Author Topic: Has Davis Industries Solved the Problems?  (Read 11383 times)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Has Davis Industries Solved the Problems?
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2015, 09:45:33 AM »
I have my own recent personal experience with my first weather station. I wanted quality, in the $450 range, so I bought my VP2 a few months ago from an authorized reseller, got a good price, and it was shipped directly from the factory. I found that in adding the daytime aspiration fan, the instructions didn't match what I actually had, and the tech support guy I talked to was clueless. Finally get it mounted and installed, attach the usb datalogger to my weather server, and found out their datalogger, in their desire to keep it prohibitively proprietary, is extremely touchy and plugging it in and expecting the thing to communicate to your server via usb is hit and miss. Next I noticed the temp sensor seemed inconsistent with my other instruments, so I put the console, a kestrel, and a taylor, all together, expecting them to all be within ~1°F, and the TH sensor in the ISS was off more than I would expect for a $500 station. So I call tech support again, explain what I did, and after a long pause I said "Maybe the heat from the console?" and he replied "Why, yes, that's it", which was actually inconsistent with the sensors' readings.
All that being said, I am reasonably sure that if you don't do anything unusual, i.e. stick to their software, use their upload service, you're likely to be one of those "happy" owners of their station. But I do know from speaking directly to their tech support that you've a 50-50 chance of talking to someone who will give you correct information. Good luck.

I'll admit my last experience with Davis tech support was anything but stellar. Its always a bad feeling when you realize you know more about the the product than support does. I'll say it, she must of been new. But at least she wasn't from India so communication went better.
I'll agree with the buggy connection issue with the data loggers. They really have became touchy POS if you ask me. At least the 2 usb loggers I have are really hit and miss and you have to keep trying over and over for a connection. You hate disconnecting the logger anymore because you know what a hassle it is to reconnect. I was thinking maybe it was my weather computer but changed computers and now realize its the loggers themselves with the connection issues.
Randy

Offline messypotamia

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2015, 10:05:09 AM »
Absolutely agree.  My VP2 is 3 months old. I probably talked to this same person just the other day. I told her the datalogger wasn't enumerating itself with my server any longer (Linux box running weewx), she didn't understand that, and made me install their pc software on a windows laptop, the usb device still wouldn't identify itself to windows, she had me unnecessarily download the specific driver and install it (it was already installed but their adapter had stopped talking so she thought it wasn't), etc etc and when win7.1 pro 64-bit still couldn't talk to the datalogger, she acted like I needed to send it back to them so they could look at it and decide whether to charge me. What BS. I asked to speak to someone in management.
I'm probably going to get a Peet's 2100 and atch the VP2 to my lightning rod if I can't send it back for a refund. I know I know alot of you are really happy with your stuff from this company. I think you've been lucky.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2015, 11:56:52 AM »
I have been happy for the most part with Davis VP and VP2. The USB data logger connection issue has started recently most likely because of their proprietary logger. That has been the biggest disappointment for me recently and being a real pita connecting. I've even thought of going back to a serial data logger again. The old serial with the VP1 was flawless for years until failure. I'm hoping for a firmware upgrade to make compatibility better on the USB data logger.
Peet Brothers does have some interesting products priced right. I really never looked at peet bros until now. Not for me, but an viable option for others I'm sure. 
Randy

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
  • waiting for the rain.....
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2015, 01:54:20 PM »
I'm not sure why you would expect a firmware upgrade would improve the USB connection. The chip is in the logger itself, interfacing to the serial lines in the console.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2015, 02:04:37 PM »
I'm not sure why you would expect a firmware upgrade would improve the USB connection. The chip is in the logger itself, interfacing to the serial lines in the console.

Maybe they could improve the drivers needed for connection.
Randy

Offline messypotamia

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2015, 02:39:21 PM »
It's not the drivers nor the firmware. They've implemented what is colloquially called "serial line lockdown". annoyingdesigns.com has a fix for this at:
http://meteo.annoyingdesigns.com/DavisSPI.pdf
If you just read the first short paragraph, your enlightenment will begin and everything you've been experiencing will start to make sense.

