Author Topic: New Weather Radio  (Read 2956 times)

Offline CSX6602

New Weather Radio
« on: July 07, 2016, 12:01:49 PM »
Good morning, so I have a bit of a problem. Last night I lost my midland wr 100 (had a missing antenna as well) to the "screeching sound" on all stations I was some what surprised it took 7 years to do this but oh well. So I was thinking about replacing it for my weather radio collection, I've narrowed it down to the radio shack 12-262, the radio shack 12-521, or if there are issues with that one the reecom-R1630. My question is what is the difference between the 12-262 and 12-521 and have there been reported hardware problems such as the "screeching sound". Thanks have a nice day!
(edit) Odd thing about the WR100 some times it will work for a period of time then goes back to screeching.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 03:21:47 PM by CSX6602 »

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
Re: New Weather Radio
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 04:52:54 PM »
Not sure about the difference between the two Radio Shack radios.

I have a Reecom at home and at the school I work for we have a Radio Shack (looks identical to the ones you've asked about) and a Reecom. The biggest difference I've found between the Radio Shack and the Reecom would be in programming the radio - the Reecom was easier (more intuitive) and I had to dig out the manual the last time I made a change to the Radio Shack.

As soon as construction is completed on the latest addition to the school (also the new tornado shelter for the entire school), I'll be adding another Reecom, using the alarm socket to AUTOMATICALLY activate an LED strobe at the shelter entrance (another great feature of the Reecom).

I'll check the Radio Shack in the morning and let you know which one we have.

Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 10:09:51 PM »
Not sure about those Radio shack models but I recently purchased the RadioShack SAME Weather Radio 12-991

Working good in my area although reception has always been notably weak the Alert has sounded several times recently and WOW its so loud its scared me the first time it went off.   Once the antenna is positioned though it comes in clear.  Its a basic model but a good deal for the price.

Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

Offline CSX6602

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 11:46:25 PM »
I ended up with the 12-262 which is a nice radio, and it too has the external alert so you can plug in a strobe light. I do plan on getting a reecom in the near future but for the moment this will do.