Author Topic: Questions, Discussions and Experiences with your Ambient Weather WS-1000-WIFI  (Read 35849 times)

Offline STeelybeast

Re: Questions, Discussions and Experiences with your Ambient Weather WS-1000-WIFI
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2014, 01:10:45 PM »
I had been waiting for over a month, checking the WEB site every couple of days. I was also on the email notification and of course never heard anything.

Then the other week, I decided to just go in and put the kit together out of replacement parts and was able to buy it all for only $23 more. It was worth that to me as was wanting to get it in before colder weather.

Offline Mark55

When I relocated the console about 40 feet from my router I had the same thing start to happen. As soon as I moved the console back to the room with the router in it the problem went away. I submitted the issue to Ambient support and received the following response within a couple of hours;

"We have improved the WiFi chip in the latest model. We are waiting for a final firmware update before we send out the new consoles. To request one, please visit www.AmbientWeather.com/rma.html. Regards, Ed"

I have filled out the RMA and will post an update when I receive the replacement.

Mark

Since replacing the console it has been working perfectly.

Offline bellyflop

Just a bit of 411 for those interested. WS-1000 has been replaced by the WS-1001 unit.

"Note: The WS-1000-WiFi was replaced by the WS-1001-WiFi. The upgrades include inclusion of a UV sensor, heat index, sunrise, sunset, moon phase, and increased memory."

http://www.ambientweather.com/amws1000wifi.html

Wiki link: https://ambientweather.wikispaces.com/ws1001-wifi

Offline STeelybeast

I actually have the WS-1001 with the newest firmware and seems to be working well. I could not get the Wi-Fi to work on the new WS-1000 I bought, and they offered to send me the newest console. I am still playing around with it, and like the improvements over the WS-1000.

I noticed they took down the firmware updates for the WS-1000 too, or I can't find them anymore. Not that I can use them, I was just looking for the latest about the same time they shipped the new console.

Offline bellyflop

I also have the ws 1001 after having difficulties with wifi on the original. The new unit solved that problem and seems to work great except for the sunrise and sunset Times. Probably will be fixed through a software update.

I must say that Ambient has great support. Very prompt and helpful.

Offline GTXJackBauer

Its been a while since I left an update but I did get my WS-1000 RMA'd for the newer WS-1001.  The only thing that I noticed was the decal on it was missing as the original one had.  I am guessing they forgot to add it but oh well.  Just had getting used too.

I did notice the newer features to the unit but not sure if my outdoor unit is calibrated for the UV readings.  I can't recall but I think when I spoke to a CS rep that they told me the outdoor unit wasn't up to par for the newer features the WS-1001 has like the UV reading etc.  No worries there as the original unit wasn't advertised to have it anyways.

I see some features like the sunrise and sunset to be way off.  Each showing a time of around 12:00 which is totally false. lol  My temps might have been a bit off as well but I haven't check it yet till I know an update is around to fix the rest of the stuff before calibration, if it is needed.

Hope everyone is enjoying their WS and hope to have this thing trucking along during winter season.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 01:42:16 AM by GTXJackBauer »

Offline bellyflop

@GTX I was also having problems with sunrise and sunset Times. Easily fixed by entering your coordinates for your location. Just go in to your setup menu to find where to add the coordinates.

Also the WS-1001 manual is now up and downloadable at http://site.ambientweatherstore.com/Manuals/ws1001wifi.pdf

BF

Offline GTXJackBauer

Great!  Thank you for this as it has fixed the sunrise and sunset issues.  After checking neighboring WS, my numbers seem to be up to par or fairly close.  Very cold and windy today I might add.

Is there a wiki site for the WS-1001 for firmware updates like they had for the WS-1000?

Offline bellyflop

Is there a wiki site for the WS-1001 for firmware updates like they had for the WS-1000?

Haven't seen any yet. I was out of town was told that the weather unit went in to a different mode and then restarted. An auto update? Unsure. I have the versions written down now so if it happens again I'll know.