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
  • waiting for the rain.....
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2015, 02:50:41 PM »
Messypotamia, some users do experience USB connection problems, this is nothing to do with the "serial line lockdown" but more likely the Silicon Labs USB chipset that Davis choose to use in their data logger.

I use the FTDI chipset in my third party logger and have yet to see any connection issues.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 02:52:20 PM by belfryboy »

Offline messypotamia

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2015, 03:14:11 PM »
Belfryboy, I agree. And if I'd known about this 3rd party alternative logger I'd have gotten that when I got my VP2 instead of their datalogger package.   Thanks.  Still, I also agree w/  Torkel's white paper about why they intentionally made things difficult for the normal weather enthusiast.
So not to keep this thread going ad nauseum, I would recommend to someone considering Davis and wanting a more open method of getting data off it, to utilize the link you gave. Thanks. Out here =-=

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2015, 03:22:55 PM »
Messypotamia, some users do experience USB connection problems, this is nothing to do with the "serial line lockdown" but more likely the Silicon Labs USB chipset that Davis choose to use in their data logger.

I use the FTDI chipset in my third party logger and have yet to see any connection issues.

Thanks for that info. I'm seeing more and more people even with green dot data loggers having connection issues. I was blaming the computer but later realized it was the loggers after switching to a more powerful computer and the issue was still there.  I do have a laptop with no connection issues but both desktops are terrible.   
Randy

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2015, 03:58:21 PM »
I use the FTDI chipset in my clone logger and have yet to see any connection issues.

By all accounts they did try alternative chipsets (including FTDI) to try and resolve the sensitivity of the USB connection to external RFI, but none cured the problem to a substantial extent and so no change made it into manufacturing.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2015, 11:31:04 AM »
I've had my VP2 for almost 8 years.  Other than taking a direct lightning strike in 2010 it's been flawless.  I have never even changed the battery in it!!  (It was changed once during the refurb after the lightning strike by Davis).  I've never had a single problem.  I love my station.  Just love it.  I even upgraded it to fan aspiration myself three years ago and that fan is still going strong!
B.S. in Meteorology/Climatology

38.01977N, 84.83486W
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station
AcuRite 5-n-1 w/ WiFi reporting to WU

Offline Stormtracker

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2015, 11:51:05 AM »
I don't know if this addresses your question or not, but I believe that when there was a problem with the Davis equipment, they jumped on it and corrected it.  The other competitors for this price range are, in my mind, not as well engineered.  Nor do they perform as well.  I have even built my own instruments, dating back to the Heathkit line, and can tell you that the need for constant recalibration, dead sensors, etc... is rare for Davis.  There are inherent strengths and weaknesses in ANY price range.  You need to really compare and do your research before you buy.  For instance, what is your prominent weather condition?  Which station is best designed to monitor that condition?  What I am suggesting is that a problem with a station is no more irritating than the WRONG station for your needs.  As I have stated in this forum before, I have a VUE and living in NW Louisiana, wind is not a major player-- temperature, rainfall and such is.  If I lived in a windy location, I would opt for the Pro2 for the ability to isolate the wind sensors.  Back to your original question, I have heard of issues with both Davis and Rainwise, two very fine manufacturers.  Likewise, I have heard that they take that seriously.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 12:16:43 PM by stormtracker »

Offline N0NB

• Amateur weather observer
  • Contributor
    • N0NB.us
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2015, 08:51:52 AM »
Regarding the USB logger, it seemed to me that the unit couldn't remain seated in the pin socket as there was room to the back cover and the cord needs to make too much of a bend to go out the slot in the console.  After a bit of fiddling I found a piece of antistatic foam for DIP chips and cut it into two pieces and placed that between the logger and the cover.  After that scooting the console around didn't bother the USB connection.  If I have to buy another logger I will consider an Ethernet adapter, which I should have done but erred by not doing my homework.  So far the Linux kernel and WeeWX have not had any problem communicating with the logger.

