Author Topic: WS2317 data problem  (Read 6522 times)

Offline John Sankowski

WS2317 data problem
« on: April 26, 2011, 04:37:08 AM »
When I turn my computer on I will receive data for a few minutes and then I lose all outdoor data. However, when I check history, I find that it will populate data for the period that the computer was shut off. I've reloaded the beta 2.0 software to no avail. I originally thought it might be the thermo sensor but if it records data with the computer off, that seems unlikely. I have the software on an XP machine (don't know if it will work on Win 7) and was wondering if maybe an adobe or some other update may be affecting the program?

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: WS2317 data problem
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 05:46:19 AM »
Have you tried running the station in both wired and wireless configurations? Possibly a grounding issue.

Offline John Sankowski

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 03:31:54 AM »
I'm running wireless with new batteries and have history to record data every 15 minutes. The display on the computer will show all dashes for all outside data, I will turn off the computer to find that the next time I turn it on and load heavy weather I find that the history shows that within 30 minutes after turning off the computer it will start recording data.
It almost makes you think that when I turn on the computer and load heavy weather that some program is interfering with the program because minutes later the outdoor data disappears.
Exiting heavy weather and reloading it later with the computer running doesn't bring the outdoor data back. I'm at a loss.

Offline John Sankowski

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 03:37:45 AM »
I forgot to mention that the HF Reception light comes on regularly but still no data.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 04:28:29 AM »
Attempting to narrow down possibilities, with the p.c. on and Heavyweather not running, does the ws2317 console still show outside data? The data drops only after Heavyweather is brought up and drops on both the p.c. and the console?

Offline John Sankowski

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 03:41:02 AM »
This isn't logical, but, yes both the base station and the pc lose data at the same time. However, when this happened I unplugged the cable from the base station to the pc and the data immediately reappeared on the base station. I plugged it back in and re-tightened the serial connector on the pc and now, in a 24 hour period I might lose data on one of the 15 minute periods.
I don't understand how a bad connection (which would produce an open circuit) would affect the base station from receiving data. I could envision a short circuit possibly affecting the base station but that seems unlikely. The thermo sensor is obviously doing it's job.
Think I should order a new cable from pc to base station?

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 04:30:16 AM »
I wouldn't blame the cable (just yet anyway) as it does pass data correctly sometimes. If you haven't already, check on the p.c. that all com1 port settings are default, 9600 baud, data bits 8, stop bits 1, parity none, flow control none. If HW pro has com port settings check them to make sure they match the p.c.'s settings. Also make absolutely sure the p.c. has a good earth ground. A three prong AC power plug plugged into a three hole receptacle doesn't always guarantee that you're grounded. A floating p.c. ground can cause all kinds of strange weather station readings. If you have more than one serial port you could also try changing ports.

Also, on my ws-2310, if the console is reset or turned off and back on while connected to the p.c. I have comm problems with the P.C  I have to be sure the console is completely up and reading sensors before connecting to the p.c.
I also noted that if the clock times on the p.c. and weather station console don't match or drift from each other then you can get those occasional data misses you mentioned in your last post.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 04:57:20 AM by DanS »

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 06:08:58 PM »

It sounds like a grounding issue. Make sure that the console and the PC are connect to the same output / power strip.

To verify a grounding issue, run the console on batteries by disconnecting the power pack connected to the console.

Offline John Sankowski

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 03:28:25 PM »
To Dans: Checked the port settings they were as you said they should be. However, both you and wuhu_software are probably right on the grounding issue. I'm at this moment studying to take the electrical test in my town to be able to upgrade my service to 100 amps. Note, however, that the existing service is wired with two wire BX cable meaning that there is no ground in any of the receptacles at this time.
I may be just lucky but I've no data loss in the last 48 hours.
Thanks for the help and once I rewire the house and all receptacles, etc. are properly grounded the problem the problem should be corrected.
I only have weekends to accomplish the job so it will be a while before it's done. Again, thanks for the help.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 07:31:53 PM »
John, In the mean time, if you can reach outside the house nearby your p.c., you can set a grounding rod in the ground and run a heavy wire through the wall somewhere and attach it to the p.c. The house I live in is over 35 years old with no grounded receptacles and I had to do this to "calm" my station readings down. I measured 90 volts ac on my p.c. chassis before it was grounded.

Offline John Sankowski

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 05:56:29 AM »
Wish I had a 35 year old house in Thailand, but more to the point, will be starting work this weekend on re-wiring the house. I'll try to make my office the first room, since this is where my computers are, so the grounding problem should be taken care of shortly. Thanks.