Author Topic: Vue and Vantage Pro2  (Read 5646 times)

Offline ACWxRADAR

Re: Vue and Vantage Pro2
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2015, 09:06:14 PM »
To me stock means "comes with it". These are NOT included with a basic VP2, they are add on OPTIONS.

Aha!

I stand corrected on this issue.  I did state that I believed that they were stock, but I was not certain.  Now I know for certain, thank you for the correction.

RADAR

Offline rwilhour

• Scaled Instruments
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2015, 10:22:35 PM »
From a practical standpoint, the pro2 ISS is a lot easier to fix when things go wrong and lets face it anything that sits outside in the harsh elements is eventually going to fail.  The newest version of the Vue ISS has all its internals hard wired.  If anything electrically fails then you basically need a new sensor suite.  Many of us long time pro2 users have our original sensor suite because when something in it fails, you replace that part and not the whole sensor suite.  Electrically and mechanically, everything is modular.  In the long run the pro2 is probably the better "bang for your buck".  My 6153 has been in operation for over 8 years with some minor refurbishment here and there.  With regard to the consoles, the pro2 and vue console will last forever.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2015, 10:32:14 PM »
Great points Ryan!  We often forget about repair. Until something breaks.  :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2015, 11:40:22 PM »
From a practical standpoint, the pro2 ISS is a lot easier to fix when things go wrong and lets face it anything that sits outside in the harsh elements is eventually going to fail.  The newest version of the Vue ISS has all its internals hard wired.  If anything electrically fails then you basically need a new sensor suite.  Many of us long time pro2 users have our original sensor suite because when something in it fails, you replace that part and not the whole sensor suite.  Electrically and mechanically, everything is modular.  In the long run the pro2 is probably the better "bang for your buck".  My 6153 has been in operation for over 8 years with some minor refurbishment here and there.  With regard to the consoles, the pro2 and vue console will last forever.
Curious, are you still running your original SHT11, and how is your fan history?

Offline rwilhour

• Scaled Instruments
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2015, 07:45:25 AM »
Curious, are you still running your original SHT11, and how is your fan history?

My original SHT11 is still working.  :-P  I am on my 3rd fan, 2nd supercap, 2nd 7345.114 solar panel (mine still worked but the resin became cracked and cloudy).  As of the last few days my original anemometer is no longer registering wind speed.  I think my reed switch is shot, so now I have a weekend project.  Sure I could replace the reed switch, but its time to retire the anemometer and replace it with the newer version with the hall effect sensor.

My 6153 is mounted on a 20' tower and has survived the tower being knocked to the ground TWICE from my wife's fine driving skills  :roll: It is a miracle that it still works, fortunately the ISS was mounted on the opposite side of the fall both times.  I finally wised up and relocated my tower FAR FAR away from my wife's murderous driving path.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2015, 07:51:06 AM »
Randy,

This is "partially true".

The Vue is not compatible with solar UV and leaf wetness, same with the Vue console.  The Vue ISS once again is integrated into single unit all-in-one. Totally different ISS from the VP2 ISS and does not support additional sensors.
Now you can use a Vue console for VP2 ISS but it won't see any extra sensors other than the wireless anemometer.

VUE ISS does not support solar/UV, true. The leaf wetness function is in a separate unique station type that has inputs for the leaf sensors, temperature probes and the Watermark soil moisture probes. It is also true that the VUE console doesn't support any readout of leaf moisture (or soil sensors).

However, the "ET" function on the VUE console does allow for viewing of Solar and UV data from a VP2+ ISS so equipped. Solar or UV can be viewed in the WxCen data area, one at a time. It is kind of a buried function, but it is there. I have viewed my Solar and UV sensors on the VUE consoles.

I thought that this should be clarified.

Greg H.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 07:52:46 AM by miraculon »

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2015, 10:03:07 AM »
Randy,

This is "partially true".

However, the "ET" function on the VUE console does allow for viewing of Solar and UV data from a VP2+ ISS so equipped. Solar or UV can be viewed in the WxCen data area, one at a time. It is kind of a buried function, but it is there. I have viewed my Solar and UV sensors on the VUE consoles.

I thought that this should be clarified.

Greg H.
Thanks for the info. not familiar with the WxCen data area but haven't dug into the Vue console. I only have it for 'altimeter'  pressure. I can't think of many instances this would be used because the VP2 plus comes with its own VP2 console where its readily available but still good to know.
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2015, 01:16:58 PM »

My original SHT11 is still working.  :-P  I am on my 3rd fan, 2nd supercap, 2nd 7345.114 solar panel (mine still worked but the resin became cracked and cloudy).  As of the last few days my original anemometer is no longer registering wind speed.  I think my reed switch is shot, so now I have a weekend project.  Sure I could replace the reed switch, but its time to retire the anemometer and replace it with the newer version with the hall effect sensor.