BF

Offline stuff2447

Re: Questions, Discussions and Experiences with your Ambient Weather WS-1000-WIFI
« Reply #109 on: November 06, 2014, 12:14:33 PM »
I too had my WS-1000 console replaced for a WS-1001 console and can also report that the WS-1001 seems to be much more stable concerning wifi connectivity.  It still drops the connections, but not nearly as much as the WS-1000. I seem to lose the connection about once every 10-15 days. 

One thing I did notice, however, that after the time changed last week, the sunrise/sunset times are off by one hour. The time on the console changed automatically, and the option to  update the time for daylight savings is checked.  Does anyone know of a way to correct the sunrise/sunset times?
Scott Tuff
Hollywood, FL

Offline NETO

« Reply #110 on: November 06, 2014, 01:10:31 PM »
Hi
I got the same "error" regarding sunrise/sunset after the changed time ( 1 hour diference ).
I do contact directly Fine OFFSET and they do provide an firmware update to fix it.
I do not know if there is anything more corrected on the firmware update but sunrise/sunset is OK now.
The version of firmware provided is 2.1.6 but do not know if it is available to all sort of weather station types.
I have contacted sales at fosk
Hoppe you can find a fix too.
Regards
JMCN

Offline JohnN

• Forecaster
    • Monmouth County Weather
« Reply #111 on: November 17, 2014, 01:46:37 PM »
My rain gauge stopped reporting, so I brought my ISS inside today to try to clean it out. I tried to open it up, but I ran into a problem with the screws. They use cheap Chinese junk for screws, and must have used Bigfoot to tighten them, because I actually ruined one of my screwdrivers trying to get them out. Since these are cheap screws, none of my phillips screwdrivers fit, so I had to use a flat head one. I was able to get 4 of 6 screws out, but the 5th one started stripping, and I wasn't willing to ruin my screwdriver more than it already was. Guess I'll have to hope that running water through the rain gauge was enough to fix it, or I just will have to accept that it won't measure rain anymore.
www.monmouthcountyweather.comUK Met Office: 45560463
Twitter: @John_N_WxCoCoRaHS: NJ-MN-64
CWOP: E1682Davis Vantage Vue, Pro2Plus w/24 hr FARS, Ambient Weather WS-1000
PWS/WFY: SOUTHARDNJCumulusMX
Wunderground: KNJHOWEL11
                       KNJHOWEL15
LiveATC: KWRI/KNEL/New York Center
             KMJX/KBLM/3N6/N12

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #112 on: November 17, 2014, 03:37:24 PM »
So in other words, the manufacturer doesn't want the consumer opening up the unit...

Offline JohnN

• Forecaster
« Reply #113 on: November 17, 2014, 03:39:35 PM »
So in other words, the manufacturer doesn't want the consumer opening up the unit...
But, the instruction manual specifically recommends opening up the unit if the rain gauge stops reporting. It has to be opened once in a while to clean out dirt, spiders, bugs, etc.
                       KNJHOWEL15
             KMJX/KBLM/3N6/N12

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2014, 03:49:49 PM »
But, the instruction manual specifically recommends opening up the unit if the rain gauge stops reporting. It has to be opened once in a while to clean out dirt, spiders, bugs, etc.

I would contact them and see if they will make this right.

Offline JohnN

• Forecaster
« Reply #115 on: November 17, 2014, 03:54:04 PM »
I got this as a test unit, so it is not that big of a deal, but I may contact them so they can fix this for future units. I wonder if just my unit has this issue?
                       KNJHOWEL15
             KMJX/KBLM/3N6/N12

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #116 on: November 17, 2014, 07:39:24 PM »
I also have a test unit, but I had no trouble opening it up to clear a web on the rain bucket.

Offline GTXJackBauer

« Reply #117 on: December 02, 2014, 12:38:55 AM »
I too had my WS-1000 console replaced for a WS-1001 console and can also report that the WS-1001 seems to be much more stable concerning wifi connectivity.  It still drops the connections, but not nearly as much as the WS-1000. I seem to lose the connection about once every 10-15 days. 

One thing I did notice, however, that after the time changed last week, the sunrise/sunset times are off by one hour. The time on the console changed automatically, and the option to  update the time for daylight savings is checked.  Does anyone know of a way to correct the sunrise/sunset times?

