Author Topic: Gas Prices  (Read 53742 times)

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
Re: Gas Prices
« Reply #550 on: March 04, 2019, 07:56:57 AM »
Looks like it creeped up to 2.21 over the last week or so at our largest station.  I also noticed that of the four stations in our town, three of them are now MARATHON.  :?  The large MARATHON is the highest priced...the other three are/were(?) at 2.19 as of Friday.  The fourth one, a Tom Thumb store, is (I think) still a Citgo.

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
    • Winter Park Highlands Web cams
« Reply #551 on: April 16, 2019, 08:55:30 AM »
Memorial Day is over a month away and gas has hit $3.00 here. \:D/

Mark
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." - Dylan

Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ 24 hr FARS and (2) VantageVues

VP2 uploading via Vue console to CWOP, WU, PWS, and Weathercloud.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #552 on: April 16, 2019, 09:01:57 AM »
$2.39 here yesterday at Murphy's.

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #553 on: August 20, 2019, 07:34:03 AM »
Lowest [87 octane] gas prices around here seem to be in Beeville, TX, where I saw a range of $2.19-2.40/gal [diesel ~$0.40 more/g].
US Hwy 181 ranges: $2.30-2.50. Suspect that prices in Corpus Christi are probably closer to $2.
I filled up at the Beeville HEB @$2.24/g. I don't buy at unknown pumps if possible; even if 'cheaper', not worth the hassle-- bad gas, cheating measures, stolen account #s, etc. BTDT, EG: those ubiquitous 'convenience' stores, haven't set foot in one in decades.
[prices given rounded up from that irritating $2.18.9 BS ]

Waiting on an 'affordable', large-size, EV/PHEV SUV; plug-in electric is the way to go, the future. With home solar/wind power for recharging it.
The Tesla Model X [a mid-size SUV] is very nice, but too small [for 6'4" me], and just can't justify forking over ~$100K+ for a vehicle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Model_X

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #554 on: August 20, 2019, 01:40:12 PM »
Ah, "cheating" - or just a dumb sucker? - just returned from my annual trip to Denver, most prices were around $2.50/gal. However I pulled into a station in Raton and it was totally overrun with cars, seemingly each with 6 people minimum, all piling out to go inside and get cokes etc. I just wanted to gas-n-go. When I finally got to a pump I did the credit card thing, jammed the hose into the tank and hit the button and went to wash the windshield. As I returned from the front it was just clicking off and I pulled the hose and looked at the price $59.63??? I drive a Jeep with an 18 gal tank. It was then I looked at the price per gallon and at the left hand button I'm used to pushing and yes, it was SUPER ROCKET FUEL PLATINUM INFUSED DIAMOND GRADE whatever at $3.93/gal. Yes, they put the Super button on the left, the Middle grade on the right end and hid the regular in the middle. I thought ok, you got your sucker for the day, I'll not be stopping in again. But, the old Jeep did fly over Raton Pass - ha.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #555 on: August 20, 2019, 03:19:22 PM »
About six months ago I put a conversion kit on my car and I now run on corn. It's about $2.20 a gallon.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #556 on: August 20, 2019, 03:21:25 PM »
Is that with, or without tax? - musn't forget the gov you know?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #557 on: August 20, 2019, 03:22:40 PM »
Out the door...May even be cheaper than that, I don't really pay attention.

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
« Reply #558 on: August 20, 2019, 03:34:39 PM »
About six months ago I put a conversion kit on my car and I now run on corn. It's about $2.20 a gallon.

Wondering your MPG versus gas? We seem to lose ~3mpg at 10% ethanol. We still can get 100% gas at every station.

Doug

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #559 on: August 20, 2019, 03:44:07 PM »

Wondering your MPG versus gas? We seem to lose ~3mpg at 10% ethanol. We still can get 100% gas at every station.

Doug
Running E10 is garbage, I'd never do it if you have pure gas available, and many places don't now-a-days. E85 here is actually about E82, I run ~E65 so as not to over-tax my injector's duty cycle. My gas mileage is still about the same.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #560 on: August 20, 2019, 05:36:46 PM »

I bought the ultimate flex-fuel vehicle back in May.  It runs on coal, hydro, solar, natural gas, diesel, gasoline, methane, hydrogen, nuclear, and even wind.  My daily commute dropped from $3.20/day to $0.52/day, and I haven't visited a gas station since April because I fill up at home every night with only premium electrons.  My DW picked her own new car up a few weeks later, and her commute has dropped from $400/month to $74/month.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #561 on: August 20, 2019, 05:58:03 PM »

I bought the ultimate flex-fuel vehicle back in May.  It runs on coal, hydro, solar, natural gas, diesel, gasoline, methane, hydrogen, nuclear, and even wind.  My daily commute dropped from $3.20/day to $0.52/day, and I haven't visited a gas station since April because I fill up at home every night with only premium electrons.  My DW picked her own new car up a few weeks later, and her commute has dropped from $400/month to $74/month.....
Very funny. I didn't buy the kit to save money, I bought it to complement my motor's 11.5 to 1 compression ratio and my DME's ability to advance my ignition timing due to now running on 100 octane vs 91, and a cooler running motor just as some gravy on top. Just a tiny difference....

