Author Topic: Atlas Lightning Sensor Vs. Stand Alone Lightning Sensor?  (Read 20598 times)

Offline yankeesdood16

Re: Atlas Lightning Sensor Vs. Stand Alone Lightning Sensor?
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2018, 01:22:52 PM »
I’m in the Binghamton NY area and haven’t had any strikes reported since the day after I got the atlas.    Could get storms tomorrow/tomorrow night though.    No false strikes reported for me.

Offline WonderWX

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2018, 03:02:50 PM »
I walked around the area of my atlas site with the handheld  detector and got no strikes or warning from the device about "unable to detect, please relocate" unless I was within around a foot or less of another electrical device.
The atlas detector continues to report a dozen or more strikes at every 5 minute interval.  The interference value in the myacurite data is always 0.   We had legit lightning today which was detected by the handheld model, but the strikes reported by the atlas still never exceed last_strike_distance=5  (and also never =2 so far).

Offline Neil_O

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2018, 03:22:37 PM »
It's interesting - all of the false detections I receive also come in at 5 miles distance.  This must be related to the nature of the electrical noise.  Maybe it can help Acurite pin-point the source?

Offline WonderWX

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2018, 03:41:41 PM »
It's interesting - all of the false detections I receive also come in at 5 miles distance.  This must be related to the nature of the electrical noise.  Maybe it can help Acurite pin-point the source?
Hi - thanks for your report.   I am seeing other distances, mostly 1

Out of the interval reports today:
last_strike_distance=1   98
last_strike_distance=2   0
last_strike_distance=3   24
last_strike_distance=4   41
last_strike_distance=5   19

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2018, 04:17:29 PM »
as a consumer products company, not having a live person via phone that you can contact is very suspect

tons of people, myself included wouldn't touch Face Junk with a 10 foot pole, and, still more dont have a clue about having a live chat..
Those are all things you use, IN ADDITION to having some live human beings to talk to, not to supplant that..

I suggest you just go ahead and return it if you aren’t willing to contact them or do any debugging. 

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2018, 05:16:13 PM »
I've got 30 days to decide, so I will wait and see if Acurite does anything about this issue

thanks for your help and suggestions

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2018, 05:49:23 PM »
It is sunny and warm again in Ohio and the false strikes have come back. Seems to need to be above 82 or so and sunny for it to happen.

I have been sharing the information with Acurite but nothing yet other than the battery switch.

It reports the false strikes to both the panel and MyAcurite so a server fix will not do the trick.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2018, 06:02:49 PM »
I've got 30 days to decide, so I will wait and see if Acurite does anything about this issue

I'm not sure what you are waiting for them to do.

If you're having problems, you need to contact them to see if it can be corrected.

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2018, 06:24:51 PM »

If you're having problems, you need to contact them to see if it can be corrected.

considering how almost everyone with these early units are having problems with false lightning strikes, and a few have already contacted them, and I posted the issue on the amazon site, I am certain they are aware of the problem..plus, its 330pm mountain time, so there is no one to "contact" now, in their non existent customer service department
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 06:28:10 PM by wase4711 »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2018, 06:39:46 PM »

considering how almost everyone with these early units are having problems with false lightning strikes, and a few have already contacted them, and I posted the issue on the amazon site, I am certain they are aware of the problem..plus, its 330pm mountain time, so there is no one to "contact" now, in their non existent customer service department

I'm pretty sure you are mistaken.

If "almost everyone" were having this problem, there would be all kinds of posts about it on Facebook.

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2018, 07:27:30 PM »

I'm pretty sure you are mistaken.

If "almost everyone" were having this problem, there would be all kinds of posts about it on Facebook.

well 5 out of 7 folks in this thread are having the problem; no one really cares about facebook here, so thats at least 75% of actual users here..sounds like "almost everyone" to me

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2018, 08:15:12 PM »
well 5 out of 7 folks in this thread are having the problem; no one really cares about facebook here, so thats at least 75% of actual users here..sounds like "almost everyone" to me

It's a shame you are so dismissive of a good resource.

I'm sorry, but you're going to get nowhere just waiting for Acurite to "fix" it.  There isn't any way for them to apply a patch to your hardware remotely.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 09:02:07 PM by nincehelser »

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2018, 08:23:48 PM »

It's a shame you are so dismissive of a good resource.

I'm sorry, but you're going to get nowhere just waiting for an Acurite to "fix" it.  There isn't any way for them to apply a patch to your hardware remotely.