My 6153 is mounted on a 20' tower and has survived the tower being knocked to the ground TWICE from my wife's fine driving skills  :roll: It is a miracle that it still works, fortunately the ISS was mounted on the opposite side of the fall both times.  I finally wised up and relocated my tower FAR FAR away from my wife's murderous driving path.
Hells bells, I've gone through three fans in a year! (no more) :-)
I think you might be surprised by the difference if you replaced your 11 with a 15, or even a new 11. After seven years I replaced mine due to the anticipated drift and it was indeed noticeable.
If I may, one more piece of advice, take her keys and save the masses......:lol:

Offline Martlet

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2015, 09:24:05 AM »
I have the opportunity to purchase a used Vantage Pro2 through a friend of a friend.  Supposedly it's 1 year old and in perfect condition.  Includes a tripod that I don't really need.   

Decent deal?   Then I'll just need to pick up the WeatherLinkIP.
Sky2
Storm

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2015, 09:42:33 AM »
"I have the opportunity to purchase a used Vantage Pro2 through a friend of a friend.  Supposedly it's 1 year old and in perfect condition.  Includes a tripod that I don't really need."

Cost?

Offline Martlet

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2015, 09:52:12 AM »
"I have the opportunity to purchase a used Vantage Pro2 through a friend of a friend.  Supposedly it's 1 year old and in perfect condition.  Includes a tripod that I don't really need."

Cost?

Oops.  Sorry.  $300
Sky2
Storm

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2015, 10:10:15 AM »
Sounds like am OK deal.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2015, 10:43:05 AM »
If its an ISS, Anemometer, and console "in perfect condition", It is a good deal at $300.

Offline Martlet

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2015, 10:49:24 AM »
If its an ISS, Anemometer, and console "in perfect condition", It is a good deal at $300.

I'll find out this week, I guess.  That's how it was described to me.  Been outside for 1 year, perfect condition, includes tripod.
Sky2
Storm

Offline ACWxRADAR

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2015, 08:46:41 AM »
Martlet,

From what others have stated, the VP2 is easily repairable (modular components which are easily swapped out) so even if there is anything wrong, you are ahead of the game in comparison to a Vantage Vue. 

The tripod will come in very handy, for testing and even for other uses and opportunities, so don't discount the value of that.

RADAR

Offline larry2661

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2015, 03:08:44 PM »
How can I tell how much it rained yesterday with the Vue?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2015, 05:31:33 PM »

Use the RAIN LAST n DAYS function in WxCen for preciptation.  Page 24 of http://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/weather/manuals/07395-261_IM_06351.pdf  You might find some more great tips in that manual.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2015, 05:36:55 PM »

Do you have a logger attached to the Vue?  Are you running any weather software?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2015, 06:36:48 PM »

Do you have a logger attached to the Vue?  Are you running any weather software?
Logger and software not needed to view historical data.  WxCen (Vue Weather Center) stores up to the last 26 days.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2015, 08:22:35 PM »
Logger and software not needed to view historical data.  WxCen (Vue Weather Center) stores up to the last 26 days.

Yes, of course.  Now, how to "tell how much it rained yesterday"?

[Display two days, then manually subtract today's rain]....

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2015, 09:51:24 PM »

Yes, of course.  Now, how to "tell how much it rained yesterday"?

[Display two days, then manually subtract today's rain]....
If it's the same as the VP2 console, select HI/LOW, then push the LEFT arrow to see each of the last 24 days worth of "highs", including daily rain. I feel like I'm getting punk'd for writing this.... :???:

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2015, 11:42:33 PM »
.... I feel like I'm getting punk'd for writing this.... :???:

Sorry.  I asked what I thought was a logical question about available hardware, and things seemed to have gone downhill from there.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2015, 12:41:25 AM »
.... I feel like I'm getting punk'd for writing this.... :???:

Sorry.  I asked what I thought was a logical question about available hardware, and things seemed to have gone downhill from there.
All I meant is that it seems to me that such a basic function as this, should be pretty much common knowledge. Before I had WL, this how I always checked past days data. Maybe y'all used software from the get-go, but all I had was my console for the first four years.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
  • Vantage Pro II, tripod mount, 30 feet elevation
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2015, 12:05:01 PM »
My Vue is running with seeming perfection at the beginning of it's 5th year.

I thought I had a problem with it a year ago with a Low Battery indication soon after the station battery was changed.
Mysteriously, the indication went away after a couple of days and never returned.  The Vue works perfectly.

But in the meantime, I ordered a brand new Pro II.  It is still sitting unopened in the box for a year now.
Someday when the Vue goes to Davis for refurb, the Pro II will replace it, but I think I will just keep the Vue console.
It is compact and looks like it will just run basically forever.

Question Vue owners:  How long has your Vue been running great for you?  With no help other than swapping out a station battery?

Offline WXWIZARD

« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2015, 12:38:45 PM »

Question Vue owners:  How long has your Vue been running great for you?  With no help other than swapping out a station battery?

My vue iss was junk,  the console is all that I can say is good about the vue,  I have a few walmart specials running for years compared to the vue that had issues before the year warrenty was up,  sent back,  got fixed or that's what i was told,  then had more issues 4 months later and after their 90 day warrenty for repairs.  I suggest to people to stay away from the vue,  complete garbage.  The iss isn't made for a 4 season climate,  sunny southern cali is about it.

anything