Author Topic: Website earns 20˘  (Read 3031 times)

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Website earns 20˘
« on: November 27, 2016, 06:52:25 PM »

If I wasn't already retired I couldn't retire on this #-o

komokaweather.com receives about 25 unique visitors and 50 (2.00 per visitor) page views per day which should earn about $0.20/day from advertising revenue. Estimated site value is $111.69. According to Alexa Traffic Rank komokaweather.com is ranked number 7,720,066 in the world and 5.0E-6% of global Internet users visit it. Site is hosted in Scottsdale, AZ, 85260, United States
komokaweather.ca receives about 10 unique visitors and 10 (1.00 per visitor) page views per day which should earn about $0.08/day from advertising revenue. Estimated site value is $29.49. According to Alexa Traffic Rank komokaweather.ca is ranked number 16,086,904 in the world and 2.0E-6% of global Internet users visit it. Site is hosted in Scottsdale, AZ, 85260, United States

What is yours worth?

Paul

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Website earns 20˘
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 06:54:59 PM »
Hmmm.... looks like placing Google Ads at meteotemplate.com would actually generate quite some money :D But I dont want to do that... I like when it is completely ad-free

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 07:04:29 PM »
Zero.
But I have no costs.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 07:10:57 PM »
I think it is total non-sense, based on this I could make over 500USD/month just by placing an ad on my site. There is no way it would be that much. I also wonder how they estimate it because it is not related to the number of page views/visitors, but to the number of clicks on the ad.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 07:12:54 PM »
Or you could earn 9000 a month by working from home  :roll:

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 07:15:34 PM »
I just looked for some real data and the first guy I found says he has 1000 visitors (visitors not page views) per day and makes around 90 dollars per month, which seems realistic to me.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 07:22:31 PM »

I think it is total non-sense, based on this I could make over 500USD/month just by placing an ad on my site.
I think it says $1.28/day and $501 if you wanted to sell... ;)

I may hang on to mine for better offer in the future :D

Paul

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 07:24:53 PM »
The problem is that this really depends on the nature of your website and your audience. The money you get is not per visits or ad views, but ad clicks and I dont think weather interested users are one of those who click on every banner they see :D

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 12:09:49 PM »
I spoke with my friend yesterday who owns a company for creating websites and I asked him about what the general incomes from Google AdSense and similar is...
He said that if you have 1000 visitors/day, you are talking about around 2-3 dollars a month.... assuming people actually click on the ads... :D

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 01:01:32 PM »
viral youtube videos is where you can make money :)

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 10:44:26 AM »
So,
maybe just to put things into perspective. As I mentioned above, the problem is that number of pageviews/video views is irrelevant, so is number of likes, popularity etc etc. It is all about how many times people click the Ad.

I tried using the monetizing feature for the Videotutorials I made for Meteotemplate to see if it could help me offset the costs.

Yesterday I removed them all and here are some stats:
- number of videos: 25
- views: approximately 2000
- watch time: 6200 minutes

Total revenue:
83 cents - YouTube takes 50% of that

I think it was actually me accidentally clicking the ad when I first set it up...

Enjoy :)

« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 11:50:26 AM by Jáchym »

Offline weatherc

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 11:44:34 AM »
He said that if you have 1000 visitors/day, you are talking about around 2-3 dollars a month.... assuming people actually click on the ads... :D

Pure nonsense. I have Adsense on my site, for last month with ca 20k visitors have the earnings been 35€. My record are actually from a few years ago with >400€ for a month when there was ca 100k visitors that month but the earnings/visitor have dropped since that.

EDIT: http://www.worthofweb.com says tought that earnings would be $170/month  :grin:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 11:50:51 AM by weatherc »

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 11:51:52 AM »
You think Im making this up?

1USD = approximately 25 CZK

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 11:54:29 AM »
I will tell you what the problem is.

The problem is that if for example you have a channel or a vlog about food, clothes etc - Google will automatically use ads related to this and so it is likely people will click them now and then.

however, my channel is about a weather template. The only thing google could use as related would be an ad for a weather station - i dont think it is smart enough to do that, but more importantly, even if it did, this is not something you buy very often or intend to buy at the time you watch this.

most of the time it showed ads for videogames... so very unlikely to grab interest of anyone wanting to know how Meteotemplate works

Offline weatherc

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 11:58:20 AM »
One need to remember that its not just to put the ad on the page and money starts coming. Nope. It needs both time and, maybe even more important, some traffic.
From the years i have had the Adsense is it clearly visible that during low-traffic periods (winter) are the earnings/visitor lower while during high traffic days (thunderstorms) can the earnings/visitor be much higher.

The problem is that if for example you have a channel or a vlog about food, clothes etc - Google will automatically use ads related to this and so it is likely people will click them now and then.

Wrong. Google do actually show ads based on what Goggle think is the visitors own "interests", what probably have nothing to do with the content of the webpage.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2017, 12:11:21 PM »
These videos are videotutorials that supplement the wiki so it is not really something that you advertise somewhere. It is used by people who read the wiki and need to see how to setup things. I know this is not a usual situation and obviously there is no point in trying to drive traffic to this. People go there when they need it and I did not really expect millions of views. But my point was that despite that, i still have almost 2k views and the revenue is none.

it was not crucial for me, it would be nice to make something and would help me with covering the costs, but since it was useless and probably just annoying, I removed all monetization yesterday.

So the point here was the 2000 views and 80 cents. You are talking about the fact I could make more if I had higher traffic. But as I explained above, I cannot really "drive traffic" to this given its purpose and content, and the traffic was there - I know 2k is not much, but I would probably expect a bit more than 40c net profit :D

Offline weatherc

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2017, 12:21:16 PM »
So the point here was the 2000 views and 80 cents. You are talking about the fact I could make more if I had higher traffic. But as I explained above, I cannot really "drive traffic" to this given its purpose and content, and the traffic was there - I know 2k is not much, but I would probably expect a bit more than 40c net profit :D

I agree on that. I'm not a "Adsense-expert" but i think it works at least to some point like "what more traffic, that more expensive ads" what again gives more profit per click but also that it really needs some traffic and also some time before it starts to give profit. I don't remember exact but will recall that it took months before it started to give anything more than like 40c when i added them on my site.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2017, 12:23:40 PM »
Even if I made 10 times more, given the annoyance this can be if every tutorial has these, I decided to remove it for the benefit of the viewers

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2017, 01:22:15 PM »
My (New) visits average is about 10 per day on a good week.  :lol:
Randy