Author Topic: Opinions Wanted  (Read 14803 times)

Offline NoQuitters

• Forecaster
  • W0DLJ - 145.470
    • Overland Park Weather
Opinions Wanted
« on: November 04, 2006, 04:18:20 PM »
I'm trying out a new wireless network cam. Still haven't decided if I want to keep it or spend some $$ and get one of the higher end models. If you wouldn't mind giving your opinion I'd appreciate it. It's running in wireless mode on my front porch so it may take a second to connect.

KCWX Net Cam

username is netcam
password is password

Offline Ravenstar

• Senior Contributor
    • http://veronaweather.com
Re: Opinions Wanted
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 05:19:51 PM »
I don't know anything about cams you'll have to wait on some discerning eyes for that, but I think the pic is awesome and I never saw a user interface like that before, very nice.

Vantage pro 2 (wireless)

Offline talbert1952

• Contributor
    • http://tobaccovilleweather.com
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 07:02:56 PM »
Quote from: "NoQuitters"
I'm trying out a new wireless network cam. Still haven't decided if I want to keep it or spend some $$ and get one of the higher end models. If you wouldn't mind giving your opinion I'd appreciate it. It's running in wireless mode on my front porch so it may take a second to connect.

You didn't mention the camera make or model. I haven't seen the day picture yet but the low light performance isn't very good at the current settings. There is way too much chroma noise. Does the camera have a "slow shutter" option? The UI looks good. Update speed is good. You must have a big pipe to the internet.
Tom
W4SNA
IRLP 4069 - Echolink W4SNA-R

http://tobaccovilleweather.com/
Hardware: Davis 6153 wireless VP2 with 24 hr fan aspirated radiation shield, WMR968, Boltek Stormtracker PCI,
  Hamtronics R139, stacked Woodhouse 6X6 beams on Yaesu G-5500 az/el rotator
Software: Weatherlink, VWS, Image Salsa, Lightning/2000, GRLevel3 with Allison House data feed, WxtoImg

Offline NoQuitters

• Forecaster
  • W0DLJ - 145.470
    • Overland Park Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 07:50:10 PM »
Camera is a Panasonic Panasonic BL-C30A Didn't want to break the bank if I couldn't get the wireless option to work well outside. Low light images do leave a lot to be desired but other than that it seems to do alright. It does have 10x digital zoom which is ok but get's real grainy at anything past 2.

As for the "big pipe" it's just business class DSL. 4 mbs down and around 775 to 1 up. One of the perks for being the system admin for 5 locations that all use the same internet service. :wink:

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 08:21:02 PM »
I have it's wired cousin, the Panasonic BL-C10A as my (indoor mounted) netcam.  http://saratoga-weather.org/netcam.php

Rather than having folks access the cam directly (and move the view from the only portal through the trees in front), I have Image Salsa download a high-quality 320x240 image once a second, and stamp it with the weather/time info.  Folks who access the image on the netcam page have a javascript refresh the image once a second from the Image Salsa webserver (with a port punched through the hardware firewall).  Image Salsa also provides a 120x90px thumbnail for my home page, uploaded by Image Salsa every 15 seconds.

My netcam was a bit less expensive (no wireless).  I'd prefer a sharper focus (or a focus adjustment), and the camera washes out against the clouds v.s. blue sky sometimes.  Otherwise, for under $200, it's not a bad little camera.

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 08:43:23 PM »
That's neat!

I'll look again tomorrow if I get a chance.  With my slow dialup connection I got a bit lost and pointed into total darkness for a minute.  But I have it showing the lights again now for the next visitor.  :lol:

That would require a weather enclosure with heat and cooling if say I would put one like it on my antenna tower right?
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline NoQuitters

• Forecaster
  • W0DLJ - 145.470
    • Overland Park Weather
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 08:42:26 AM »
That would require a weather enclosure with heat and cooling if say I would put one like it on my antenna tower right?

That it would. It isn't weatherproof by any means. Even has a nice little sticker on the side that says indoor use only, but where it is mounted right now it's pretty safe. I have a feeling I'm going to end up getting something along the lines of this BB-HCM381A and get an outdoor enclosure for it.

