Author Topic: Captured an interesting NOAA radar 'boundary clash'.  (Read 1041 times)

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
Captured an interesting NOAA radar 'boundary clash'.
« on: July 10, 2018, 10:18:40 AM »
I captured a EWX (San Antonio, TX) Composite radar loop (gif image below) yesterday that shows two ~forty mile wide outflow and seabreeze boundaries meeting head on and triggering a line of thunderstorms.
I wish that I had captured more views from both EWX and CRP radars, dang it.

You can see the two parallel boundary fronts marching along a SE'ward line (the presumed outflow front) and a NW'ward moving (presumed) seabreeze front.
With almost no precip present until the collision. Then they slam into each other along the whole line and thunderstorms explode all along the point of boundaries contact.

There was widespread TSRA activity for most of yesterday all across South and Central Texas, and offshore. The primary sources were the continuing waves/lows/troughs that have been flowing across the upper Gulf coast area from east to west.

The cited boundaries and the produced TS line is visible just to the NW of Victoria, TX in the loop, mostly in DeWitt County.
They are oriented about a roughly SW-NE line over the southern part of DeWitt, and the northern (outflow/frontal?) boundary is weaker than the seabreeze/outflow line.

NOAA/NWS WSR-88D from EWX WFO, composite radar loop gif, 20180709, 4:54-5:30 PM CDT:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]