Sorry, but when I think of "good resources" to fix anything, facebook and twitter, the 2 things in my mind that have pretty much ruined the social fabric of our society,  never come into my thought stream, but to each his own
I'll contact Acurite during their so called "customer service" hours and see what they have to say.

thanks for your input

Offline jimmy1913

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2018, 08:51:15 PM »
My fan was not working out of the box but the lightning sensor worked fine got the fan running and lightning sensor went crazy my UV sensor never worked under complete sun for 3 days never went passed a 3 boxed it up and sent it back.

Offline sjbauer

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2018, 11:14:53 PM »
My fan was not working out of the box but the lightning sensor worked fine got the fan running and lightning sensor went crazy my UV sensor never worked under complete sun for 3 days never went passed a 3 boxed it up and sent it back.
Since most if you with the lightning sensor problems talk about if having issues on warm sunny days, the issue sound like it is the fan/driver for the fan causing the noise. 

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2018, 11:31:01 AM »
After my lastest report to AcuRite support, they did reply: "...I have also made the quality team aware to see what the next step would be."

Hopefully with more reports, a solution will be quick in coming and hopefully, it does not involve sending the Atlas back in for repairs.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2018, 12:02:21 PM »
here's my live chat with accurite this am, and their "solution"..

Oct 2, 9:08 AM CDT
Chat started: 2018-10-02 01:59 PM UTC
(01:59:38 PM) I am getting hundreds of false lightning strikes with my recently installed atlas station, and I have read the same thing is happening to many others..whats the fix?
(01:59:41 PM) *** Sara joined the chat ***
(01:59:43 PM) Customer Support: Thanks for your message, please wait a moment while our agents review your request.
(02:00:45 PM) Sara : Hello Michael, I am happy to assist today. There is some troubleshooting we would like to start with at this point which has corrected some of these cases.
(02:01:01 PM) Sara : If you give me one moment I will get that sent to you via email.
(02:01:08 PM) : ok
(02:01:26 PM) : I already am using alkaline batteries, so that does help
(02:01:32 PM) : doesnt
(02:01:37 PM) Sara : Are you near your sensor at all?
(02:01:51 PM)  no, its outside, and its now raining,
(02:02:07 PM) Sara : Okay, thank you. One more moment.
(02:02:16 PM)  but, the last 2 days was sunny and warm, and I had over 350 lightning strikes
(02:02:55 PM) Sara : Thank you for that information I am documenting that as well. I did just get that email sent over to you.
(02:03:05 PM)  ok, let me check
(02:03:13 PM) Sara : Can I please get your full last name in the event we have to replace that lightening detector?
(02:04:39 PM)
(02:04:44 PM) Sara : Thank you.

(02:05:11 PM) Sara : Great, thanks for that information.
(02:05:13 PM)  ill try your fix when it stops raining
(02:05:35 PM) Sara : That is great, if that does not correct it please reply to that email and we will get a replacement detector sent out to you.
(02:06:08 PM)  has replacing the detector/resetting per your instructions, fixed this issue for people?
(02:06:21 PM)  or is this the first attempt of figuring out a fix?
(02:06:34 PM) Sara : The few cases we have had, we have not heard back that the issue has continued.
(02:07:16 PM)  ok, I will try this when the rain stops, and see if this works for me
(02:07:34 PM) Sara : That sounds great, thank you Michael.
(02:07:41 PM) Sara : Thanks for chatting with me.
Is there anything else I can help you with?
(02:07:57 PM)  thanks for the help, and hopefuly this fixes it
(02:08:06 PM)
(02:08:10 PM) Sara : You are welcome! Have a nice day.
(02:08:19 PM)  you too
(02:08:28 PM) Sara : Thank you.

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2018, 12:04:31 PM »
here are the details of their "solution"

Hi michael,

I have reviewed your ticket and found that the article attached may be helpful. Please follow the suggestions and let me know if you are in need of any further assistance.

Please verify you are using the battery recommendations and try the troubleshooting steps listed below. If you continue to register false lightning after the steps have been performed, please let us know.

Batteries:

•Verify you are using fresh alkaline batteries or lithium batteries (when temperature is below -4°F/-20°C) in sensor.

•Quality brand batteries are recommended, including Duracell Coppertops (Black and copper), Rayovac, Energizer, or Kirkland.

•Verify batteries are fresh. The battery expiration date should be at least 6 years out. Batteries can lose 3% power or more every year in storage.

•Heavy duty, extra strength or generic / store brand batteries are not recommended for use with AcuRite products because they may cause performance irregularities due to the way these types of batteries disperse power. Each battery should not exceed 1.6 volts.

•Rechargeable batteries are not recommended for use with AcuRite products because they may cause performance irregularities due to the voltage instability of these types of batteries.

•Mixing different battery types (brands, old/new, etc.) is not recommended.

