Author Topic: Atlas Lightning Sensor Vs. Stand Alone Lightning Sensor?  (Read 20746 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Atlas Lightning Sensor Vs. Stand Alone Lightning Sensor?
« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2018, 01:15:34 PM »
Seems to me like the whole lightning detection thing is troubled with false positives using the AS3935 in certain locations because of other interference sources. It works for some people and not for others just because of outside interference source differences.

I propose that two Atlas owners swap lighting detectors. One with problems and the other without problems. I'm willing to bet it isn't the lightning detector itself that is the issue. It's location and whatever is causing interference. I'd be curious to know what those sources of interference are though. It may be power lines. It may be fault lines, it may be the Earths magnetic field flux lines that are different in different parts, it may be flying saucers. I don't know and I made all of those up. I wonder if there is a scientific way of finding those sources.

I've read enough here and including from the Blitzortung folks to determine that the AS3935 although it may be the best thing for local detection, it may not be a perfect solution. The fact that they gave up on that chip says it all and they moved to a more useful solutions that helped create their better global network.

It is unfortunate that Acurite is not more forthcoming with this information and has people chasing battery brands and and swapping out parts giving false hope and wasting everyones time and increasing warranty costs.

The local lighting detection may be a nice thing to have but it seems it isn't a possibility for everyone, at least not with an AS3935 chip. End of story.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 01:32:33 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2018, 01:27:42 PM »
Seems to me like the whole lightning detection thing is troubled with false positives using the AS3935 in certain locations because of other interference sources. It works for some people and not for others just because of outside interference source differences.

I propose that two Atlas owners swap lighting detectors. One with problems and the other without problems. I'm willing to bet it isn't the lightning detector itself that is the issue. It's location and whatever is causing interference. I'd be curious to know what those sources of interference are though. It may be power lines. It may be falut lines, it may be the Earths magnetic field flux lines that are different in different parts, it may be flying saucers. I don't know and I made all of those up. I wonder if there is a scientific way of finding those sources.

I've read enough here and including from the Blitzortung folks to determine that the AS3935 although it may be the best thing for local detection, it may not be a perfect solution. The fact that they gave up on that chip says it all and they moved to a more useful solutions that helped create their better global network.

It is unfortunate that Acurite is not more forthcoming with this information and has people chasing battery brands and and swapping out parts giving false hope and wasting everyones time and increasing warranty costs.

The local lighting detection may be a nice thing to have but it seems it isn't a possibility for everyone, at least not with an AS3935 chip. End of story.

I agree; and, I am out where there isnt any electrical interference that I can tell; their "solution" of changing battery brand, resetting the display, popping the detector in and out sounded like shots in the dark, and just a way to appease people until they figure out what is wrong with their "new" system, that they beta tested for over a year, and still couldn't get right..

I returned mine yesterday, and went with a ws2000; trouble free, great range, everything worked properly right out of the box, came with an ACTUAL 50 large page owners manual, great detail, and information and tweaking was super easy with the proper manual at hand..

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2018, 01:35:16 PM »

I returned mine yesterday, and went with a ws2000; trouble free, great range, everything worked properly right out of the box, came with an ACTUAL 50 large page owners manual, great detail, and information and tweaking was super easy with the proper manual at hand..

I bet you are happier with the barometer adjustment too hu?  :grin:
Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2018, 02:41:34 PM »
I agree; and, I am out where there isnt any electrical interference that I can tell; their "solution" of changing battery brand, resetting the display, popping the detector in and out sounded like shots in the dark, and just a way to appease people until they figure out what is wrong with their "new" system, that they beta tested for over a year, and still couldn't get right..

No, they aren't "shots it the dark".  That is how debugging is commonly done whether you approve of it or not.  It's economical because it doesn't involve much in labor costs.

I'm sure you can't tell if there is any electrical interference or not.  Most people don't have the kind of equipment or skills to debug that sort of situation, so you just have to work with what you have and rule-out the hardware issues.

