Author Topic: File backup Software  (Read 949 times)

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
File backup Software
« on: December 13, 2014, 11:47:00 AM »
I thought I would share with everyone the piece of software I'm using for backing up my VWS and other weather data.

I used to use a program called Automate.  I was able to get a copy from work since it's really expensive.  And I used to have a second hard drive in my PC I would replicate the data to.  But now with my new low power PC, there is only room for one drive.

I recently upgraded routers and it has a USB port on it that I attached a WD passport 2TB drive to.  Now I backup all of my data to that.

The product I'm using now is called Folder Clone.  My coworker tested it on some work data we needed replicated between servers.  What's slick about it is that it does an actual file level comparison and transfers the data.  It will only replicate data that has actually changed.  What is more surprising is that when it copies the data over, somehow they do it faster than Windows can Copy and Paste.  I don't know how, but it is quick.

I bought the Pro version because that will copy active files, which you'd want since my VWS is always running.  But I have VWS backup to different daily folders.  Weatherlink to the same folder.  You setup different automated jobs for each task.  A lot of variables.  Single copy is $45.  Buy two and it's down to $38. 

I've been using it on my old and new weather PC's, and at work for a good year.  It just works.  And fairly reasonable price.  I highly recommend it.

http://www.folderclone.com/
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Re: File backup Software
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 01:15:31 PM »
FolderClone and FolderMatch look like nice packages but, they are very similar to Fling and FileFort from NCH Software. Pricing is also very similar however, NCH Software is currently offering 50% off their products until 12/15/2014. I've run the free version of Fling for many years and it runs flawlessly and has never given me any grief or problems. Fling is available via the following link:
Just another means of doing the same thing of backing-up and moving our data, as needed...
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 01:55:03 PM »
I use Google Drive To back all my stuff up.  Whenever it detects any changes it'll upload.
Tony

Offline meteo-saint-brevin

• Senior Contributor
    • Météo Saint-Brevin
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 02:05:06 PM »
I use Cobian Backup, a free very powerful tool.
http://www.cobiansoft.com/index.htm
Marcel Le Jeune F6DOW - Saint-Brevin-les-Pins - Pays de la Loire - France
www.meteo-saint-brevin.fr
Vantage Pro2 6163EU - VirtualVP, Cumulus, WeatherLink
Wifi cam Reolink RLC-410W - Blue Iris - Blue Iris tools

anything