Author Topic: I just started having VWS crashes this week  (Read 2207 times)

Offline tkrotchko

• Tom's Weather
I just started having VWS crashes this week
« on: October 01, 2016, 05:10:15 AM »
It's been years since I've logged on here because everything has worked fine but this week, VWS has just started crashed every day with this error:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

(what it says is The instruction at 0x0000000003F32622 referenced memory at 0x0000000003F7BFF6.  The memory could not be read).

Basically an application crash.    This is version 15 p03 for a Davis Instruments weather station on a dedicated Windows 10 laptop.   I don't know if it's a coincidence that the Anniversary Edition of Windows 10 was released or not.

It's also not clear if VWS is even supported anymore.

Ideas or thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 06:20:54 AM by tkrotchko »

Offline Impala88

• Senior Contributor
    • IrvineWx
Re: I just started having VWS crashes this week
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 10:33:19 AM »
I've had a few problems with other programs suddenly having problems with the latest Windows 10 update on a couple of my computers so I wouldn't be surprised that is what is causing your issue.  I have kept my dedicated weather station computer on Windows 7 just for that reason.   It's been stable for a few years and I felt that "if it works, don't fix it!".

What I implicitly dislike about Windows 10 is that the average user cannot shut off the automatic updates.  After all, Microsoft knows what's best, right?  There is a way, however.  :lol:

Offline tkrotchko

• Tom's Weather
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 02:21:51 PM »
I've had a few problems with other programs suddenly having problems with the latest Windows 10 update on a couple of my computers so I wouldn't be surprised that is what is causing your issue.  I have kept my dedicated weather station computer on Windows 7 just for that reason.   It's been stable for a few years and I felt that "if it works, don't fix it!".

What I implicitly dislike about Windows 10 is that the average user cannot shut off the automatic updates.  After all, Microsoft knows what's best, right?  There is a way, however.  :lol:

I've downloaded the beta (p05) and installed that.  We'll see if that helps.

Offline tkrotchko

• Tom's Weather
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 06:19:21 AM »
Unfortunately the beta version makes it different, but not better:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Which is an illegal instructions error.   No great options are available now.   I'll see if it persists.

It happens at midnight in both cases (I mistakenly thought it was when it rebooted). So whatever the program does at midnight to roll over another day.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 04:38:49 PM by tkrotchko »

Offline toolworker

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 05:50:14 PM »
In the last month I've started seeing the "instruction referenced memory" crash every few days, with a different address.

Anyone got any more information or a workaround?

Offline tkrotchko

• Tom's Weather
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 05:55:26 PM »
In the last month I've started seeing the "instruction referenced memory" crash every few days, with a different address.

No.   I have it reboot just after midnight, which forces everything to restart.  It's an old laptop that does the logging, but I've replaced the hard drive with an SSD, so the reboot takes less than 60 seconds.

Offline toolworker

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 11:54:42 PM »

No.   I have it reboot just after midnight, which forces everything to restart.  It's an old laptop that does the logging, but I've replaced the hard drive with an SSD, so the reboot takes less than 60 seconds.

How do you schedule the reboot?  I reboot daily anyway because the RS-232 to USB adapter on my old serial Davis Weatherlink keeps hanging.  But I do that inside VWS so it doesn't work when VWS is crashed.

Offline tkrotchko

• Tom's Weather
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 08:15:11 AM »
I use the scheduling service built into windows 10. 

Try looking at this article, there are many more you can use:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/schedule-shutdown-restarts-windows-7-task-schedular

Offline toolworker

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 09:30:30 PM »
This probably doesn't have anything to do with your crash, but thought I'd report it.

I was getting a similar "instruction referenced memory" crash every few days, and also a "could not communicate with port" error.  It would work for a while and then get one error or the other

My original Vantage Pro Weatherlink connects through a serial to USB converter with the FTDI chipset.  I have another USB device that's self-contained but appears as a serial port with the same FTDI driver.

I noticed that both drivers were set to 9600 baud.  I knew the Vantage Pro was at 19,200.

Well, I set the Vantage Pro to 9600 and haven't seen either error in three days.  Wonder if the two devices were confusing the driver.

Hope this doesn't jinx it. :)

anything