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #562 on: August 20, 2019, 06:03:52 PM »
Ah, "cheating" - or just a dumb sucker? - ...
 and looked at the price $59.63??? I drive a Jeep with an 18 gal tank. It was then I looked at the price per gallon and at the left hand button I'm used to pushing and yes, it was SUPER ROCKET FUEL PLATINUM INFUSED DIAMOND GRADE whatever at $3.93/gal. Yes, they put the Super button on the left, the Middle grade on the right end and hid the regular in the middle. I thought ok, you got your sucker for the day, I'll not be stopping in again. But, the old Jeep did fly over Raton Pass - ha.

Heheh, amazing the trickery some businesses will go to to shaft someone. That's a new one to me, but I doubt that HEB, Wally, Sams are going to pull that carp. Like I wrote, it's those so-called 'convenience' stores, often of dubious ownership, that'll screw you.
My own was at one of those places, right at the SW end of the Galveston seawall. I was heading for my 'temporary' home/beach house at the West End very late Sunday after a weekend trip home *. My 400ci gasguzzler was very thirsty, so I pulled in on fumes.
Had a proven 24gal tank [don't ask, I did always carry a 2.5/g jug in the trunk...]. Started  the pump, did windows, check underhood, got to the pump.
It's cruising along past 28gal, went to ~32gal before "full". WTF! Had to check my anger, and just went in and paid the clerk with the ME accent and attitude. Having lived on island off and on for years, I knew that making a scene about it would get me [armed as usual] an 0'darkthirty trip to the slammer or worse. Knowing how corrupt Galveston was, I had no chance or choice [worked with BOI's, they had some tales].

* I changed my route/commute, started going through Freeport, Surfside and up Follets Island, across the San Luis Pass tollbridge and 'home', a very nice sunrise drive.

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #563 on: August 20, 2019, 06:16:15 PM »

You realize that running on ethanol/alcohol could be bad for your engine? Even if supposedly designed 'safe' for it.

More interesting is that it makes you a prime 'welfare queen', yeah, one of those. Since the whole corn-based ethanol fuel deal is extremely heavily subsidized by the federal government [and, iirc, some states].
And the whole scheme actually costs more than dino fuel to produce per gallon, though it could have been different, except for the politicians screwing it up.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #564 on: August 20, 2019, 06:40:39 PM »

You realize that running on ethanol/alcohol could be bad for your engine? Even if supposedly designed 'safe' for it.

More interesting is that it makes you a prime 'welfare queen', yeah, one of those.

Really? Why don't you tell that to Brazil that even way back 2013 94% of the cars sold were on corn. Don't hear them bitchin', nor anyone in the States for that matter...

As far as 'welfare queen', I have no idea what that is nor do I care.

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #565 on: August 20, 2019, 06:45:01 PM »

Dang, I'm jealous. What kind of EV/PHEV did y'all get? If you don't mind stating it.

I seriously looked at some Chevy Volts, but they were just too small for me, and my usages. The Volt is based on the compact-class [GM Delta II platform] Chevy Cruze chassis. Great vehicle though, jes luv those screens and data displays. My [fairly new, low mile] SUV has a bunch of fancy, top-of-the-line electronics goodies, 8 months on I'm still learning stuff.
I just consider the Teslas currently overpriced [justifiably so], for me, and won't buy Japanese vehicles if a choice.
Need an SUV [much prefer over a pickup, although a pickup is better for a few jobs].

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #566 on: August 20, 2019, 07:02:23 PM »
About six months ago I put a conversion kit on my car and I now run on corn.

Do you have to shuck it first?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #567 on: August 20, 2019, 07:08:22 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oShTJ90fC34

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #568 on: August 20, 2019, 07:13:11 PM »

Dam dude I was just looking for a rim shot emoticon.
Beat me to it.  :-)
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #569 on: August 20, 2019, 07:22:55 PM »

Dam dude I was just looking for a rim shot emoticon.
Beat me to it.  :-)
Snooze ya lose.....

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #570 on: August 20, 2019, 08:00:37 PM »

More interesting is that it makes you a prime 'welfare queen', yeah, one of those.

Really? Why don't you tell that to Brazil that even way back 2013 94% of the cars sold were on corn. Don't hear them bitchin', nor anyone in the States for that matter...

Really?
Brazil's ethanol fuel comes almost entirely from sugarcane, not corn; a plant that is 6-700% more efficient a source of ethanol-based fuel production. Brazil also stopped their government subsidization of E-fuel production and distribution some time ago.
I spent most of my life surrounded by Valley sugarcane fields, the dang burns were h3ll on the pool water, with all the ashfall.
Yes, US sugarcane is also heavily government-subsidized. That's why your grocery store prices on sugar and sugar-containing stuff is higher than elsewhere, and a major reason why we still embargo Cuba [and why so much lower quality, cheap corn syrup is substituted]. Yeah, I've known and worked with those dreaded Cubans; educated, smart, some refugees, some nationals [usually in other countries], good, decent folk.