And what do you mean "they couldn't get it right"?  That's nonsense, just like the BS that you've been spreading that there's a widespread problem that has to be addressed.  The AS3935 has been out for quite a few years now, with Acurite implementing it in two other products before this.  They know the chip better than you think.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 02:43:53 PM by nincehelser »

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2018, 02:50:18 PM »

No, they aren't "shots it the dark".  That is how debugging is commonly done whether you approve of it or not.  It's economical because it doesn't involve much in labor costs.

And what do you mean "they couldn't get it right"?  That's nonsense, just like the BS that you've been spreading that there's a widespread problem that has to be addressed.   

Once again, you are showing your Acurite Fanboi colors; I know you idolize them and everything they do, but not everyone else does..

"Economical debugging" is code for too cheap or not caring about your end users enough to fix a problem properly; I guess when they have enough fanbois like you willing to deal with their ineptitude, its better for them fiscally; too bad that doesnt do anything for their paying customers..

considering only 1 person, aside from you, had their problem "fixed" by replacing the lightning detector, its obvious to any objective observer that there is another issue causing this device to malfuntion; I never posted it here, but my rain totals actually went down a day after a major rain event here, which, between their lighting detector defect, and the weird rainfall issue, and problems others are having with the Atlas, told me its time to move on to something else..
Just because you obviously get free units to test, and you feel obligated to support them, us paying customers feel quite differently..

enjoy your free  Acurite stuff..

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2018, 02:53:13 PM »

And what do you mean "they couldn't get it right"?  That's nonsense, just like the BS that you've been spreading that there's a widespread problem that has to be addressed.   

Once again, you are showing your Acurite Fanboi colors; I know you idolize them and everything they do, but not everyone else does..

"Economical debugging" is code for too cheap or not caring about your end users enough to fix a problem properly; I guess when they have enough fanbois like you willing to deal with their ineptitude, its better for them fiscally; too bad that doesnt do anything for their paying customers..

considering only 1 person, aside from you, had their problem "fixed" by replacing the lightning detector, its obvious to any objective observer that there is another issue causing this device to malfuntion; I never posted it here, but my rain totals actually went down a day after a major rain event here, which, between their lighting detector defect, and the weird rainfall issue, and problems others are having with the Atlas, told me its time to move on to something else..
Just because you obviously get free units to test, and you feel obligated to support them, us paying customers feel quite differently..

Wow.  You are one ignorant and rude piece of work. 

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2018, 03:03:12 PM »
I'll be curious to see the response from AcuRite.  Let us know what they recommend as the next step.

Will do.

It is 87 and sunny this afternoon and the false strikes are really ramping up again. It only does it when it is above 80 and seems to be sunnier. It does not do it on cooler and sunny days. I think this points to more of an internal Atlas issue. My unit is in a field with only another weather station close by so no power lines, electric fence, etc.

I have another email in with support and will see what they say. I hate to send it back to Amazon but that will have to be my next step if they ask me to send the Atlas for them to look at it first. Either way, it is pain having to deal with this for a brand new unit that was not that cheap.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2018, 03:07:19 PM »

thanks; looks like you can dish it out, but can't take it  \:D/

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2018, 03:10:03 PM »

thanks; looks like you can dish it out, but can't take it  \:D/

I haven't dished out anything but information.  Pearls before swine, I guess.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2018, 03:28:08 PM »
I'm beginning to see why the Atlas Elite has not been released.  Not just because of the lighting issue but everything else too. Rain gauge accuracy, lacking barometer manual adjustment, shorter operating distance for the Atlas than 5-in-1. I know that the Elite is supposed to have a 1000 Ft range...who knows if they actually achieved that though.

At this moment when a product has been delayed for prolonged beta testing all these issues should have been ironed out. There is no excuse. This type of product launch failure happens to the best of companies. Just look at Apple with their antenna-gate issue. Or Samsung with their batteries blowing up. There are countless examples of this. Hopefully these companies learn and finally get it right. I'll keep Acurite on my radar but I think it will be a while before they right the ship.

A short while ago I was anxiously awaiting the Atlas Elite release and also hoping that the regular Atlas had performed better. Now I've given up on Acurite from what I'm seeing (for now).

