Author Topic: New VP2  (Read 544 times)

Offline Storm

New VP2
« on: July 21, 2018, 07:22:00 AM »
My VP2 seems to be giving up the ghost after many years of faithful service - the display on the console is nearly dead and the anemometer works when it wants to. I access data via the Weatherlink IP logger.

So it's time for a new station. I like the Davis ISS, but my ten year old console now looks very dated. Physical buttons are soooo last decade, and the daglo orange backlight is horrible. I'm hoping people will tell me that Davis have now caught up with 2018 technology and offer a console with few or no physical buttons and a bigger touchscreen instead. Wishful thinking?

At least the VP2 seems to have come down in price. I'm sure last time I checked a few years ago it was over £700.00  :grin:

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: New VP2
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 07:53:42 AM »
Nope Davis still sells the VP2 pretty much exactly the way you bought it. They improved some sensors, they redesign the rain gauge first adding spikes and then the shape. And there isn't a newer model in sight. They also brought out a new version of WeatherLink that some people like and dislike at the same time.

I would replace the console and replace the anemometer. No need to replace the whole thing. If you don't have solar and UV you can add that too. A good thing about the VP2 is that you can get parts and replace what is not working. Warning though if you replace your console your old logger may not work if it isn't of the newer green dot type.

But I totally agree with you that the VP2 is dated. But still remains the favorite. Hopefully one day soon we will see a VP3. Unbelievably so Davis' official Facebook page this year for April fools joked that the long awaited VP3 was now available, but the post was just a poor joke showing a weather rock. An old rehashed joke and coming from Davis I think was in poor taste. It was almost like they admitted knowing they have old dated equipment and they have done nothing about it. This is what you get when a company dominates and there isn't any competition. The VP2 was and still is a great product but it is a shame the company won't invest in improving their offering in over a decade (14 years).
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 08:44:47 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 09:07:54 AM »
I've had the display on an old VP console that would fade.  I just took the console apart and the ribbon cable that goes to the display was loose, so I just reseated it and it's worked every since.  Worth trying before dumping it.

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 09:09:42 AM »
Only you can decide whether it's time to put your current system out to pasture.

Salvage...It sounds like you need a new console, and an anemometer (or bearing assembly).  Has the solar panel hazed over enough to be lagging in keeping the super-cap charged...need a new one?  And, the super-cap...any leakage showing around the leads?  You might as well replace the temperature/humidity sensor with the updated (but questionable) SHT-31.  The Davis tipper rain gauge is deficient, so maybe splurge and update it with a new Rainwise 111 gauge...???  And, if you stay with the Davis tipper, the new bucket is fantastic in keeping debris out and stopping birds from using it as their private loo.  Any of the structural plastic getting brittle?

Replacement...Plop your money down and get the smell of fresh plastic gently floating around your house.  \:D/  Most every part will be updated to the current parts and you would not have to do the individual parts replacement and encounter possibly problems along the way (you never know).

You might could save a couple of hundred USD by refurbing, I dunno.  Again, you'll have to make that decision.  I just thought I'd throw all that at you.  :grin:

But, as for the console...yep, I believe it's still as beautiful as it's been for years...  ;)

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Bobvelle

• Contributor
    • Fairfield Weather Station
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 11:51:29 PM »
Be advised. If you were using an old (non green dot) wetherlikIP logger and you get a new console, you'll need to buy a new Logger too... ask me how I know.. ](*,)  actually, don't ask.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 06:25:03 AM »
The problem with replacing individual components is that it tends to be very expensive. A new console and a new anemometer would set you back £568.00, whereas a whole new station would cost £579.00 - only £11.00 more. And if you did need a new data logger it would cost you an astronomical £359.00. How Davis can justify charging such a ridiculous amount of money for what is a very basic piece of electronics is beyond me.

There is, though, a new wireless data logger that looks very promising, and that is being sold for a much more reasonable £149.00.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 06:46:39 AM »
The problem with replacing individual components is that it tends to be very expensive. A new console and a new anemometer would set you back £568.00, whereas a whole new station would cost £579.00 - only £11.00 more. And if you did need a new data logger it would cost you an astronomical £359.00.

There is, though, a new wireless data logger that looks very promising, and that is being sold for a much more reasonable £149.00.

Do remember also that eg in the UK it's standard practice to sell VP2 and logger as a discounted bundle, so for anyone wanting eg 6152UK + USB logger the price is £709 (with the option of the WiFi logger at the same price). The IP logger is +£170. (All inc VAT & UK shipping)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 07:04:13 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.