Author Topic: LaCrosse WS2810 and Davis VP2  (Read 4145 times)

Offline Duck Fan

• UPS Driver, Tool Sharpener, Rock Drummer
LaCrosse WS2810 and Davis VP2
« on: February 06, 2012, 01:12:08 AM »
First is my LaCrosse ws2810 that I got for Christmas in 2009. I had trouble with the anemometer (leaking) and sent it back to LaCrosse and they replaced it. Then the rain sensor was recording double rain amounts so I did the DanS mod and fixed that problem (thanks Dan!) The anemometer is 27'. Second is my Davis VP2 that I just picked up this weekend. I bought it used for $200.00 and its working very well.

Nick
Nick

Davis Vantage Pro2  LaCrosse WS2812 Modified   
WU: KORSCIO3  PWS: SCIOWX21

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
Re: LaCrosse WS2810 and Davis VP2
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 01:14:28 AM »
Looks great. Everything is well sited.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 01:49:11 AM »
You're welcome Nick, glad it worked.  I only have one recommendation and that would be to replace the stock 'weather shield' that came with your 2810. Those shields aren't designed to protect the thermo/hygro sensor out in the open like that. I believe the manual even mentions 'best under an overhang or eave' and they are 'water-resistant not water-proof'. You should either buy one, an example would be Ambient's    http://www.ambientweather.com/amwesrpatean.html  or make your own as many members on here have and would be glad to answer any questions. http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=6486.0

You got a steal on the Davis ! Nice find BTW.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 05:06:59 AM by DanS »

Offline Duck Fan

• UPS Driver, Tool Sharpener, Rock Drummer
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 10:19:21 AM »
Ok Cool, another project! I would enjoy making a better shield for the location of the thermo sensor. Your upgrade looks good, is it necessary to run a fan? Don't mind putting a fan just not sure exactly what to do or how to build.
Nick

Davis Vantage Pro2  LaCrosse WS2812 Modified   
WU: KORSCIO3  PWS: SCIOWX21

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 07:08:01 PM »
You could build one first without a fan and run for a while to watch temps comparing with your Davis to see if you need one added.  If you construct it so that the sensor is mounted at the bottom and out of any trapped warm air pockets at the top you may be alright. Days when the air is still, clear, and sunny is when a fan may be needed. Like I say you could give it a shot without one first and may find out you're good like that.  :-)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 07:09:43 PM by DanS »

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 05:13:51 PM »
First is my LaCrosse ws2810 that I got for Christmas in 2009. I had trouble with the anemometer (leaking) and sent it back to LaCrosse and they replaced it. Then the rain sensor was recording double rain amounts so I did the DanS mod and fixed that problem (thanks Dan!) The anemometer is 27'. Second is my Davis VP2 that I just picked up this weekend. I bought it used for $200.00 and its working very well.

Nick

Hi Nick... Pardon the interruption, but what is the "Dan S" method to get the rain gauge to register correctly? Mine doubles too and I can not figure it out. Thanks!

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 08:26:52 PM »
blizzard, it's just a tipping bucket mod. http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=6042.msg64249#msg64249

others have decreased the capture area of the funnel as another method.

DanS