At this point there is no perfect weather hardware (even Davis). My next focus though will be on the release of the Davis VP3.  Fingers crossed that they get that right. Until then I'll just enjoy my Ambient Weather which is also not perfect.

I'm no fanboy of any brand. Why is it so difficult for people to see things for what they are? Perhaps they are too invested in a brand both emotionally and financially. If you are invested in a given brand then that company's success will determine many things for you. If the brand sells better then their support could improve. Upgrades to software and hardware could come out that improve your investment. Nobody wants to be stuck with the Blackberry in their pocket. And you also feel better about your investment if others agree with you. So I get it.

Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2018, 03:53:16 PM »
I'm beginning to see why the Atlas Elite has not been released.  Not just because of the lighting issue but everything else too. Rain gauge accuracy, lacking barometer manual adjustment, shorter operating distance for the Atlas than 5-in-1. I know that the Elite is supposed to have a 1000 Ft range...who knows if they actually achieved that though.

"Everything else"?  C'mon.

The rain gauge settings have been vetted against CoCoRaHS gauges by many.  If you want to adjust the mechanism, you can.

There is no barometer in the Atlas itself.

The barometer that is in the Access is adjustable by tweaking your elevation if necessary.  There is also the option of manually adjusting the station pressure.

The Atlas display barometer can also be manually adjusted by as much as 10 inches.

Range is actually much better than a 5n1.  Check it out with an SDR and you'll see a much stronger signal.  This has also been borne out by many.

The "report" of a weaker here was done by someone who modified their Access, but didn't disclose that.  I'm pretty sure he is over-loading the front-end with the stronger signal from the Atlas.

It's been well known the release of the Elite is coming later.  How much later I couldn't tell you.  I have a suspicion that it is going to be marketed differently toward professional users rather than the typical consumer.

As for the "product launch failure", what the hell?  There's been no "product launch failure".  Quite the opposite from what I've been observing.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 04:18:03 PM by nincehelser »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2018, 04:20:51 PM »
My issue with the rain gauge is that it seems not accurate out of the box. The fact that you can adjust it is nice but it undocumented in the Atlas manual. Why was that not worthy of being included like the 5-in-1?

The barometer issue with the display and having to wait 14 days is annoying. That certainly isn't sufficient to hobbyists, at least it isn't for me.  The manual adjustment of 10 inches still doesn't let you set station pressure and that seems to not be sufficient of an adjustment for some people. Seems like Acurite has taken some big steps to make things simpler to the common uninformed consumer rather than providing a solution to weather hobbyist.

I hope you are right about the Elite which is why I passed on the regular Atlas.

As for product launch failure, well that may or may not be a bit harsh depending on your perspective. For me I thought the Altas was going to be so much more. On paper it looks to be almost exactly like the Elite. It even has the same name as the Elite both being Atlas. The Alas was supposed to be an improvement over the 5-in-1. And I suppose in many ways it is better than the 5-in-1. But they certainly didn't hit a home run. This is maybe a 2nd base effort.

Then there is the lighting issue. What a gimmick. Sure it works for some. But they should have a disclaimer on its performance or not have included as a feature.

As for the signal strength issue vs 5-in-1. I've seen I think a couple people with this complaint, not just the person whom modified the Access. I think.

Take all than and then you throw in a company that has removed support options, closes a forum. Also regarding the release an Access device that has no way of getting live data from it so that you can run your own software and you have what I'm seeing is a closed minded company that thinks that you should only be using their product the way they intend. Then they release a product way behind schedule and the whole picture starts to look bleak.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 04:23:14 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #87 on: October 07, 2018, 04:25:23 PM »
Your SDR graph comparison is nice. But it doesn't prove anything. You can have a stronger signal but then you could also introduce more noise and then it is less useful.  I'm not a radio guy so I can't express myself well enough in this regard. But I know enough to know that latching on to a signal is not purely based on signal strength. So compared to a 5-in-1 the signal may be stronger but for some reason it seems some people are seeing less performance and not being able to latch on and keep that signal.
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #88 on: October 07, 2018, 04:34:32 PM »
I think if you are a big Acurite fan you would want them to fix all these issues, rather than pretend that there are no issues.

