Author Topic: Davis Vantage Pro 2 - data download  (Read 3375 times)

Offline sdh13

Davis Vantage Pro 2 - data download
« on: August 26, 2014, 01:14:52 PM »
Hi everyone

I have just bought a Davis Vantage Pro 2 to replace my Oregon WMRS200 and I am in the process to make it work with my environment.
I had to buy the data logger in order to retrieve the data from my station but it looks that it is possible to send data only to the weatherlink.com Website.
If I want to get the data in my MySQL database :
- Is there a way to configure the datalogger such a way it could send the data somewhere else ?
or
- Is there a way to retrieve the data stored on weatherlink.com on my server?

BRgds

sdh13

8-)

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: Davis Vantage Pro 2 - data download
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 02:13:34 PM »
What kind/model of logger did you buy?  There are 3 of them from Davis.  If you purchased the WeatherLinkIP, the answers will be different from the other two.

Offline sdh13

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 04:54:11 PM »
Hi

It's the WeatherLink IP (6555)

sdh13
 8-)

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 05:11:32 PM »
- Is there a way to configure the datalogger such a way it could send the data somewhere else ?

No

Yes - see the relevant section in the Serial Tech Ref document (downloadable from the Davis website)
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 05:41:44 PM »
If I were you I would try and return the IP logger and get a USB logger. It is far more flexable in use and will work with just about any weather software program.     I have one and send data to 5 different internet sites other than Davis net which I do not use.  I don't know if any of the current ones log to MySQL but I believe that the author of Weather Display is in the process of writing a program that does.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 05:45:30 PM »
but it looks that it is possible to send data only to the weatherlink.com Website.

or

1.  Yes - but you can configure your weatherlink.com settings to also send the data to a few other places (only selected ones).

2.  You can access weatherlink.com to download the data.  And/or you can use the Weatherlink software that came with your logger, to get the data from the logger.  Either "in real time" or periodically.

Offline sdh13

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 05:30:00 AM »
Hi Beaudog

The reason why I bought a IP datalogger was because I did not want to have my PC running 24/7 which would be the case if I use an USB data logger;
the IP data logger is connected to my ISP box accessing a remote server with my MySQL database.

sdh13
 8-)

Offline sdh13

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 05:32:44 AM »
Hi all

Thanks for your answers; I will investigate with Davis technical documentation to see how to retrieve data from weatherlink.com

BRgds

sdh13
 8-)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 01:18:16 PM »
Or get a Meteobridge (replaces PC) and grab the data as it passes to WL.com  You can then also send it to your SQL db
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 03:43:57 PM »
Or get a Meteobridge (replaces PC) and grab the data as it passes to WL.com

MB can somehow intercept uploads from an IP logger direct to wl.com??? That's news to me (not saying it's wrong).
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 04:15:09 PM »
Or get a Meteobridge (replaces PC) and grab the data as it passes to WL.com

MB can somehow intercept uploads from an IP logger direct to wl.com??? That's news to me (not saying it's wrong).

Readng the fancy manual (RTFM?  :) 

"Davis Vantage Pro and Vue stations can be equipped with an IP-based Logger called WLIP. If you have one of these, you can enter IP and port (separated by a colon) in the "WLIP" input field (example: "192.168.1.222:10001"). This will tell Meteobridge to connect this station not via USB but via your LAN/WLAN (in the example on IP 192.168.1.222 at port 10001). When you don't soecify a port, the WLIP default port (22222) is used. When you have a serial data logger you can map that to USB by a FTDI or PL2303 based serial to USB converter. When Vantage is connected via USB to Meteobridge please make sure that baud rate of Vantage is set to 19200, otherwise no connection can be established."
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 05:01:29 PM »
Readng the fancy manual (RTFM?  :) 

Well yes but isn't that just saying that you can connect from MB to an IP logger and access LOOP and archive data in the same way that you would with a USB or serial logger. Sure, that's a routine option. But it's not intercepting the uploads to wl.com (ie via port 80) - that would be something quite different.

And if you're trying to access a continuous stream of LOOP records from the IP logger then I doubt that the uploads to wl.com would continue (I'm not aware that MB pauses the LOOP requests at appropriate times every minute and (for longer) every hour to allow the wl.com uploads to complete. But maybe it's more clever than I'm imagining?)
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 05:27:16 PM »
Yes it is.  MB has "powned you".  :)