Author Topic: Not receiving data from anemometer  (Read 3042 times)

Offline gilesyw

Not receiving data from anemometer
« on: November 02, 2015, 02:42:11 AM »
I've suddenly stopped receiving data from my Vantage Pro 2 anemometer via the Anemometer Transmitting Kit.

Attached are two photos of the diagnostic screens. I think I understand what each figure refers to but I can't work out from that what's wrong, other than I'm not receiving data...which I knew already!

There is an "L" in the bottom right hand corner most of the time.

I'm receiving data from the ISS without any problems.

Anyone kind enough to help with what is probably blindingly obvious to everyone else?!

EDIT: I've been up a ladder, have undone the wind cups and reattached them to make sure they hadn't just slipped, and I have by-passed the anemometer transmitter kit and plugged it straight into the console. Still nothing is showing. I guess it's dead?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 07:19:40 AM by gilesyw »

Offline gilesyw

Re: Not receiving data from anemometer
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 09:44:02 AM »
I've bought a new one!

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 09:51:56 AM »
And it works now?

Offline gilesyw

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 09:53:35 AM »
Not got that far yet - it's still sitting in a box. Will test it tonight when I get home!

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 10:35:54 AM »
OK, well I hope that it will solve the problem.

Offline gilesyw

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 04:28:26 AM »
Well that didn't work.

I plugged it straight into the ISS before venturing up the ladder but nothing happened. The display shows 0mph and the direction doesn't move.

Might be time for a new station. 

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 07:42:40 AM »
You plugged the anemometer straight into the main ISS? Did you set up the console for not seeing the Anemometer Transmitter Kit when you did this? Remember the console is looking for the wireless anemometer transmitter.
Did you test the wireless anemometer transmitter to make sure its not the issue?

Download the manual for the wireless anemometer transmitter. Here is the test mode procedure.

Test Mode
DIP switch #4 on the SIM (see illustration on page 6) is the TEST DIP switch. Switch it to the ON position using a ball-point pen or paper clip. This puts the transmitter in Test Mode. An LED indicator light, located below the jack to the right of the battery on the SIM, will flash each time the transmitter broadcasts a signal, which should be every 2.5 seconds.
If the LED flashes only once and then remains dark, there is a problem with the anemometer transmitter. See “Contacting Davis Instruments” on page 11.
If the LED flashes repeatedly but your console isn’t picking up a signal anywhere in the room, it could be related to one of the following causes:
1.The DIP switches were not correctly set on the transmitter. Review the procedure on page 4.
2.The ID was not correctly set on the console/receiver. Review the procedure on page 5.
3.Reception is being disrupted by RF (radio frequency) interference. Interference has to be very strong to prevent the console from receiving a signal while in the same room as the anemometer transmitter!
4.There is a problem with the console/receiver. See “Contacting Davis Instruments” on page 11.
Randy

Offline gilesyw

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 10:12:37 AM »
Thanks for that. No, I didn't specifically do anything to stop the console looking for the transmitter kit as I assumed it would simply bypass that if it was plugged into the ISS. I'll have another go following your very helpful advice.

One thing though - my ISS doesn't have a flashing LED. Is this because it's old or am I just blind?!

Offline LarryKing

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 10:37:26 AM »
The SIM transmit light is between the Comm port and the white protective cover.  Its a led so rather doubt that it could be burnt out. Its not very bright and just a quick flash every few seconds.

You might have problems with the dip switch contacts. Flip switch 4 back and forth a few times then leave in the ON position and check the transmit light again. Make sure that dip switch 4 is fully slide to the ON position too.

Offline gilesyw

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 10:41:24 AM »
Yep - can see it now!

Ok, the LED is flashing nicely on the Transmitter Kit but I just can't get the console to pick it up, no matter what station ID I use...and yes, the test switch has been put back to the off position.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 12:17:49 PM »
Follow the trouble shooting steps if its flashing anemometer is working.

If the LED flashes repeatedly but your console isn’t picking up a signal anywhere in the room, it could be related to one of the following causes:
1.The DIP switches were not correctly set on the transmitter. Review the procedure on page 4.
2.The ID was not correctly set on the console/receiver. Review the procedure on page 5.
3.Reception is being disrupted by RF (radio frequency) interference. Interference has to be very strong to prevent the console from receiving a signal while in the same room as the anemometer transmitter!
4.There is a problem with the console/receiver. See “Contacting Davis Instruments” on page 11.
Randy

Offline gilesyw

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 12:29:15 PM »
Thanks - yes, I've followed those other than the last one because my UK supplier is on to it first, but I might email Davis direct too because they won't have gone home yet!

