Author Topic: Ground Control Please Come In !  (Read 3732 times)

Offline upob

Ground Control Please Come In !
« on: September 11, 2011, 06:06:20 PM »
Along with a weather station I bought 2 cameras a Logitech and Panasonic C160A.  The C160A you run an outdoor CAT 5e cable outside from the camera housing into the indoors of my house and eventually the power transfer unit and the router.  I do not plan on burying the cat 5e cable outside.  However, I am concerned that I need to ground the cable wire ?  If so how do I ground a cable wire ?  Is grounding necessary ?

:!:  :?:

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: Ground Control Please Come In !
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 08:23:55 PM »
CAT5 is typically Unshielded Twisted Pair (UTP) and there are four balanced signals. They do not get grounded. Unbalancing these signals (like trying to ground one of them) would result in a non-working system.

There is a "Shielded Twisted Pair" that the shield could be grounded, but this is really expensive and most likely not needed.

You might want to consider grounding the housing for the camera.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline upob

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 09:37:44 PM »
CAT5 is typically Unshielded Twisted Pair (UTP) and there are four balanced signals. They do not get grounded. Unbalancing these signals (like trying to ground one of them) would result in a non-working system.

There is a "Shielded Twisted Pair" that the shield could be grounded, but this is really expensive and most likely not needed.

You might want to consider grounding the housing for the camera.

Actually the cable I bought is shielded (see below).  Since the cable is shielded is it necessary to ground the housing...The housing is under an eave on the first floor of my house...

80ft Cat5e Outdoor Waterproof Ethernet Cable Direct Burial 80 ft Shielded
Product Features
Shielded RJ45 Connectors
Color- Black
Length: 80FT
Can be buried underground or used outdoors
Waterproof (Outdoor Rated)
Technical Details
Model: dbcat5e80ft

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 10:55:45 PM »
Just out of curiosity, Do you have your camera streaming to the Wunderground or any other programs? I've got one of those C160A cams too and I can't get it to communicate with the Weather Program's web cam features. As for the camera, it would probably be easier to aim the camera out the window. That's how I have mine set up. I don't really like using indoor items outdoors. But if you have the thing shooting out the window it should be just as good.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 07:34:38 PM »
I looked up your cable and it has the RJ45 ends already on it. If your camera or switch/router accommodates the ground connection in the shielded RJ45, then it would be grounded there. Otherwise, I would not try to attach a separate ground to this cable.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Cynjut

• Bellevue, NE local weather
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 08:36:24 PM »
If you do ground the cable, only ground it at one end.  Grounding both ends can yield bizarre things happening, especially during electrical disturbances.

Even if you don't ground the cable, grounding the camera housing might also cause strange things to happen.  In general, unless there's a chance the device could cause a lightning strike, I'd just let everything float.

Offline upob

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 11:02:09 PM »
Hi mcktxaws,

I have not set up yet with weather display...I will be bummed if it does not work as I bought it with the intention of using it with wd.   Also when I called panasonic they said it definitely is an outdoor camera...

I am waiting for my cable to arrive..once I do I will let you know if I have success

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 12:07:06 AM »
Hi mcktxaws,

I have not set up yet with weather display...I will be bummed if it does not work as I bought it with the intention of using it with wd.   Also when I called panasonic they said it definitely is an outdoor camera...

I am waiting for my cable to arrive..once I do I will let you know if I have success
Hope you get it figured out. The Logitech software supplied with the camera is useless. Also I click on that setup/view dierct live web cam capture and it does nothing. I've also heard about a program called TimCam. But it's not free. I think it's like 20$. Not a big price but the same the C160a was in the first place. Anyway hope you get your's figured out.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 08:54:12 AM by mckTXaws »
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline upob

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 11:59:53 PM »
Had an electrician out and he said no worries.  My camera is all plastic parts.  The outdoor ehthernet cable is also not an issue as he said it is grounded via my cable and electrical systems.  Next step tomorrow is to finally order my weather system !   \:D/