The US still maintains it's huge ethanol government subsidies, direct and indirect. IOW, a 'tax' that we all pay to a relative few businesses and people [mostly big ag] who suck it all up.
Check the EWG.org website for just the many million$/billion$ of farm subsidy payment$ we make [little of it goes to those much yammered about 'family farms', most goes to the big ag-biz]. The ethanol production subsidy info is out there, but harder to find; even the gas stations get subsidy payments for the ethanol tanks and pumps.

As far as you're not knowing about "As far as 'welfare queen', I have no idea what that is nor do I care.":
You're surely being deliberately disingenuous. Everybody since the days of Raygun knows what that is.
Sort of, they just don't know or realize who the REAL 'welfare queens' are. The real corporate ones who take many billion$ and trillions of US taxpayer dollars each quarter/year.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #571 on: August 20, 2019, 08:27:33 PM »

Really?
Brazil's ethanol fuel comes almost entirely from sugarcane, not corn; a plant that is 6-700% more efficient a source of ethanol-based fuel production. Brazil also stopped their government subsidization of E-fuel production and distribution some time ago.
I spent most of my life surrounded by Valley sugarcane fields, the dang burns were h3ll on the pool water, with all the ashfall.
Yes, US sugarcane is also heavily government-subsidized. That's why your grocery store prices on sugar and sugar-containing stuff is higher than elsewhere, and a major reason why we still embargo Cuba [and why so much lower quality, cheap corn syrup is substituted]. Yeah, I've known and worked with those dreaded Cubans; educated, smart, some refugees, some nationals [usually in other countries], good, decent folk.

The US still maintains it's huge ethanol government subsidies, direct and indirect. IOW, a 'tax' that we all pay to a relative few businesses and people [mostly big ag] who suck it all up.
Check the EWG.org website for just the many million$/billion$ of farm subsidy payment$ we make [little of it goes to those much yammered about 'family farms', most goes to the big ag-biz]. The ethanol production subsidy info is out there, but harder to find; even the gas stations get subsidy payments for the ethanol tanks and pumps.

As far as you're not knowing about "As far as 'welfare queen', I have no idea what that is nor do I care.":
You're surely being deliberately disingenuous. Everybody since the days of Raygun knows what that is.
Sort of, they just don't know or realize who the REAL 'welfare queens' are. The real corporate ones who take many billion$ and trillions of US taxpayer dollars each quarter/year.
JC, WTF's your point??? You babble like.... :roll:

As far as 'welfare queen', I'm assuming it's meant as a derogatory term of myself. News for ya, you know NOTHING of me or what my contribution has been to society. Keep your uninformed, opinionated garbage about me to yourself.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #572 on: August 21, 2019, 06:47:08 AM »
Dang, I'm jealous. What kind of EV/PHEV did y'all get? If you don't mind stating it.

No PHEV here!  We bought two 100% battery (BEV) cars.  We were spending $500-$600/month on fuel before the switch, and our home electric bill only went up $175/month charging both cars now.

Mine is a 24-month lease return BMW i3, with 14K miles on the clock and two years of factory warranty (and 6 years of battery warranty) left.  Original purchaser dropped about $50K for it, and I stole it for $15K.  If you don't need a warranty, there's 2014 models in the used market for ~$12K if you shop around.  My reason for wanting it is that I am tired of seeing rust.  BMW built the i3 using a 100% carbon fiber tub, CFRP body panels, and aluminum frame.  I don't think there is much steel in the car outside of the brake rotors and lug nuts.  Where else can you buy a mid-engine, carbon fiber, European-built car for $15K that will possibly last the rest of my life?

DW wanted something bigger, so she bought the only 2019 Kia Niro BEV that they sold in our area.  It and the Hyundai Kona BEV use the same drivetrain platform, and are pretty equivalent to the Tesla Model 3 in terms of price and range.  Korean cars have a bad rep because of the early junk they shipped, but their current stuff seems to be well built.  With the $7,500 federal incentive, $2,000 state instant rebate at the dealership towards a down payment, and only scheduled maintenance being a two-year brake fluid flush (because they never get used thanks to regenerative braking), the ROI happens pretty quickly.  I can't pry the key fob out of her hands after three months of ownership, and she already has 6K miles on the clock.  The only pitfall is that they are only FWD, with no AWD option.

Whatever you do, stay away from the Nissan Leaf.  They turn a lot of people away from the EV transition due to questionable engineering choices.  My DW works with several local power company employees, and they all complain about how crappy the Leafs were that they bought for company cars.

I still have a 4x4 diesel pickup and gas race car in the driveway for long trips or moving things, but neither of them have moved in two months or have needed fuel since April.  I'll probably drive the 4WD truck on snowy days in the winter, but the programmed departure time feature of the EV has me spoiled with always climbing into a 72 degree car so much now that I might have a hard time going back to the truck.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #573 on: August 21, 2019, 02:03:48 PM »
This morning Murphy's in Marble Falls was $2.17, didn't check the super rocket fuel - ha.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #574 on: August 21, 2019, 06:07:42 PM »
Sweet!  Gas has fallen below $2 again in Stillwater.  $1.99 at Murphy's.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

anything