Even though it has been service for only ten days, I am pleased with my VP2's performance.  I am considering relocating the anemometer and can easily do so as I have the wireless console.  When I do so it will be far from the ISS but well within range of the console, a feature that makes the VP2 a winner for me over the cabled Peet unit it replaced.

Offline joelfisch

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2015, 07:35:23 AM »
I have to weigh in on the unsatisfied side of this topic. I have a VantagePro 2 - and its nothing but problems.  USB logger issues, resulting in the station's frequently losing connection with the PC.  Also, i cannot get wind direction, despite replacing the anemometer.  Apparently there is something on the board that needs replacing.  This seems like a combination of poor QA and design issues.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2015, 08:42:11 AM »
I have to weigh in on the unsatisfied side of this topic. I have a VantagePro 2 - and its nothing but problems.  USB logger issues, resulting in the station's frequently losing connection with the PC.  Also, i cannot get wind direction, despite replacing the anemometer.  Apparently there is something on the board that needs replacing.  This seems like a combination of poor QA and design issues.

So you joined just to bitch, first post ever. Feel better now?
Randy

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2015, 09:02:41 AM »
USB logger issues, resulting in the station's frequently losing connection with the PC.

This might be the result of Windoze, rather than the logger per se. Unless I keep the PC awake all the time, losing connection with USB on various devices happens all the time. I never have trouble with Linux-based units like Meteohub/bridge or my Linux box itself and the Davis USB loggers. My Envoy 8x connects to the RaspPi based Meteohub via the Davis USB. I never touch it even after months and months of operation.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2015, 09:08:44 AM »
USB logger issues, resulting in the station's frequently losing connection with the PC.

Windoze,

Windoze needs some nodoze, not hard to figure out for most. But excellent point Greg.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2015, 09:13:28 AM »
My logger initial connection issue has disappeared using the new Vue Console so something is different between the Vue and VP2 consoles. The Vue connects every time first time.
Randy

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2015, 09:19:53 AM »

ROFL!   :lol:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2015, 09:29:36 AM »

ROFL!   :lol:
Ditto.... Jeepers, most issues wind up being µsoft config related, anyway, it seems,  My Vue is into it's fifth year, I think, other than accumulated detritus on the temp/humidity sensor, it's 'top of the line'... did have some 'drop out' issues early on, but killing a couple of stupid 'windows' services resolved it...
Ya know, I notice a tendency on the forum, especially the last year or so, for a 'quick fix' for issues, instead of folks researching previous threads.. many of the same questions are asked repeatedly.. such as 'what weather station should I get"..
and the overwhelming response favors "Davis"... duh....   ](*,)

Offline N0NB

• Amateur weather observer
  • Contributor
    • N0NB.us
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2015, 12:02:41 PM »

Having just set mine up a couple of weeks ago, I presume that you tested the anemometer indoors following the manual as part of the initial setup.  I also presume that you plugged the anemometer cable into the correct jack--the second from the far right when looking into the ISS junction block.  I offer the above based on a presumption that you're connecting the anemometer to the ISS and it is not connected to a separate wireless unit.

That you have tried a second anemometer tells me that you're getting warranty service.  If all the above is correct, then the main board in the ISS may be suspect if all other readings appear on the console.

As I noted, the logger's physical connection is rather delicate the way it lays in the cabinet.  I think that a piece of foam to keep pressure on the pins is needed to keep it from being unseated when the console is moved around.  So far by using the Raspberry Pi running a Linux kernel, there have been zero communication issues over the past two weeks.  I wouldn't know about Windows as I won't use it to simply log WX data.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2015, 02:44:27 PM »

Dunno 'bout him, but I do. :lol:

anything