Author Topic: Old Smart Hub  (Read 3770 times)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Old Smart Hub
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2018, 05:23:06 PM »
Will the old hub just merrily send packets even if it is not connected to the myAcurite servers?

No.  If it does not receive certain responses back from the servers, it will start resetting in an attempt to re-acquire communications.

It's not hard to simulate the responses from the Acurite servers, though.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2018, 01:40:29 PM »
What should be done with the smarthub? Throw it away?

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2018, 02:40:16 PM »

I believe that you mis-spelled "responsibly recycle as e-waste" above.....  :roll:
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2018, 03:19:06 PM »

I believe that you mis-spelled "responsibly recycle as e-waste" above.....  :roll:

:)

Offline Robert_B_2

• Wunderground
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2019, 12:53:31 PM »
Have been operating successfully on old HUB for awhile. I know it's going to become unsupported soon. I just hooked up my new Access device. Everything seems to work correctly. Disabled sharing to Wunderground from old HUB and enabled sharing on the Access device. Is it OK to continue to operate the old HUB at the same time? Same sensors connected to each. I want to observe both for awhile to verify that my setup is correct.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2019, 01:45:00 PM »
There is no need to run both, but it won't hurt anything, you will just use more bandwidth from your data provider that you may want to reserve, depending on how many phones, tv's, PC's etc are being used at one time.

Offline Robert_B_2

• Wunderground
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2019, 03:11:09 PM »
Thanks Doc. I will probably retire the old HUB in a few days. I'm sorta sad to see it go as it's performed reliably for a long while.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2019, 04:37:11 PM »
I found the Access to be better for me as far as signal power. The smarthub was much more difficult to aim in my location. The Access is much more plug and play, I just wish it would send to more weather sites besides Wunderground.

Offline Robert_B_2

• Wunderground
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2019, 08:17:41 AM »
I am having a reporting issue with one of the temp/humidity sensors. Smart HUB shows strong signal and continuous data while Access shows poor signal and lost data.  Smart HUB and Access are positioned near each other. I'm not sure why Access is not getting same signal from the sensor.

Offline MrChuckFL

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2019, 01:05:33 PM »
Acurite is ending service and support for SmartHUB effective February 28, 2019 and basically rendering these devices useless bricks.

I am calling on Acurite to do the right thing and release the firmware to the public domain so we aren't left with a useless brick that we paid good money for.

https://t.co/9mXS9pIBng

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2019, 01:11:13 PM »
Acurite is ending service and support for SmartHUB effective February 28, 2019 and basically rendering these devices useless bricks.

I am calling on Acurite to do the right thing and release the firmware to the public domain so we aren't left with a useless brick that we paid good money for.

https://t.co/9mXS9pIBng

That would be pointless, as the vast majority of users don't have the necessary equipment or skills to modify the firmware. 

It's not like it's a common Linux-based device.

Offline MrChuckFL

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2019, 01:23:45 PM »

That would be pointless, as the vast majority of users don't have the necessary equipment or skills to modify the firmware. 

Not exactly. There are plenty of people (like myself) that posses the skillset and technical expertise to update the firmware and make it into something usable rather than a doorstop.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2019, 01:25:55 PM »

Not exactly. There are plenty of people (like myself) that posses the skillset and technical expertise to update the firmware and make it into something usable rather than a doorstop.

I'll call you on that.  Please demonstrate by converting the hardware to do some simple network task.

Offline MrChuckFL

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2019, 02:15:28 PM »
It is not that simple. The firmware source code needs to be released by Acurite so that changes can be made.

There is a kludgy hack out there that will keep the SmartHUB functioning and allow it to continue to post data to Weather Underground but it is well beyond the technical know how of most users.

https://github.com/therippa/pyAcurite

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2019, 03:26:31 PM »
It is not that simple. The firmware source code needs to be released by Acurite so that changes can be made.

There is a kludgy hack out there that will keep the SmartHUB functioning and allow it to continue to post data to Weather Underground but it is well beyond the technical know how of most users.

https://github.com/therippa/pyAcurite

No.  I'm asking you do to something very basic with the hardware.  Acurite's firmware is not needed.

I'd suggest you look into Acuparse.  It's far more developed than the "kludgy hack...well beyond the technical know how of most users" you suggest.   Acuparse is already in use by quite a few people.

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2019, 06:44:27 PM »

I'm pretty sure that the hardware in that thing is not much more powerful than the lunar lander had in 1969, and Acu-Rite threw in the towel on the device because they were already maxing out the hardware and had no room for expansion.

Development time would be better spent by removing the radio module from the old hub and wiring it up to a new Pi or Arduino, both of which have current development libraries and enough headroom to do something semi-useful.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline adam-aph

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2019, 06:52:27 AM »
I was trying to connect SmartHUB via RasPi bridge: wifi--[RasPi]--lan--[SmartHub] as described in the net, so RasPi can catch all calls to non-existing Acurite servers and forward it to Weather Underground. It could work, except after hard reset SmartHub started looping into some boot mode to check new firmware and I gave up.

So if anyone is interested here is the software to build cheap replacement for old SmartHub with RasPi and RTL SDR dongle:

https://github.com/adam-aph/RasPi-Weatherd

The advantage is that it can handle all your existing sensors - in my case this is 5-n-1, Lightning and Tower. I plan to add to it BMP180 sensor, so WU will get pressure data soon.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2019, 08:46:07 PM »
If you pressed the button on the bottom of the hub, I believe it will cause the hub to basically become bricked... I'm not sure if it's possible to undo it either.