-Remove the batteries from the sensor
-Remove the lighting detector from the sensor
-Plug in the detector again (Make sure the lightning detector is fully installed, you will hear two 'Clicks')
-Reset your display (Enter display menu by pressing the gear button all the way on the left then arrow down to Factory Reset in the Menu settings. Change the next option to "YES" then the display will tell you to press the "Check mark" twice.)
-Reinstall batteries in sensor
-Search for sensor on the display

AcuRite provides a one year warranty from the date of purchase.

To receive warranty coverage for the product, please follow the steps below.

1.) Reply to this email with your shipping address and phone number. (For locations in Canada, please provide a physical location.)

2.) If not previously registered, provide a copy of the proof of purchase dated within the last year by attaching to this email.

3.) Locate a small white sticker on the back of the battery door and provide the 4 digits on it. The sticker may also be inside the battery compartment.

Thank you,
Sara
AcuRite Customer Support

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2018, 12:26:08 PM »
That is pretty much the same email I received with the “fix.” It did not work. Are they offering you a repair part or return?

Right now, it sounds like I am on hold.

After dealing with the Access issues and then sending it and waiting for over a month for it to be returned, I am not really wanting to go that route again. I plan on sending mine back into Amazon if there is not a fix by my deadline.

Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2018, 12:53:38 PM »
I thought the Atlas had a 2 year warranty?

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2018, 01:00:14 PM »
That is pretty much the same email I received with the “fix.” It did not work. Are they offering you a repair part or return?

Right now, it sounds like I am on hold.

After dealing with the Access issues and then sending it and waiting for over a month for it to be returned, I am not really wanting to go that route again. I plan on sending mine back into Amazon if there is not a fix by my deadline.

She said they would send me a new lightning detector if their "fix" didnt solve the problem; to me, thats like swapping parts on a car until you find the actual part that is causing the problem..
Like you, I'll try their "fix", and if it doesnt work, and I cant imagine that it will, its back to Amazon with it..
Hurricane Rosa remnants are going through Arizona now, so until it stops raining, I can't try their "fix"..

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2018, 01:44:12 PM »
I thought the Atlas had a 2 year warranty?

An unfortunate change from the original plan. 

The 2 year warranty was to only apply to the outside sensor... everything else was still one year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2018, 01:48:26 PM »
Quote from: wase4711
She said they would send me a new lightning detector if their "fix" didnt solve the problem; to me, thats like swapping parts on a car until you find the actual part that is causing the problem..
Like you, I'll try their "fix", and if it doesnt work, and I cant imagine that it will, its back to Amazon with it..
Hurricane Rosa remnants are going through Arizona now, so until it stops raining, I can't try their "fix"..

I’m curious what you expect to happen (other than you are determined to be dissatisfied).

« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 02:11:22 PM by nincehelser »

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2018, 02:11:58 PM »
[quote author=wase4711 link=topic=35162.msg35999

I’m curious what you expect to happen (other than you are determined to be dissatisfied).
[/quote]

Well, you couldnt be more off the mark thinking I am determined to be "dissatisfied"
I EXPECT a new product, with MORE THAN A YEAR in beta testing, to actually work as described; if it doesn't, then don't release it until it does..

I understand you are an Acurite fanboy, and, thats ok, but, since this is a pretty prevalent issue, one that should have been discovered during their extensive beta testing, their suggested fix is like rebooting a computer, and expecting that to solve all your computer problems; if you've kept up with some others here, you see they have already tried this "fix", and it didnt work for them

I was the Director of Sales for a consumer product manufacturer for many many years, so I know how this game is played..dont release new products that arent working 100% of the time, and, when a widespread issue arises that didnt come up during your testing phase, then either recall the product, or contact the customers who are the early adoprters, and keep them informed of what you are doing to try and solve the problem..

« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 02:15:55 PM by wase4711 »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2018, 02:26:02 PM »
[quote author=wase4711 link=topic=35162.msg35999

I’m sorry

Well, you couldnt be more off the mark thinking I am determined to be "dissatisfied"
I EXPECT a new product, with MORE THAN A YEAR in beta testing, to actually work as described; if it doesn't, then don't release it until it does..
I understand you are an Acurite fanboy, and, thats ok, but, since this is a pretty prevalent issue, one that should have been discovered during their extensive beta testing, their suggested fix is like rebooting a computer, and expecting that to solve all your computer problems; if you've kept up with some others here, you see they have already tried this "fix", and it didnt work for them

I was the Director of Sales for a consumer product manufacturer for many many years, so I know how this game is played..dont release new products that arent working 100% of the time, and, when a widespread issue arises that didnt come up during your testing phase, then either recall the product, or contact the customers who are the early adoprters, and keep them informed of what you are doing to try and solve the problem..

[/quote]

I’m sorry, but the facts indicate otherwise.

Regardless, they seem to working on your problem using commonly accepted methods.