Author Topic: Davis claims calibrated from factory  (Read 1080 times)

Offline kmahler

• Contributor
    • KO4JY WX
Davis claims calibrated from factory
« on: April 14, 2017, 01:31:28 PM »
I currently have three Davis stations and just went through calibrating the outside and inside temperatures for each. I'm pretty surprised at the delta's I had to put in each to make them match my pair of NIST Traceable mercury full immersion thermometers. My two mercury thermometers are consistently in sync and were last calibrated Oct 2016 when they were manufactured. Here are the offsets I had to enter in each of my stations for outside and inside temps to match the NIST Traceable thermometers.

Inside   NIST      Outside      NIST
Davis Vantage Vue     -5.5c     70f          3.4c         68f     
Davis VP2 DFARS       -7.7c     70f          2.7c         68f
Davis VP2 SHT31       -4.4c     70f          0.7c         68f

No surprise the SHT31 is the most accurate of the bunch needing only 0.7c adjustment. But, 3.4 and 2.7c seems extreme. The Vantage Vue is brand new only being installed yesterday. The inside sensors were way off needing up to -7.7c, that's 18.14f off or over 12%.

When calibrating the outside sensors, the NIST thermometers were in a radiation shield positioned within 18" horizontally and 3" vertically with the ISS sensors .

Another interesting observation. I wondered how much impact a radiation shield had on a day like today. It's breezy with winds gusting to about 5mph and it's overcast so there's no real hard sun. I placed one of the mercury thermometers outside of the radiation shield and left one inside.  I measured a 9f delta between the two. So even when you don't think it would make a big difference, radiation shields are a big deal. When we have a hot summer day, I'm going to repeat that test and see what the delta shows.

Not bitching or asking for advice, just sharing some observations.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 01:35:03 PM by kmahler »
Kevin Mahler
Skywarn Storm Spotter, AKQ3785
CWOP AV286
73 de KO4JY

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Davis claims calibrated from factory
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 01:35:42 PM »
The inside T is most likely due to the console heating up, I think this is a general issue with Davis stations, the console produces heat and biases the indoor T.

The outside T... well.. yes I am surprised as well... 3.4 for a new station?! (btw. just curious... why do you need another one?  :shock: :grin:)

Offline kmahler

• Contributor
    • KO4JY WX
Re: Davis claims calibrated from factory
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 01:57:55 PM »
(btw. just curious... why do you need another one?  :shock: :grin:)

They will eventually be installed at different locations. But, until then I have them all up and running here. The Vantage Vue is going to be my mobile station for Ham Events, ARES, Emergencies and such. It will also go with me when I travel with my camper.
Kevin Mahler
Skywarn Storm Spotter, AKQ3785
CWOP AV286
73 de KO4JY