts?
I don't have a problem with it either way. But I'm just trying to acquiesce to the concerns of others.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2019, 04:35:57 PM »
Ok, I'm willing to give it a try for a while and see how it goes. 

Best regards,
Ken

Thanks!!!!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 09:06:50 PM by Jim_S »

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2019, 04:53:08 PM »
A couple of notes about the Like mod:

1) Like is not enabled on 'Chatter', 'Testing' or 'Posting Games' forums, just like posting counts are also not enabled there.
2) I've not enabled the 'notification' features so folks shouldn't wait for emails to let them know that their posts have been 'liked' .. seemed like a waste of email, and we'd already had a battle with the hoster over alleged-spam emails, so no need to create additional notifications.

I'm still a bit uneasy about the usefulness of this feature in the long term -- I suppose only this trial run will let both supporters/objectors to the feature see how it all works out.  If it emerges that it is largely a detriment to useful knowledge exchange here, then I'll be happy to 'pull the plug' on it, and you can revert to just doing a posting with [tup] to evidence your approval.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2019, 04:54:46 PM »
You won't know much without a Dislike button though.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2019, 04:57:11 PM »
You won't know much without a Dislike button though.
True, no statistical count of 'Dislike' -- that wasn't an available SMF mod.  We'll just have to see how it plays out for a while.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2019, 05:03:41 PM »
Please, how about the size of the emoji is limited to non-Helen Keller criteria. :roll:

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2019, 05:19:35 PM »
Is it supposed to be appearing on thread titles?

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2019, 05:24:38 PM »
Is it supposed to be appearing on thread titles?

The admin panel does have an option to enable/disable that.  I've turned it off on the forum titles area.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 05:30:09 PM by saratogaWX »

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2019, 05:29:31 PM »
Hmmm...I noticed that now users have Total Likes associated to their account. Is there not a way to turn that off but keep the Likes in the posts?
I don't have a problem with it either way. But I'm just trying to acquiesce to the concerns of others.

There is an option to turn off the like count under the user avatar.  I'm leaving it on for now.

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2019, 05:50:18 PM »
Looks like the "Like stats", "Most like giving user" could do with some optimisation or 'like' index adding?

Is there a prize for the most likes in post?  :roll:
Mark

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2019, 09:08:57 PM »
Please, how about the size of the emoji is limited to non-Helen Keller criteria. :roll:
You're right. I replaced it with something more reasonable.  [tup]

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2019, 10:26:12 PM »
Thank you Ken for the trial:)

However, whilst i dont really see any issues perse, its not quite the "thank you" for the post/thread/comment, would be hard to know what the thanks was for tbh but least no one can maliciously down vote/dislike, thats got to be a bonus...

You can only add the Mods that are available.

I have redacted the image below for obvious reasons but you can see what i was aiming for
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 10:55:56 PM by Bashy »
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2019, 10:33:19 PM »
I'm also a bit concerned about people seemingly upset that their posts don't get as much response as they'd hoped.  That fact that they crave positive reinforcement in the way of a pat on the back is exactly the kind of thing that pits me against popularity contests.

But ya' know, there is the gold star idea.  And the participant trophy thing where everybody wins just by showing up.

DJI have the latter, a point system where you ex x amount for certain things on the forum, for example 5 points just for logging in each day, earn 2800 points and thats $10 in ya credits to spend on their page, only problem there is, you get a certain few that just post rubbish for the sake of it, obviously this would only work on a business forum for sure, it gets me free propellers, such a shame the shipping costs more  :lol:
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2019, 10:49:01 AM »
Thank you Ken for the trial:)

However, whilst i dont really see any issues perse, its not quite the "thank you" for the post/thread/comment, would be hard to know what the thanks was for tbh but least no one can maliciously down vote/dislike, thats got to be a bonus...

You can only add the Mods that are available.

I have redacted the image below for obvious reasons but you can see what i was aiming for
That mod sounds like the 'Karma' mod with 'Applaud' and 'Smite' as the two choices.  We'd looked at that many years ago and decided that was too much for our young forum -- we'd seen other forums where those choices led to untoward and distracting behavior.  After all, the purpose of this forum is to provide peer support for things around our mutual weather hobby, not about 1ups or 'me toos'.

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2019, 11:33:27 AM »
Yeah, I agree with you, the main issue I see is with the down voting, that's the root of all evil in this regard....
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2019, 02:50:25 PM »
So a posted in one of the forums that recently added "Like" buttons to see if any of the moderators had an opinion (good or bad) on them.

As one of the more active public forum moderators, I really like the feature.

From the reader's perspective, it lets them know that a reply from a person with 750 overall "reputation points" carries the weight of a frequent poster who is relatively well-informed.

From the poster's perspective, receiving reputation points hopefully encourages them to post more often, and more helpfully/insightfully.

From the moderator's perspective, the upvotes let me know what the community thinks of the discussion.  It's especially gratifying when one of my moderator posts ("cut it out, guys") receives a number of positive upvotes.  That lets me know that I did the right thing.

I think the lack of negative feedback options helps encourage the positive benefits of reputation points, while avoiding the negatives of turning posts into popularity contests.

A post with zero upvotes can mean "nobody agrees with you" without being vindictive about it (by taking away reputation points).

I originally bumped the thread because I thought (based on my experience in other forums I frequent) that this was a good feature that would make this forum better. Thanks again for giving it a try, I hope it works out and is a positive addition.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2019, 02:56:02 PM »
^^^  That's as good a reason as any NOT to have if.  Moderating a board should be about the rules of the board, not the popularity of a post or the poster.  If a Moderator is basing decisions on popularity, they should be removed from that position.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2019, 04:08:43 PM »
^^^  That's as good a reason as any NOT to have if.  Moderating a board should be about the rules of the board, not the popularity of a post or the poster.  If a Moderator is basing decisions on popularity, they should be removed from that position.
Concur. I don't need "rep points" or whatever to inform me of what I'm reading is worth my consideration or not. Simple communication and research should suffice in a grown ups world. As others have stated, I think emoji's can convey enough information of whether you agree or disagree with the post without becoming a popularity contest, which I think will certainly degrade the forum as a whole. Concluding now, I would insert the "two cents" emoji here if we had one.

anything