I hope Acurite gets it right. I want Davis to have more competition so that Davis doesn't think that they can keep selling a VP2 for two decades.
Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #89 on: October 07, 2018, 04:47:05 PM »
My issue with the rain gauge is that it seems not accurate out of the box. The fact that you can adjust it is nice but it undocumented in the Atlas manual. Why was that not worthy of being included like the 5-in-1?

Probably from past experience with the 5n1.  When it was in the manual, many seemed to be thinking the unit needed calibration before it was installed.  This just wasted people's time, especially when they screwed it up.

You have an Atlas and know it is not accurate out-of-the box?

The barometer issue with the display and having to wait 14 days is annoying. That certainly isn't sufficient to hobbyists, at least it isn't for me.  The manual adjustment of 10 inches still doesn't let you set station pressure and that seems to not be sufficient of an adjustment for some people. Seems like Acurite has taken some big steps to make things simpler to the common uninformed consumer rather than providing a solution to weather hobbyist.

The display is just for local viewing.  It's not a huge deal.

I hope you are right about the Elite which is why I passed on the regular Atlas.

As for product launch failure, well that may or may not be a bit harsh depending on your perspective. For me I thought the Altas was going to be so much more. On paper it looks to be almost exactly like the Elite. It even has the same name as the Elite both being Atlas. The Alas was supposed to be an improvement over the 5-in-1. And I suppose in many ways it is better than the 5-in-1. But they certainly didn't hit a home run. This is maybe a 2nd base effort.

On that scale, I'd say an Osprey hardly makes first base.  A single bucket tipper with no aspiration?

Then there is the lighting issue. What a gimmick. Sure it works for some. But they should have a disclaimer on its performance or not have included as a feature.

Oh, come on.  It works for whole hell lot of people.  It's not perfect, but it is effective.  I suppose my WeatherFlow is also a gimmick?

Take all than and then you throw in a company that has removed support options, closes a forum. Also regarding the release an Access device that has no way of getting live data from it so that you can run your own software and you have what I'm seeing is a closed minded company that thinks that you should only be using their product the way they intend. Then they release a product way behind schedule and the whole picture starts to look bleak.

You've been filled with a lot of bad information, I'm sorry to say.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 05:07:55 PM by nincehelser »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #90 on: October 07, 2018, 04:50:17 PM »
Your SDR graph comparison is nice. But it doesn't prove anything. You can have a stronger signal but then you could also introduce more noise and then it is less useful.  I'm not a radio guy so I can't express myself well enough in this regard. But I know enough to know that latching on to a signal is not purely based on signal strength. So compared to a 5-in-1 the signal may be stronger but for some reason it seems some people are seeing less performance and not being able to latch on and keep that signal.

Again, where are you getting that people are seeing range performance issues?   The guy with the modified Access?

I've provided some actual proof, here sir.  Where's yours?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 04:58:33 PM by nincehelser »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2018, 04:57:40 PM »
I think if you are a big Acurite fan you would want them to fix all these issues, rather than pretend that there are no issues.

I hope Acurite gets it right. I want Davis to have more competition so that Davis doesn't think that they can keep selling a VP2 for two decades.

Let's quit with the "Fan" stuff.  I've been running a lot of different brands for a long time.  Davis, Ambient, WeatherFlow, Bloomsky, etc.  I can point out problems and issues with any of them.

I'm not someone who runs around ignorantly trashing other brands like many do here.  I just happen to have a lot of extra info on Acurite that other folks don't have and try to share it.  It's sad some people have a problem with that.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 05:04:46 PM by nincehelser »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #92 on: October 07, 2018, 05:24:39 PM »
I'm not trashing other brands either. I try to tell it like it is so that something gets done about it.

I checked and you are right, there is only one person that complained about signal strength and it was the individual that modified their Access. I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong.