Offline gilesyw

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 02:04:42 PM »
Nope - nothing makes sense. The anemometer works when plugged directly into the ISS (thanks to Valentine Weather), but not when connected to the transmitter kit, which won't communicate with the console (although it does show up on the diagnostic screen).

I'd happily buy another transmitter kit if I thought it would work, but I can't be sure.

Maybe I'll just have to accept compromised wind readings and bring the anemometer back down to the ISS.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 02:10:14 PM »
There'll be a reason. Either the 6332 box is faulty or you have the console Tx settings misconfigured (or conceivably there's another VP2W owner nearby). Just a question of working logically through the  options. Have you looked at the supercap on the 6332 box?
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline gilesyw

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2015, 02:13:29 PM »
Thanks.

Well I'm pretty certain there's no other VP2 owner nearby as I don't really have neighbours and I've tried every possible station ID. Think we can rule that one out.

I've looked at the supercap and all looks fine although it's a bit damp inside. I've brought it in overnight to see if it's any better in the morning, but if it was the supercap wouldn't a fresh battery sort that? Maybe not.

The console is configured correctly, as far as I can tell...and it did work flawlessly for many years.

If it was the SIM, would that show up when the test switch is flicked?

Offline gilesyw

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2015, 04:43:06 PM »
Well, it seems to be working again. I brought the Transmitter Kit down off the pole and indoors, left the door open, came back a couple of hours later and it registered with the console and seems to work with the original anemometer (although of course, sod's law dictates it's a calm night). I've stuck it back up and will see what happens overnight.

Moisture?

Offline gilesyw

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2015, 01:16:16 AM »
And that seems to have lasted until about 2.25 this morning. There's no communication again and an L in the bottom right of the diagnostic screen when on that station ID.

I think I've isolated the problem!

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2015, 07:42:43 AM »
I've looked at the supercap and all looks fine although it's a bit damp inside.

The seal on the door for the anemometer transmitter is quite good if it is place and not damaged. I never see any moisture on my SIM-station boards.

I wonder if this moisture is actually leakage from a damaged supercap. Is this moisture close to the super-cap? The Davis boards are conformal coated, so in general a little condensation should not hurt anything.

I wasn't clear on whether you actually received and installed a new anemometer transmitter, it was sitting in the box or was just an idea of getting one. Did you install a brand new 6332 and are still having problems? Sorry if I got a bit confused on this point.  :?

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2015, 02:30:44 PM »
Here's another wild guess you might want to think about. Quite a while ago, Davis modified the antenna on the wireless ISS units because they were susceptible to moisture getting into the antenna itself. I had a problem with mine and they sent me a small piece of sleeving that fits over the antenna itself. This eliminated the problem with moisture getting inside the antenna. The symptoms I had were intermittent loss of signal at the console. The interior of the ISS was bone dry and looked clean.

While my problem was with the ISS, I suspect the same thing could happen to the wireless anemometer housing too.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline gilesyw

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2015, 11:03:17 AM »
Thanks both - it's the original anemometer transmitter and I haven't replaced any parts in it. I've brought it back in again and left it for 36 hours and it's back up and working ok...for now.

When I say it was damp inside, it just looked like there was general dampness inside the housing - it's pretty wet here all the time and never very warm. Interesting how it works once brought inside for a while though.

I'll definitely give the sleeve idea a go or perhaps try some self-amalgamating tape if I have to bring it down again.

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2015, 12:27:35 PM »
This is starting to sound very similar to a problem I had with my WIRED VP2.

It would stop sending data when the humidity was high...using a hair drier on the SIM board would bring it back to life...within about a week it would stop with even normal humidity and ultimately would only work for a few minutes after using the hair drier (no matter how dry the weather was).

A new SIM board solved the problem.
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network

Offline gilesyw

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2015, 12:33:36 PM »
Well it's been working ok for over 48 hours now and it's been blowing a gale and lashing it down, so perhaps it's going to be ok. If not, a new SIM card will be my first option.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Offline gilesyw

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2015, 04:06:42 AM »
And it died last night.

Right then - new SIM.