Author Topic: C84612 Going back to Costco  (Read 2461 times)

Offline Cayuse

C84612 Going back to Costco
« on: March 10, 2014, 11:23:09 AM »
Well after getting my Lacrosse C84612 unit working the way it really should have out of the package with the help of skydvrz' software, available in this thread http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=14299.0, yesterday my device lost contact with the remote sensors and all the wall unit would display was the indoor temp/humidity.  I went through and tried various resets several times and made a run to the store to get a fresh set of batteries but to no avail. 

Unfortunately my local Costco doesn't stock these year-round so it looks like I will need to start shopping for another unit of some sort.  Hope everyone else ends up having better luck with their units.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
Re: C84612 Going back to Costco
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 07:33:02 PM »
Yeah - these things are pretty cheap.  My rain gauge quit - just out of warranty - so I took it apart and trouble shot it a bit.  Turns out the magnetic reed switch is toast.  This is the switch that pulses each time the gauge "teeter-totter" rocks back and forth in the rain water stream.

I bought a bunch of replacement switches from Digikey and will be soldering in a new one soon.  Luckily they only cost about 30 cents a pop - a new RG runs about $50 USD!

Offline swus

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 11:06:21 AM »
  I have the same problem with the rain sensor as it has been out of service for about one year.  Any advice appreciated as to part number etc. from digikey.  thanks.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 07:45:54 PM »
Swus:

Sorry I took so long getting back to you.  I am up to my neck in writing software for the C84612 and just noticed your post/question today.

The Digikey part number for the magnetic reed switch I used was:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/ORD324-1015/374-1092-ND/2171069

If I had to do this over, I would get a more sensitive switch.  These work but they are a bit on the numb side, magnetically speaking.

The good news is, the things are really cheap ($0.60 a pop), so you can afford to buy several different kinds.  Make sure the length,  diameter and lead style is the same as the part number above, so you don't have clearance or soldering issues.  It is a tight squeeze in the rain gauge PC board housing. 

Make sure you practice good ESD techniques or you may brick the PCB with a static zap.  Use a teensie soldering iron tip - this is all surface mount component stuff.

Good luck with your project!