Author Topic: RM Young 8600s  (Read 2045 times)

Offline sho23

• KN6DZN
    • LinkedIn
RM Young 8600s
« on: August 24, 2017, 04:48:07 PM »
Afternoon,

We were trying to troubleshoot why the wind sensor was acting oddly every now and then. One day, I happened to be on a different site nearby and duh, apparently there are bird perching on it.

I've reached out to the manufacturer, and confirmed that we do indeed already have the bird spike installed. I'm afraid to tap additional holes for more spike since I don't know if it'll affect the anemometer itself.

Any tips?

Offline eyecue

Re: RM Young 8600s
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 01:47:02 PM »
WOW that is an expensive bird perch.   I think I would go with 1/2 inch wire mesh over the top BUT above the unit.  Essentially you are going to build a cage around or roof over it over it. On another note did they correct the down draft issue with US anemometers like that? 
Cocorahs, Skywarn, Aficionado of weather. Davis VP2  pro wireless, Oregon Scientific and DIY.

Offline sho23

• KN6DZN
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 03:32:38 PM »
WOW that is an expensive bird perch.   I think I would go with 1/2 inch wire mesh over the top BUT above the unit.  Essentially you are going to build a cage around or roof over it over it. On another note did they correct the down draft issue with US anemometers like that?

Wouldnt the cage itself BE a perch???

Unfortunately I'm not that well versed in the subject matter and can't tell you anything about the downdraft issue....

Offline eyecue

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 06:41:26 PM »
The cage wire would be a perch but you would not have the issues with the bird  being on the unit. RM Young has a bird wire assembly for that and it is forty dollars
Cocorahs, Skywarn, Aficionado of weather. Davis VP2  pro wireless, Oregon Scientific and DIY.

Offline sho23

• KN6DZN
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 12:30:25 PM »
The cage wire would be a perch but you would not have the issues with the bird  being on the unit. RM Young has a bird wire assembly for that and it is forty dollars

The assembly is for their bucket precip gage only :(

I called again and their tech says he's seen people do bizzare things to the sensor he is confident that just adding an extra set of bird spikes would not affect the reading. -knocks on wood-

I'll talk with our guys and see what we can add on there next time we go out.

Offline sho23

• KN6DZN
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 07:06:53 PM »
Just an update on how we remedied this.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 08:33:44 PM »
That just doesn't appear to be a good design?

Offline sho23

• KN6DZN
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 11:46:45 AM »
It have 3 OEM bird spikes that are sharp, but plastic. Big birds easily bypass them and you can see from the 2nd picture that one of the spike was lost.

But yeah.... no issue thus far, great data coming out of it :D