Author Topic: Separating anemometer from array, anyone done it?  (Read 2062 times)

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
Separating anemometer from array, anyone done it?
« on: November 01, 2015, 05:45:08 PM »
This is a fairly long term goal, but the next time I service my Rainwise Mk III I would like to move it off of the roof to the back yard for better temp accuracy and easier maintenance.  I would like to leave the anemometer up on the roof.  My questions:

Has anyone done this?

Rainwise sells a 100' Cat5e wind extention cable for $50.  Is this cable significantly different than the 100' Cat5e cable I can buy on Ebay for $8?

Would cat6 cable be better?

What do I mount the anemometer mast on?  Is it just a piece of 1 1/4" conduit or PVC? 

Do you know how to separate the anemometer mast from the rest of the sensor array?  It looks integrated with the solar radiation shield, but I'm looking from the ground.

Any other tips or suggestions?

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Separating anemometer from array, anyone done it?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 06:34:18 PM »
Looks like it can be separated: http://www.rainwise.com/products/attachments/6905/20150205012409.pdf

The anemometer may be separated from the station and mounted separately if necessary to
ensure that it is adequately free from interference. An adapter kit is available through RainWise
called the wind extension kit. 50 feet of cable (maximum length), a support mast, coupling
connector and a cap are supplied in a package. The cost is $50.00.

Not sure about the cable if you need more than 50'.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Randy

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 06:57:44 PM »
Yes, thanks.  I read those.  I also got some more hints how to do it from the flag pole mounting manual:

http://www.rainwise.com/products/attachments/6814/20061207010608.pdf

When I decide to do this, I will probably call Lonnie and ask if I can get the wind extension kit with 100' instead of 50' of cable.  A very rough estimate indicates I need about 75' of cable between the anemometer and the sensor array if I want to protect and hide it.  Lonnie will likely know about any pitfallsI might run into as well.

Offline Revtoe35

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 07:19:04 PM »
Just curious if you ever did the separation.  I'm waiting on delivery of a MK III and plan to do this down the road.

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 08:41:34 PM »
Not yet.  I was planning to wait until spring, but it seems like it's already here!

Offline Revtoe35

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 06:30:41 AM »
Appreciate the update and look forward to hearing how it goes.  I've got another newbiee question for you.  How did you get the WU data in your signature block?  I will register with WU once I get my station up and running.  It should arrive on Monday.  I ordered the WU MK III Special from Rainwise.  Any advice is appreciated.

anything