Author Topic: Looking for a station that reports to the internet/WU  (Read 2642 times)

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
Looking for a station that reports to the internet/WU
« on: March 01, 2017, 08:21:00 AM »
I have an older LaCrosse station that's wired and the outdoor sensor stopped working some time ago. I'm looking to replace it with something that's wireless and I can access when I'm not at the house. There's a chance I may get two stations; one for our weekend house 120 miles to the north in Vermont and one for the main residence in CT.

Accurite has some good pricing on their units. But I wonder about the longevity. Seems that spending a few more dollars on an Ambient Weather unit may be worth it in the long run.

Any input is appreciated.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Looking for a station that reports to the internet/WU
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 08:30:15 AM »
If you get Meteobridge, which btw. is IMHO great an has lot of options and is compatible with almost all models, then you can connect it to practically any network and it can also be accessed via a URL from any place where you have access to the internet. It supports both wi-fi and ethernet.

Offline dow

• Village Idiot in training
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 09:18:48 AM »
I have an ambient weather ws-1400-ip, and have been very happy with it.  While it doesn't have an indoor display, it does report to WU, and is available that way.  I've found it to be reliable and accurate (at least it agrees pretty closely with other weather stations in my area.  I did have to replace the sensor array last year, but that was due to hail damage, not normal failure.  I'd say it was a well-spent $160. I got mine from Amazon, and it looks like the price hasn't changed. https://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-WS-1400-IP-Monitoring-Radiation/dp/B00O9YIEJW :)

Edited to add: You mentioned putting a second unit at your other house.  Be aware that you'll need to have always on internet access to publish from the other location.  If you normally shut the utilities down in the winter or something like that, then obviously the data won't be published to WU or anywhere else.

One more thing: my home owner's insurance paid to replace the damaged sensor array after the storm. :)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 10:47:57 AM by dow »
https://www.pwsweather.com/station/pws/ktxboern48
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 10:42:28 AM »
I am headed into year 4 on an Acurite 5-1 (with Meteobridge, too!); all is well so far.  Pretty hard to beat the price.  I also have a Davis and it costs 4-5 times and is probably worth it.  YMMV
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 03:16:54 PM »
Thanks for input so far everyone!

Anyone have insight into what the common issues are with the AcuRite stations? What's appealing is the lower cost and the fact that you get display with it.

dow,
Good point with the power and the internet. Fortunately, we're up there fairly frequently, so the utilities are left on. I have a few IP cams up there and they've been great for keeping an eye on the place.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 03:45:50 PM »
Build quality is so-so.  Temps tend to be overreported due to poor radiation shielding. Wind vane spins a bit much.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 04:27:00 PM »
Thanks Bushman. Which 5-1 setup do you have?
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 04:33:31 PM »
What's appealing is the lower cost and the fact that you get display with it.
Like just about anything else in life, you get what you pay for. PWS's are no different.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 04:39:33 PM »
Thanks Bushman. Which 5-1 setup do you have?
https://www.acurite.com/pro-weather-station-with-5-in-1-forecast-temperature-humidity-wind-rain.html plus the SmartHub/bridge.  I also have some extra temp/hum sensors (garage, basement etc.)Also hooked up via a Meteobridge.  I think I paid like $80 for the wx station and 50 for the SmartHub?  I am planning on getting a 3-1 down the road and another hub. 

If you watch the Acurite facebook account or Woot etc. there are usually great deals to be had.  IIRC they recently had the 5-1 Pro with two consoles for $89

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 04:40:45 PM »
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline hotsauce2007

• Weather Station
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 04:56:38 PM »

why not one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302187316642?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks! I didn't realize LaCrosse made a wifi station. Is it a fairly new model?

yes, it is.
I have one and theres a new model that comes with lighting detector too, here is:

http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/328-2314-professional-weather-station-lightning-detector/

I did a little review about mine, here is:

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=31565.0

\:D/

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 09:47:17 AM »
Nice! Holding up well so far?
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline hotsauce2007

• Weather Station
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2017, 09:52:32 AM »
Nice! Holding up well so far?

yah,

lets see how many years will last
I hope at least 5, but probably I will sell and buy one davis soon. I wish davis had a lcd like la crosse

Offline Sooner Al

• Old enough to know better...
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2017, 05:30:55 AM »
I hope at least 5, but probably I will sell and buy one davis soon. I wish davis had a lcd like la crosse

I'd be happy if Davis came out with a color console/display unit I could simply swap out with the existing console/display.
Retired NWS ESA/ET
Sys: Davis VP2 (Wireless)

Offline hotsauce2007

• Weather Station
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2017, 08:09:50 AM »

I'd be happy if Davis came out with a color console/display unit I could simply swap out with the existing console/display.

yah me too
the console is great if you set it in one ship or a farm wall, but for us that just want to put it at home is a little ugly.

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2017, 01:07:01 PM »

yah me too
the console is great if you set it in one ship or a farm wall, but for us that just want to put it at home is a little ugly.

Build your own color console. If you already have a weather station setup and gathering data, all it takes is a Raspberry PI and a tablet. Your used tablet that has been replaced by a 'new & improved' model works perfectly for this.  There are plenty of software options to build a console. Three excellent starting points would be Jáchym's Meteotemplate, weatherist34's HOMEWEATHERSTATION or CumulusMX. Any one of those will make a far better console than you will ever get from a hardware manufacturer. If you are not sure how to make any of these work, there is plenty of knowledgeable and willing members on this forum to help you.

There are plenty of complaints about the Davis 'outdated' console. Why waste time complaining about something that is beyond your control, you can fix the problem in just a few hours time.

Offline hotsauce2007

• Weather Station
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2017, 09:11:43 AM »

yah me too

Build your own color console. If you already have a weather station setup and gathering data, all it takes is a Raspberry PI and a tablet. Your used tablet that has been replaced by a 'new & improved' model works perfectly for this.  There are plenty of software options to build a console. Three excellent starting points would be Jáchym's Meteotemplate, weatherist34's HOMEWEATHERSTATION or CumulusMX. Any one of those will make a far better console than you will ever get from a hardware manufacturer. If you are not sure how to make any of these work, there is plenty of knowledgeable and willing members on this forum to help you.

There are plenty of complaints about the Davis 'outdated' console. Why waste time complaining about something that is beyond your control, you can fix the problem in just a few hours time.

True, that´s why I´m learning how to create this on tablet. I just wish I could use wunderstation for android... ](*,)

Offline KD8DWO

• Frog pond
    • Wunderground History
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2017, 08:17:49 PM »
If you get Meteobridge, which btw. is IMHO great an has lot of options and is compatible with almost all models, then you can connect it to practically any network and it can also be accessed via a URL from any place where you have access to the internet. It supports both wi-fi and ethernet.

$425, seems a bit pricey.

I just bought a new AMD motherboard, RAM, and CPU, for half of that...
Knacht

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2017, 08:35:16 PM »

$425, seems a bit pricey.

I just bought a new AMD motherboard, RAM, and CPU, for half of that...

That is the reason why there is Meteobridge .

anything