Author Topic: No more AWEKAS  (Read 17606 times)

Offline viker

• Skrikarhyttanväder
No more AWEKAS
« on: July 27, 2011, 08:15:29 AM »
hello

Today I received an mail from AWEKAS regarding my data sent, either the temp or the humidity was wrong?!  and therefore the temp- and humiditydata was blocked.

The village I live in is surrounded by an small mountainridge that makes temperatures to differerentiate from the official SMHI-prognosis.

Due to the fact that AWEKAS did not ask about why I was sending in their opinion wrong data, before blocking temp- and humiditydata, I have stopped all data to AWEKAS
and also requested them to cancel my account.

best regards
Christer Bergström

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: No more AWEKAS
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 08:22:43 AM »
Yes, I feel they should first notify the owner of the possible discrepancy to have it looked at. If contact can not be made then maybe block it until something can be done (if it is wrong).

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 08:28:59 AM »
  I agree!!  I cannot understand why these sites that get data do things like that.  I have seen the same thing mentioned about CWOP on the forum before.  :?

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 09:01:37 AM »
I agree with the CWOP quality control analysis.  They never consider the terrain and local environment.  And what is MADIS?
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 09:35:21 AM »
http://madis.noaa.gov/

I'm a MADIS station.

Offline ArmySlowRdr

• Senior Contributor
    • South Central Killeen
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 09:36:45 AM »
I agree that the sights shouldn't block data. Granted their services are free but they cannot expect 100% accurate data from what is basically consumer-grade electronics.  

Often I do not appear on the WU map and I wonder why. Since I put the thermometer sensor in a shield the temp is usually right there with others + 0r minus 3 degrees.  Only thing i can think of is when the WSDL software decides to send spiked data.

It would be so much better if such sites as this would let us go in and edit our "bad" data out and then their graphs, charts, logs etc be updated from there.  I do see WU lets one edit some sort of file but i noticed it has absolutely no effect on anything. The bad rain data for example still remians in the sumamry totals and etc.

How hard could it be....

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 09:42:52 AM »
Many of these sites pass this data on to others and they want to ensure that what they pass is good data. MADIS sites for the most part are fairly reliable and consistent and generally pass the Quality Control procedures that MADIS has in place.

Go here and drill down to a station and then double-click it. Be patient. It will open another window with data from that station. You'll notice codes next to some of the data. The quality control code shown after the temperature in the history window that comes up when you click on a station is one of the following:
Z = "No QC applied"
C = "Passed QC stage 1"
S = "Passed QC stages 1 and 2"
V = "Passed QC stages 1, 2 and 3"
X = "Failed QC stage 1"
Q = "Passed QC stage 1, but failed stages 2 or 3 "
G = "Included in accept list"
B = "Included in reject list"

Stage definitions are the following:
observation validity checks
temporal and internal consistency checks
spatial consistency checks

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 10:22:19 AM »
Tony

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 10:30:32 AM »
I didn't have anything to do with it I don't think! It just happened over time. I believe it had to do with the data I was sending to CWOP (or WU) but can't be sure.

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 10:37:21 AM »
Gotcha. Thanks!  8-)
Tony

Offline dkinsc

• Contributor
    • ClemsonKFAP Weather
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 11:59:53 AM »
http://madis.noaa.gov/

I'm a MADIS station.
I believe a lot of us are, through CWOP and APRSWXNET.
Del
KSCCLEMS2 and DW6419

Offline TNETWeather

• Kevin Reed (KrelvinAZ)
  • Senior Contributor
  • Davis Vantage Pro2+ with full FARS
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 10:51:33 AM »
I was of the impression that MADIS sites were unknown, ie not published info.     Perhaps that is not correct anymore?

Where are you seeing that a site is specifically a MADIS designated site?
All you need is Time, Aptitude and Desire ... and you can build just about anything...

Offline TNETWeather

• Kevin Reed (KrelvinAZ)
  • Senior Contributor
  • Davis Vantage Pro2+ with full FARS
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 11:30:40 AM »
I did some checking again and see the same reference I seem to recall in the past.  On the CWOP Pages under Neighboring Stations is the note:

This is a list of stations that are close to this station. Note that this is not the list of stations that are used in the data analysis. That list of stations is known only to MADIS.

Emphasis is mine.
All you need is Time, Aptitude and Desire ... and you can build just about anything...

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 12:20:47 PM »
The reference stations are not known.  Go here http://madis.noaa.gov/sfc_display/ Those are all MADIS stations.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 12:22:03 PM »
I did some checking again and see the same reference I seem to recall in the past.  On the CWOP Pages under Neighboring Stations is the note:

This is a list of stations that are close to this station. Note that this is not the list of stations that are used in the data analysis. That list of stations is known only to MADIS.

Emphasis is mine.

If I look on my WU history page I have a MADIS number that is my CWOP number without the W:  D0148.  I guess that's because the data I supply to CWOP also goes to MADIS.  You can see every MADIS station here:

http://madis.noaa.gov/sfc_display/

What is kept unknown to the public are the stations that are used for one's QA.  The reason that the stations used for QA are kept unknown is also unknown.   :-k

The "temporal and internal consistency checks" sounds like a crack or warp in the time-space continuum.   :shock:

It may end up being an international weather conspiracy!   8-)

(Drats!  Steve beat me to the punch!)   :oops:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 12:23:58 PM »
I think the reference stations are unknown because they figure if you know which ones they are, you'll try to tweak your data to match which kinda defeats the purpose of what they're after.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 03:53:30 PM »
I think a lot of us are shown on the MADIS displays and tables. I see I am there as AS061. My data is fed into the system via the APRSWXNET as I am an amateur radio station reporting weather. I also send CWOP data. Not sure there is anything special about showing up on the MADIS display though. It just happens.

AS061 (APRSWXNET) W3DRM Minden NV US
time    slp         t / td          dir / spd / gst/pcp   presWx & skyCover & Visibility
(UTC)  (mb)          (F)                    (mph)  (in.)                          (mi)
1856 1021.5(S) 84.0(S)/35.90(S) 306°(S)/003(S)/009/0.00"
1851 1021.5(V) 84.0(V)/35.90(V) 290°(V)/003(V)/009/0.00"
1846 1021.6(V) 84.0(V)/37.30(V) 288°(V)/004(V)/008/0.00"
1841 1021.7(V) 84.0(V)/35.90(V) 288°(V)/004(V)/008/0.00"
1836 1021.5(V) 83.0(V)/35.10(V) 290°(V)/000(V)/005/0.00"
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 06:49:05 PM »
 You can see every MADIS station here:

http://madis.noaa.gov/sfc_display/

Actually, there are more stations then that. All you can see there is data from networks that allow public access to the data they collect.

I seem to recall a different list, with which where public, but here's one: http://madis.noaa.gov/network_info.html.

Ahh, here it is: http://madis.noaa.gov/mesonet_providers.html only those networks with a 3 in the distribution column will show up on the MADIS surface display (unless one has a NOAA IP).

Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

anything