Author Topic: Boltek noise  (Read 10922 times)

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
Boltek noise
« on: June 14, 2008, 01:29:03 PM »
I've read the other posts on noise here, but mine, I think, is a bit different. We're talking a Boltek PCI with 100' of cable.

With a lot of patience I've isolated it to every time the A/C starts up I get a single noise hit. Just got finished rerouting the cable in the attic to get it as far away as possible from all AC lines and the A/C unit on the roof. Installed a ferrite choke at each end of the cable. Squelch is 10 and sensitivity High. Connections are good at both ends. Regardless, the instant the A/C starts I get a single noise hit - every time. Given our current temperatures out here that's going to add up. I realize I'm nowhere near the 2200 or so mentioned in another post, but still it's not right.

My WX site has been up for over 2 years, but the lightning end is only 2 weeks old, so please forgive if this is a known issue. Is one noise hit per A/C startup something I shouldn't even be worried about?

Thoughts appreciated.
John
W7JKG

Offline xmas1313

• McKinleyville Weather Observatory
Re: Boltek noise
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 05:02:44 PM »
I don't think that one noise per AC start-up is that significant.  In your case, I would definitely choose AC over noise-reduction!  :grin:  I know others, including myself, have run into more persistent noise that can pose a problem. 

Are you using NexStorm?  If you are, I believe the only thing that would be affected is the noise assisted ranging, and I don't think that one noise would throw it off that much.   Also, have you tried "Discard Artificial Noise" feature?  It hasn't worked for my stovetop noise, but several others have reported improvements.  I would turn the squelch back down and not worry too much about it.

Scott
arlingtonweather.net

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 08:57:22 PM »
Thanks, Scott.

Yes, I'm running NexStorm. Since posting that I caught some posts on another forum and have turned the squelch down to 1, leaving sensitivity at High. They seemed pretty adamant that anything over 4 would mess up the readings.

As for A/C over AC noise - oh, yeah. We hit 108 today, it's still 106 right now, and tomorrow is supposed to be hotter.
John
W7JKG

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 08:18:10 AM »
I've always had a hi daily noise count. And we don't have AC. My count so far today is 69. My data is posted to my web site and is updated aprox every 5 minutes. We a storm comes thru with lots of lightning. I'll get a niose hit for almost every lightning hit. I've heard that this is normal. So my advice is. Don't wory about the noise. Just worry that the antenna is oriented correctly and that it is detecting the lightning. And is displaying it correctly on the map.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 11:42:13 AM »
Right now, and actually for some time, it's clear and cloud-free even farther than the eye can see. Makes it a bit tough to know if all is well! I did pick up a few strikes from a storm in Mexico the other day that seemed to agree with the location mentioned by a report on a local TV station, so I've got my fingers crossed.

Seems to be one of the things that happens when you get old - you find too many things to worry about.

Oh, BTW - W7JKG.

Thanks, Anthony.
John
W7JKG

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 08:02:01 AM »
We have a cluster of storms to our NE and a few to our NW. My noise count as of this post is 1900+. The strike count is 490+. I readjusted my squelch and sensitivity yeaterday to match yours. If any thing it made mine worse.My antenna is currently mounted in the corner of my livingroom about 10' from the computer(s). To get mine in the atic would be a pain.

Has anyone built an outdoor enclosure for their antenna? My antenna is the black box thats anout 3x2x2. I've heard you can use PVC drain pipe, 3 or 4 inch with a cap on top and a ruducer on the bottom so you can attach it to a smaller piece of pipe. My concern it to much heat would build up in the enclosure and damage the antenna? What about condensation?

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 08:42:00 AM »
Wow. With your 1900+ I'm definitely not going to worry about my little problem any more.

However, I'd be willing to bet the antenna proximity to your computer is the problem. Before I mounted mine on the roof it was about the same distance from my computers. While not 1900, my noise count was pretty bad.

I built my own enclosure (20 bucks for parts vs. 99 for Boltek's, plus shipping, is a big difference). The guys at the plumbing store said PVC would not last more than 2 years with our heat and sun exposure, so they suggested ABS. Just a short piece of 3" for the antenna, some nylon nuts and bolts, a cap, and an adapter for the bottom to take the 3" down to 1 1/2" for the mounting pole (probably could have used a 1" pole, but what the heck). I'm hoping the open mounting pole will serve as a vent to cut down on any possible condensation (although I'm pretty sure the antenna unit is well encapsulated). The ABS is black, but I'm going to paint it white to hopefully help a bit with heat reflection (we're looking at 114 today, hotter tomorrow). Got a tripod mount from Radio Shack to put it on the roof. That was the easy part. Running the cable through the attic was the bear. Sure wish they had a wireless unit, but I'm guessing that would mess up the antenna.
John
W7JKG

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 02:41:39 PM »
Anthony,

By all means, make a simple enclosure out of PVC (or like material) and mount your antenna outside. Not to worry about heat. It doesn't get hot enough to do any damage.

There are several different posts on different forums about making these. Very simple to do.
You can find pictures of mine on my web site.

Bob

On edit: Yeah, just lookd at you Nexstorm screenshot. Way too many noises. Getting the antenna mounted up and outside should help this quite a bit.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 02:44:50 PM by racenet »
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

jwyman

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 02:45:20 PM »
I have mine right at the peak in the attic, away from everything else on the second floor..... I get some noise when lightning is happening, but I think this is the software getting confused with so many strikes.....
Yes, getting the cable from the first floor to the attic was the worst part....
 ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Jim

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 03:30:07 PM »
Quote from: jwyman
Yes, getting the cable from the first floor to the attic was the worst part....
In my case I wasn't able to get through the inside wall and up to the attic (long story), so I just went through the outside wall, up to attic level, and back in. That protects most of the cable from the sun. Unfortunately I still had to run the length of the house to get to the antenna. Royal pain...
John
W7JKG

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 03:58:38 PM »

Has anyone built an outdoor enclosure for their antenna? My antenna is the black box thats anout 3x2x2. I've heard you can use PVC drain pipe, 3 or 4 inch with a cap on top and a ruducer on the bottom so you can attach it to a smaller piece of pipe. My concern it to much heat would build up in the enclosure and damage the antenna? What about condensation?

Boltek has a raft of customer mount pictures here. A lot of good ideas. Leave the bottom open and condensation won't be a problem. The antenna is an active device and runs warm. A lot of people create moisture problems by trying to keep it out of stuff.

Here's my first ABS enclosure:

The bracket I made for mounting the antenna to the cap.

Rev 2 of my current enclosure style, from the Wxforum Boltek thread HERE.

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 08:14:21 AM »
Thanks for all the wonderful ideas. Since I don't do roofs. If I were to mount it to the edge of the gutter. How high should I extend it, 2'?

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 11:01:45 AM »
Thanks for all the wonderful ideas. Since I don't do roofs. If I were to mount it to the edge of the gutter. How high should I extend it, 2'?

I'd keep it as far away as possible from any gutter, if it's metal. That includes any metal like siding, large nails, insulation backing, wire backing on stucko (you get the idea).

Bob

www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 11:11:11 AM »

Mine is on the gable end over an aluminum shingle roof, and I went up 4 feet.

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 08:09:57 AM »
Well if your up 4' over aluminum shingles, 2' or 3' above a gutter should be fine.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

anything