But I also forgot to bring up the issue about Solar and UV not being reported to Weather Underground. Again for a product with such a long product beta how did this get missed????  :shock:

"The display is just for viewing. It's not a huge deal"
Well to me such a nice looking display (the best in the market today) needed to be perfect.

Okay we'll quit with the fan stuff. Glad to see you are also familiar with other brands. You just come across as defending Acurite just a bit too strongly. I on the other hand have no problem with you pointing out true statements about Ambient (because I am not a fan of anyone). Yes the rain gauge is pretty week with one tipper, and there is no aspirating fan. But it is also a lot cheaper and for me the Ambient was just a stop gap because I felt the VP2 was a bad investment in 2018. I want something better than what I have. I recognize all the faults the Osprey has and I gladly point acknowledge them. I think you are right the Osprey is probably a 1st or 2nd base hit. At least I think it come close to stealing 2nd base. The fact that the ObserverIP gives me Live Data to do whatever I want with it is huge selling point for me.  I understand the only way to get live data from the Access is to hack the WU feed because the myAcurite feed is 5 minutes (and that is unacceptable). The Atlas has a better temperature and humidity sensor than the Osprey. The ability of the Atlas to extend the anemometer is a nice touch and that makes it better. I have no problem denouncing the bad and at the same time recognizing the good in any product/brand. Which is why I say nothing out today is perfect. The Davis is dated and some people have humidity sensor issues.

I have no horse in this race. But I have money to throw at whatever company finally gets it right.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 05:27:54 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #93 on: October 07, 2018, 05:34:59 PM »
But I also forgot to bring up the issue about Solar and UV not being reported to Weather Underground. Again for a product with such a long product beta how did this get missed????  :shock:

It wasn't missed.  It's actually an issue on the Access.  Remember all the wunderground re-coding from earlier this year?  That has created several unexpected issues that need to be worked out between Acurite and wunderground.  I was hoping it would all be resolved by now, but apparently Acurite decided it wasn't worth waiting around.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #94 on: October 07, 2018, 05:47:09 PM »
You just come across as defending Acurite just a bit too strongly.

I do that anytime anyone is throwing around bad information when I'm aware of it, especially when it is deliberately malicious.

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #95 on: October 07, 2018, 06:16:10 PM »
funny, making 5 separate posts refuting and arguing another members opinions, looks a whole lot like fanboy to me and several others..

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2018, 06:20:57 PM »
funny, making 5 separate posts refuting and arguing another members opinions, looks a whole lot like fanboy to me and several others..
Clearly your not happy and moved on to a ws2000 so.. the logical thing to do would be post in that section and stop posting trolling here and keep things on topic, yes, no?
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #97 on: October 07, 2018, 06:27:29 PM »
All the accusations of being a backer or supporter, or fanboi of acurite are being thrown out there for what purpose? There are big fans of Davis on this board too... So what?

Let's stick to the issues. Saying that everyone is having a problem is just guessing. I am not having a problem, or I would let you know. Everyone knows around here that I have been critical many times too. We all want these things to work, so lets just keep working on finding a direct cause without calling each other out for liking one product only.

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #98 on: October 07, 2018, 06:42:31 PM »
Let's stick to the issues. Saying that everyone is having a problem is just guessing. I am not having a problem, or I would let you know. Everyone knows around here that I have been critical many times too. We all want these things to work, so lets just keep working on finding a direct cause without calling each other out for liking one product only.
Hear! Hear!
Following this with interest... Folks with the new Accurate system will never resolve any technical or 'operational' or 'situationl' issues if those of us with 'no dog in the fight' keep popping in unasked... we simply need to place our bets, and cheer them on.... this New Suite's community  can resolve stuff if everyone stays away from personalities etc.

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2018, 07:03:50 PM »
Clearly your not happy and moved on to a ws2000 so.. the logical thing to do would be post in that section and stop posting trolling here and keep things on topic, yes, no?

yes, certainly, I just dont appreciate being called names just because I dont agree with someones opinion..and, I dont recall seeing any rule here saying you can only post in a forum if you own/like/support/agree with everything being posted..but hey, life's too short to argue nonsense on the internet..

anything