I do however just for grins have one of these USB Color Camera with Pan / Tilt on the way because my current Logitech 4000 is all but dead after being exposed to the sun for 2 years.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 11:42:18 AM »
I looked at again in daylight.  Saw some birds and leaves needing raked up.  Looks like my yard.   :lol:

It was a touch fuzzy and faded with the sun but not bad once I adjusted the brightness to whatever it was I wanted to focus in on.  Looks like it would be great for a weather cam.  But if you wanted to identify bird species it would need to be a little sharper and better colors.   :wink:

I'm a bit surprised how well it is working with a 28K dial up 3.3Kb avg. transfer rate.  I've been on commercial cams that the image would break up and I had trouble operating the controls.  But yours is running real smooth with no breakup in the image.  I just see a thin refresh line come down the image as it updates.
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline up10ad N9RJH

• USA Weather Finder
  • WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
  • Station will be back up someday...
    • Forecaster without a site
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 11:55:25 AM »
That's a nice image and really interesting control set, especially for the price.  It auto-iris well to compensate for light conditions, and if it is overexposed you can always adjust it with the on-screen control.  

The one thing I'm not very fond of is the necessity to download an Active-X control to view it.  I much prefer a Javascript solution, and many folks sinply won't use Active-X.

For the $ it seems pretty nice.  If you are serious about the BB-HCM381A and spending that kind of cash for a PTZ and enclosure, take a look at the Canon VB-C50iR as well.  You can see it in action here
Rick (N9RJH)
Have you joined USAWeatherFinder.com yet?

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 12:24:25 PM »
Quote from: "k6dyc"
The one thing I'm not very fond of is the necessity to download an Active-X control to view it.  I much prefer a Javascript solution, and many folks sinply won't use Active-X.here

I could view it with FireFox, which of course doesn't use ActiveX--probably getting a motion jpeg push (MJPEG) instead...

That's always been a main criteria for me with any video cams, it cannot require ActiveX or IE...

The only annoying thing to me is that the entire interface redraws when you pick a preset, or change a setting--rather than just the video image itself (at least in FireFox...).
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2006, 02:23:53 PM »
I should of mentioned I'm running Firefox 2.0.
Mark 

Offline NoQuitters

• Forecaster
  • W0DLJ - 145.470
    • Overland Park Weather
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 10:50:28 AM »
Well after a few days of testing I've decided to get something else. The low light performance and lack of an optical zoom pretty much decided it. Now the question is what to get?

Offline capeweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.capeweather.com
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2006, 01:29:58 PM »
I would have to agree on the low light performance but the day time looked pretty good. I kind of enjoyed looking at the birds that were playing around on your feeder and on your grass. Very cool.

Chris
Cape Coral, Florida

Offline up10ad N9RJH

• USA Weather Finder
  • WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
  • Station will be back up someday...
    • Forecaster without a site
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2006, 02:22:54 PM »
Quote from: "NoQuitters"
Now the question is what to get?

I got my Canon at Nuspectra.com, they have good pricing and sell both cams and heated enclosures.
Rick (N9RJH)
Have you joined USAWeatherFinder.com yet?

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2006, 02:45:58 PM »
Shucks, I missed seeing the test of the "Panasonic BL-C30A" camera. Does anyone know of another site that is using that particluar camera? I'd like to see what the pictures look like.

I don't have any real need for low light performance since it is so dark around here at night (no street lights, etc). Mainly interested in daytime views of the Carson Valley.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2006, 02:50:01 PM »
Don:

My BLC10A is the wired version of the BLC30A so you can take a look at http://saratoga-weather.org/netcam.php

I don't let folks fiddle with the controls because the angle of view is very restricted (between two trees) and don't want to have to realign it :-)

Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2006, 03:27:03 PM »
Thanks Ken, I didn't realize the 10 and 30 used the same camera elements. Am looking for something in the $200 price range but haven't decided on anything as yet. Getting my Christmas list together...  :lol:
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline NoQuitters

• Forecaster
  • W0DLJ - 145.470
    • Overland Park Weather
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2006, 09:41:11 PM »
Quote from: "W3DRM"
Shucks, I missed seeing the test of the "Panasonic BL-C30A" camera. Does anyone know of another site that is using that particluar camera? I'd like to see what the pictures look like.

I don't have any real need for low light performance since it is so dark around here at night (no street lights, etc). Mainly interested in daytime views of the Carson Valley.

Here's what you missed but inside in a well lit room.
http://67.154.21.186:8002/CgiStart?page=Single&Resolution=640x480&Quality=Clarity&RPeriod=0&Size=STD&PresetOperation=Move&Language=0

Offline NoQuitters

• Forecaster
  • W0DLJ - 145.470
    • Overland Park Weather
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2006, 09:02:49 AM »
Now this is impressive. User name: guest  password: guest

http://70.107.225.104/en/AViewerJ.html

Click on control twice to get it to open and look around NY City.

anything