Author Topic: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi  (Read 109541 times)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
At the proposed price point these things should sell like hotcakes!  Well done!  I will likely get one.  And I for one do not care about WL.com    BTW, any chance we will see a Bluetooth version?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster

Wojtek,
Are those in US$ and is shipping cost dependent on where it is bought?
Paul
[/quote]

I will do my best to find good reseller in US. If that happen, he will have own sell politics. WiFiLogger then should be treated like other items

If I will not be able to find somebody trusted, then I will have to send items from Poland to US. That takes minimum 14 days. In that case price will include shipping cost.
Who would want to pay for 14 days shipping?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Ryan at Scaled Instruments for your US/North America dealer!!
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
At the proposed price point these things should sell like hotcakes!  Well done!  I will likely get one.  And I for one do not care about WL.com    BTW, any chance we will see a Bluetooth version?

Thank you. A lot of good words were written under whole this post.

There is newer hardware to use with bluetooth onboard, but I would need another a few month to change it.
Bluetooth is local communication, it will not give you a big advantage.
I am thinking about external GSM addon. I should will be succeed. This is more important than Bluetooth.

WL.com it's under construction, we will see what it will can do. I don't know how about watching data on WL.com, but for transmit data from console to WL.com they have best solution of all.
No oder website accept archive data from data logger. All needs only current data. They accept also HiLows data.
For Davis weather stations it's the best.

For me to check data best site is www.pwsweather.com I like its data presentation.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Ryan at Scaled Instruments for your US/North America dealer!!

Thank you. I will do my best to have a deal with Ryan in that case.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
exactly, not sure what the advantage is

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
exactly, not sure what the advantage is

Think beyond the WL / PC-running-24-7 scenario.  This unit is like having a mini MeteoBridge installed *inside* your Davis console, sending your live data to a handful of the most popular PWS sites.  For those of us with no use for WL, this is practically the holy grail.....  \:D/
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
yes
but a WiFi connection does that and more,which is what this has
no need for bluetooth...what advantage is that?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
yes
but a WiFi connection does that and more,which is what this has
no need for bluetooth...what advantage is that?

Other weather station and little devices has Bluetooth. So a standard has been created that modern devices must have bluetooth.
In practice, bluetooth works like a wireless serial port. Smartfon don't have serial, but has Bluetooth.
But if WiFiLogger will have Bluetooth I will need to make my own WeatherLink for android and iOS.
So you will have to be in range of Bluetooth with your smartfon to download data, export etc.
This option would never be used in practice.

There is also BLE technology, but this could replace the wireless ISS connection -> console, but this system which Davis use 900Mhz is much better.

So there was only no WiFi. Now there is.
And GSM. It will be.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
yes, that is the only advantage, to get the data via bluetooth to your phone and an app running on that
but you would need to be in range

and then if you are in range, you would be able to see the console anyway
but getting the history data into an app via bluetooth would only be an advantage if no wifi connection, e.g remote location?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
yes, that is the only advantage, to get the data via bluetooth to your phone and an app running on that
but you would need to be in range

and then if you are in range, you would be able to see the console anyway
but getting the history data into an app via bluetooth would only be an advantage if no wifi connection, e.g remote location?

If there is no router, WiFiLogger can generate WiFi network for you. Then your smartphone can connect to this network and that way you will be able to connect and receive data. Also If you have laptop you can make this direct connection WiFiLogger <-> Laptop, then using WeatherLink/Cumulus you can download data.
No router needed for local connection.
But idea was to connect console to the Internet.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
yes
so, really, no real need for bluetooth, agree?
great that it can generate a local wifi

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
yes

It has to have that function. There is no other method to setup connection with router. You need to have connection to WiFiLogger to write SSID and password of your home WiFi.
For setup there is open not secure network, but you can establish secure network if you want.
It can have connection to router, and own WiFi network in one time, but there is no better thing on earth than simplicity. I would recommend to use WiFiLogger with home router. In this case you will forget that you have it, and it will make its job without your attention.

Offline rwilhour

• Scaled Instruments
I'd like to see/read the instructions on how one inputs/loads the (a) network name (SSID) and network security key (password) into the device...so the WiFi modem will talk to it; and, then,  (b) the Davis WL password so its transmissions will be recognized (and not blocked) at the Davis website.

I didn't see anyone answer this so I will...

When WiFiLogger is power up for the first time, it starts in a configure mode. For all other cases you have to switch WiFiLogger to setup mode. To do this you need to push setup button "red button” for about 10 seconds.

When you turn on config mode. WiFiLogger will start to act as an access point. You will be able to search for device "DataLoggerSetup” with your smart phone or computer on the Wi-Fi network.

So you connect to "DataLoggerSetup” network with your smartphone, or laptop then go to URL http://192.168.4.1/ and navigate Setup -> Wi-Fi Setup.  From there you put in your SSID  and Password DHCP enable and other typical things you would see for a "web enabled appliance".  Once you click "save" the Web site will reload with new settings. If everything goes correct a "Connection State” status indicator will change to "CONNECTED”.  From this moment forward  WiFiLogger is connected to your router and your home network.

