Author Topic: Vue - Internet options  (Read 447 times)

Offline skippyinspace

Vue - Internet options
« on: December 27, 2018, 12:11:47 PM »
Hi All,

Been doing some searches on this as Im trying to establish what all the options are to connect a Vue to the internet. A lot of information is a few years old.

My current set up is pluging the vue into the laptop at random times using a Davis USB datalogger cable.
Looking at something more permanent but don't want to have the expense of a new laptop.

What options do I have for a 24 hour connection preference is wifi and can I be pointed in the right direction for information, Cost is a factor

Wifi logger  - prodata weather
Pi - what model, and how?
Meteo Bridge, Lots of options, Firmware flash?
Davis weather IP - Expensive out of price range

Is there anything else.

Not a tech savy as I once was and if I can brick it there is a 80% chance that I will unless the instructions are perfect.

As per the comment / response below, My to the internet would be something like weather under ground, Something that I can see when not at home. Not going down the website road.

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 01:02:59 PM by skippyinspace »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Vue - Internet options
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 12:45:56 PM »
Think you need to spell out what you want to achieve by 'uploading to the Internet'. Is uploading to a single online platform like Weather Underground or WOW or Weathercloud or weatherlink.com sufficient? Or do you want to upload  to your own website or have much more control over the data processing?

Unsurprisingly, simpler objectives are achieved more easily, with less technical overhead and often more cheaply. OTOH solutions that offer maximum choice and flexibility will, perhaps inevitably, tend to require more setting up and maintenance.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 12:48:46 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline skippyinspace

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 01:10:59 PM »
have edited the main post to say weather underground

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 01:57:45 PM »
have edited the main post to say weather underground

Well, in that relatively simple case WFL or Nano are likely to be suitable and easy. WFL is cheaper, Nano has more features, but if WU is your only objective then Nano might (?) be overkill. Actually, the cheapest option is probably to make your own Meteobridge but that's going to need more input from you, and I rather get the impression you're looking for something that's as close to turnkey as possible.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline skippyinspace

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 03:58:56 PM »
I would be up for trying to make a meteobridge.
had also thought about the pi route but not sure on how to get on either road

thanks for the help

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 04:15:01 PM »
Well instructions for making a Meteobridge start at https://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Preparing_Hardware, but obviously the exact details depend which router you decide to use as a host. You may need to take some care to ensure that the right host version is being purchased.

For a Pi then you'll presumably choose some Linux-compatible software like weewx or CumulusMX. The Pi is probably the cheaper option, but don't just look at the bare Pi price - remember you'll need a mains adapter, SD card, case etc. This option is also OK if you're already familiar with Linux, but if not then there's a significant learning curve.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 04:21:33 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 04:56:56 PM »
If you were starting from scratch, a Nano(SD) would be a simple solution to a USB Logger + Box?? + Flashing + Ancillaries + Time involved and final cost would probably be much the same, but then you have a USB logger cost to begin with 

anything