I also have connectivity issues as well via WIFI.  Not as bad as the WS-1000 but this guy isn't far behind it.  It started happening over a month ago and its slowly progressing.  Its almost to a point within a 2 week period it will happen at least once or say every 5 days.  At the moment, ironically it has stopped connecting.  I get alerts to my e-mail from WU everytime the WS isn't reporting.  There is no signal or anything showing internet to it.  This is troubling because I thought I RMA'd the last unit so this won't happen.  Looks like I might be giving them a call very soon.

As for the Sunset/Sunrise issues, follow this post...

@GTX I was also having problems with sunrise and sunset Times. Easily fixed by entering your coordinates for your location. Just go in to your setup menu to find where to add the coordinates. 

Also the WS-1001 manual is now up and downloadable at http://site.ambientweatherstore.com/Manuals/ws1001wifi.pdf

BF
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 12:41:19 AM by GTXJackBauer »

Offline jspirate

New WS-1001-WIFI with 2 problems
« Reply #118 on: December 28, 2014, 11:06:51 AM »
Hello all.  I just joined the forum here to seek input on two problems I am having:
1.  My wind speed indicator is not working.  It seems to spin freely when the unit is on its side.  I have it mounted on a pole that pivots at the base so that I can lower it for maintenance etc.  When I lower it down and the unit is on its side, the cups seem to work, but when I raise it up into its normal position, the cups do not rotate.  I can take a pole and gently nudge the cups and it will spin around once and then stop.  I lowered it a couple times to see if it is binding and I think its internal to the unit?

2.  I can not hook up the wi-fi.  I see my router with a full signal, but it will not ask me for a password.  Well, it did on 3 occasions, but it never accepted my router's password.  Now, the password screen doesn't even come up.  It just tries to connect and then after 20 seconds or so it reports "not connected."

It seems like everything else is working as it should, but these two items are frustrating me.

I plan to call ambient weather tomorrow when tech support is open, but thought I would try here today.

The unit is brand new and I just put it up 2 days ago.

Thanks for any input that you can provide.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 11:11:02 AM by jspirate »

Offline JohnN

• Forecaster
« Reply #119 on: December 28, 2014, 11:40:35 AM »
Those are some odd problems you are having. I think calling Ambient and having a replacement until sent out would probably be your best option. I originally had a WS-1080, and when I had issues with it they were very helpful.
                       KNJHOWEL15
             KMJX/KBLM/3N6/N12

Offline jspirate

« Reply #120 on: December 28, 2014, 12:52:53 PM »
Those are some odd problems you are having. I think calling Ambient and having a replacement until sent out would probably be your best option. I originally had a WS-1080, and when I had issues with it they were very helpful.

Thanks for the response John. I am going to call them in the morning.

Offline GTXJackBauer

« Reply #121 on: February 14, 2015, 03:21:57 AM »
Anyone know where I can grab an extra AC Adapter for the WS-1001?  I'm not too electrical savy and was hoping someone with some experience in this can steer me in the right direction.  I'm worried if I buy the wrong one that I could damage the unit.

-Thanks

Offline stuff2447

« Reply #122 on: February 14, 2015, 12:06:33 PM »
I picked up an extra AC adapter at Radio Shack.  Make sure it's 5v, and position the tip for positive polarity. Make sure you get the right size tip. I brought my unit it and they helped me pick out the correct one.  Better hurry though....Radio Shack's days are numbered.
Scott Tuff
Hollywood, FL

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #123 on: February 14, 2015, 12:27:01 PM »
I picked up an extra AC adapter at Radio Shack.  Make sure it's 5v, and position the tip for positive polarity. Make sure you get the right size tip. I brought my unit it and they helped me pick out the correct one.  Better hurry though....Radio Shack's days are numbered.

A guy at work told me that everything at Radio Shack is 50% off now because they're going out of business.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline GTXJackBauer

« Reply #124 on: February 15, 2015, 10:06:36 AM »

Think you can give me a name and model number to that adapter?  Would really appreciate it.