Author Topic: What would be the Best FREE weather software?  (Read 48186 times)

Offline jo3y

What would be the Best FREE weather software?
« on: November 22, 2009, 05:51:20 PM »
Hi I have just set up my La crosse WS-2350 complete weather station and i installed the Heavy Weather software and frankly it isn't that good. I've seen that the 'Weather Display' software looks very good but i don't really want to spend any money on it.

Basically i would like the best free weather software for my weather station for which i can upload the live data to my weather website.

Thanks in advance :)

Offline kanewolf

• Weather at Chez Baron
Re: What would be the Best FREE weather software?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 07:11:59 PM »
Depending on how "live" you want the data I can recommend http://www.wviewweather.com/.  It DOES NOT do rapid fire type uploads.  I have run it for almost two years.  It is targeted to Linux environments.

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 07:22:38 PM »
I think Cumulus weather software should work on your system. It don't cost nothing but if you like it you should donate something as it is good weather software. Link below take a look.

http://sandaysoft.com/
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline ironton

• Contributor
    • Irontonwebcams /Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 07:26:51 PM »
I would also cast my vote for Cumulus. 

You can download a fully functional version with no nags or time limit.  As stated by mmorris, the developer does ask for a donation. I found it to be easy to set up.
My charlevoixweather.com site uses it with some changes to the standard templates - if you want to check.  A version 2 is in alpha testing.
-ed/ironton

Davis VP2 using VWS
-----
http://www.charlevoixweather.com using Cumulus

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 07:40:48 PM »
Hi I have just set up my La crosse WS-2350 complete weather station and i installed the Heavy Weather software and frankly it isn't that good. I've seen that the 'Weather Display' software looks very good but i don't really want to spend any money on it.

Basically i would like the best free weather software for my weather station for which i can upload the live data to my weather website.

Thanks in advance :)

You could consider WUHU  or Cumulus.  Both are free and have support forums.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline msdawg911

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 12:34:20 PM »
I throw my vote in for WUHU also. I used it before I used WD and was very pleased with the functionality of the software. It's really come a long way since it first started.
Jake Hughes
Mississippi State University
Professional Meteorology Student

GR2Analyst, WXSIM
Former user of: Weather-Display, WS2310, 1-wire station, WUHU, CoCoRaHS, Saratoga-Weather's and Carter Lake's numerous PHP/AJAX scripts

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 06:49:47 PM »
Cumulus is NOT free. If you want to pay nothing, you should get something worth nothing! Cumulus is a very fine piece of software that is classified as Donationware. That means, pay what its worth, and Cumulus is worth a lot! Try Virtual Weather Station FREE for a month, then try Weather Display FREE for a month, then try Cumulus FREE for a month, then pay VWS $100 or pay WD $100, or pay Cumulus what you think its worth relative to VWS or WD.

"What would be the Best FREE weather software?" A package you write yourself!

Just my opinion

George

Offline CookevilleWeatherGuy

• Contributor
  • Weather Isn't Climate
    • Cookeville Weather Guy
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 08:33:47 PM »
I vote WUHU as well...as a nearly 4 year user of it, been very happy..runs quietly and efficiently!
Visit my WEATHER Page:
Cookeville Weather Guy

Davis Vantage Vue
VWS 14.01 p46
WU: KTNCOOKE10
SkyWarn Trained Storm Spotter
CoCoRaHS County Coordinator

Offline ironton

• Contributor
    • Irontonwebcams /Weather
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 08:39:16 PM »
Cumulus is NOT free. If you want to pay nothing, you should get something worth nothing! Cumulus is a very fine piece of software that is classified as Donationware. That means, pay what its worth, and Cumulus is worth a lot! Try Virtual Weather Station FREE for a month, then try Weather Display FREE for a month, then try Cumulus FREE for a month, then pay VWS $100 or pay WD $100, or pay Cumulus what you think its worth relative to VWS or WD.

"What would be the Best FREE weather software?" A package you write yourself!

Just my opinion

George

You are right, George, my error.  I paid for Cumulus after a few trial weeks and feel it is well worth a donation.
-ed

Davis VP2 using VWS
-----
http://www.charlevoixweather.com using Cumulus

Offline Chris B

• Baragwanath History In South Africa - Live Local Weather
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 03:36:48 PM »
WUHU by far ! Been using it for two years now problem free. Cumulus carries the caveat:

"Warning: If your weather station is a La Crosse and it is connected using a serial/USB adapter, then you will probably have problems using it with Cumulus, in that you will get erroneous data from time to time – this is a common problem with these stations when used in this way. There doesn’t seem to be anything I can do about this. For this reason, I am sorry to say that I cannot support the use of Cumulus in this way. Note that even if you are using a direct serial connection, I don’t actually own a La Crosse weather station, and there is no official documentation available for the protocol, so I am only able to give limited support for these stations, and if you have any problems it is unlikely that I will be able to anything about it".

Offline Axelvold

• Forecaster
    • Axelvold's weather and photo
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 05:12:29 PM »
I put my vote for WUHU, I use it to get data to both WD and VWS.
Lars Magnusson
Axelvold / Sweden
55° 57' 41" N / 13° 6' 1" E
WX Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus

anything