Author Topic: YAWCAM giving errors  (Read 4264 times)

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
YAWCAM giving errors
« on: September 22, 2009, 10:30:31 PM »
I downloaded Yawcam because Wheresjames WebCam Publisher was crapping out on the uploading, something that I have no clue how to fix (but that's a different story- though input on that one is appreciated!)

So..when I enable FTP publishing, the program asks for my password (which checks out) but then after I do that, it says the C:/Program Files/Yawcam/tmp does not exist and yet, it does exist! Grrrrr..does anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it? (And does anyone know how to fix WebCam Publisher's uploading problems? It says it's uploading but Wunderground shows an image from like 4 to 12 hours ago..which in that time it was uploading. Maybe it's both WebCam Pub and Wunderground?)
Weather in Rio Rancho, New Mexico:

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: YAWCAM giving errors
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 10:31:41 PM »
Chris, did you get a fix on that?

I have a new Logitech Pro 9000.  Trying to set up Yawcam and get the same error message when I try to "enable" Ftp -

"Could  not save temporary file!
Check that the directory c:\Program Files (x86)\Yawcom\tmp exists.  (If not, please create one.)"

The subfolder does exist and was created by the setup and has a Readme file only.

Running Windows 7 and had to call Logitech support today as install crashed a couple of times and they guided my to a new driver that fixed that issue.

Paul.

Offline dhrandy

• Gentry Weather
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 10:35:15 PM »
I actually gave up on ftp because every 10 hours or so it would ask for the password again.  Now I use the http setting.
La Crosse  WS-2315  l  Cumulus 1.89 l  Gentry Weather

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 11:05:18 PM »
dhrandy, I am not very good at understanding how all that works :oops: but how would I do the same thing as you?

Paul.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 11:08:40 PM »
Chris, did you get a fix on that?

I have a new Logitech Pro 9000.  Trying to set up Yawcam and get the same error message when I try to "enable" Ftp -

"Could  not save temporary file!
Check that the directory c:\Program Files (x86)\Yawcom\tmp exists.  (If not, please create one.)"

The subfolder does exist and was created by the setup and has a Readme file only.

Running Windows 7 and had to call Logitech support today as install crashed a couple of times and they guided my to a new driver that fixed that issue.

Paul.

Damn this was a long time ago LOL.

Never got a fix. Well, then again I replaced the computer with a Mac mini in December.

However I am using a Lenovo IdeaPad (net book) and using the latest Where's James used to work for about 3 weeks until suddenly in the middle of the night I hear the Windows XP critical error sound- I check it out and the dialog box says "Null" when it tries to save the image. I've tried the "uninstall-install" fix and that didn't fix it, so something got corrupted by something else. Don't ask me what I've tried on a Mac- I've already run my way through the free trial of EvoCam, and can't afford the $30 on software (more important priorities come to mind). Frankly, the camera isn't really important as of yet, but feel free to input on any fix you might have about the Null errors.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 11:10:39 PM »
dhrandy, I am not very good at understanding how all that works :oops: but how would I do the same thing as you?

Paul.

FTP refers to transferring the image from your computer to an FTP server so it can be posted on a website. HTTP on the other hand goes directly to a website automatically- handy for people who don't want to leave a server running all night, and would rather leave a website computer running. There are some blurry lines here though...

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 12:00:03 AM »
Thanks for responses.  Got it up on WU after changing the permission on the \Yawcam\tmp folder to permit 'write'.  Next challange is getting it on my website.

Paul.

Offline dhrandy

• Gentry Weather
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 06:12:33 PM »

Paul.

FTP refers to transferring the image from your computer to an FTP server so it can be posted on a website. HTTP on the other hand goes directly to a website automatically- handy for people who don't want to leave a server running all night, and would rather leave a website computer running. There are some blurry lines here though...

What he said.  Just select HTTP in the control panel.  Forward port 8888 from that computer on your router.  Go to settings/edit settings/connecting and click on "What's my URL?" to find your URL.

Advantages and disadvantages to both.
FTP - Advantage is you don't have to worry about updating your URL. Disadvantage is for me that Yawcam keeps asking me for my password.
HTTP - You have to update your URL when your ISP changes it (usually every several months).  No passwords.
La Crosse  WS-2315  l  Cumulus 1.89 l  Gentry Weather

anything