It was very straight forward, even a chump like me understood the instructions and got it working right away within 5 minutes.

If any of you have set up a smart plug like a Belkin Wemo switch, it is sort of the same concept.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
yes

Sorry - no.  If BLE can be added, it would be a great feature.  I have several devices (like the BBQ smoker controller) that supports both wifi and and BLE.  BT would allow local connect when there is no internet.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
The WiFiLogger has its own web server which you can connect to directly via your local network. Lacking that, it can also act as its own access point. That's how initial setup is done.

Theoretically, if you had a bunch of these in the field in solar powered cabinets, you could do drive up downloads.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Wow. Just found this thread! Very interesting. I have two complete VP2 systems—one connects to my computer using WL and uploads to CWOP, WU, etc. The second console just gets data from its related ISS so I compare, but for my eyes only. If I understand how this thing works, I can buy a WiFi logger and put it in my second console and after I get credentials from CWOP, WU, etc., I can upload two sets of data and view them on the internet without needing a second computer! An excellent concept! When and where will I be able to buy one here in the US?

Oh, oh. My second console has a firmware of 1.82, so unless I can update it to 1.9, I will have buy another console from Ryan at SI!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 05:16:34 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
If I understand how this thing works, I can buy a WiFi logger and put it in my second console and after I get credentials from CWOP, WU, etc., I can upload two sets of data and view them on the internet without needing a second computer! An excellent concept!
YES! and Weatherlink too!

When and where will I be able to buy one here in the US?
Wojtek will answer that.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
If I understand how this thing works, I can buy a WiFi logger and put it in my second console and after I get credentials from CWOP, WU, etc., I can upload two sets of data and view them on the internet without needing a second computer!
Ron not sure, but I think doing that will that will confuse APRS, unless you put in different coordinates. How far away though....

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
If I understand how this thing works, I can buy a WiFi logger and put it in my second console and after I get credentials from CWOP, WU, etc., I can upload two sets of data and view them on the internet without needing a second computer!
Ron not sure, but I think doing that will that will confuse APRS, unless you put in different coordinates. How far away though....

Yes. I think I will need different coordinates. The ISSs are about 40 feet apart, so separate coordinates are doable, I think.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
I have finished programming firmware. I have sent newest version of software to 4 members of WXFORUM who agreed to use and test WiFiLogger.
I am preparing first lot for shipping and waiting for information from those forum members if they are agreed that product is good enough to be released.
I think on 15 of June it should be available in US.

I had negotiated with Scaled Instruments to take care about US and Canada distribution. Good news is that I have confirmation that You will be able to buy WiFiLogger through SI.
I was informed that SI is the best distributor. I hope You will confirm that.

If somebody want to buy one before 15 of June, please contact me by PM, or contact Scaled Instruments. Please note, that shipping Poland -> USA takes minimum 14 days.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
I have finished programming firmware. I have sent newest version of software to 4 members of WXFORUM who agreed to use and test WiFiLogger.
I am preparing first lot for shipping and waiting for information from those forum members if they are agreed that product is good enough to be released.

I had negotiated with Scaled Instruments to take care about US and Canada distribution. Good news is that I have confirmation that You will be able to buy WiFiLogger through SI.

If somebody want to buy one before 15 of June, please contact me by PM, or contact Scaled Instruments. Please note, that shipping Poland -> USA takes minimum 14 days.

Great news! Your selection of Scaled Instruments was outstanding. Ryan knows more about Davis' equipment than the folks at Davis support. He is honest, fairly prices Davis equipment and stands behind what he sells. But the console I want to put the wifi logger in has a firmware of 1.82 and if I understand your specs, I need 1.90. Not sure whether I can update my firmware, this console has a code of A60202... so that might mean it was made in 2006. I know my other console that has 1.9 in it, that currently uploads to CWOP, et al., cannot be updated for the latest firmware.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 06:09:21 PM by WheatonRon »

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
That may be correct!
I now have 2 ISSs and consoles.  I set up new accounts at WU, PWS, and CWOP.  WU and PWS had no issue for a new station using the same coordinates as the previous (but different ID names).  However CWOP wouldn't accept my exact same and I have it set as a block off of the location and that was accepted, original DW3930 and new FW2530.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster

Great news! Your selection of Scaled Instruments was outstanding. Ryan knows more about Davis' equipment than the folks at Davis support. He is honest, fairly prices Davis equipment and stands behind what he sells. But the console I want to put the wifi logger in has a firmware of 1.82 and if I understand your specs, I need 1.90. Not sure whether I can update my firmware, this console has a code of A60202... so that might mean it was made in 2006. I know the console that has 1.9 cannot be updated for the latest firmware.

I don't have information and experience about that. I know that one of the first WiFiLogger user had firmware 1.7x, and he updated with 3.12. There is no problem.
With version 1.90 it comes LOOP2 function. Additional real time data. There is a dew point, 10 min wind gust, heat index, day rain, 24h rain etc. very important data.
That why I leave behind old firmware. All weather website wants wind gust, with old firmware there is no data like this. I could only erase hilows every 10 minutes, then read hi wind as a wind gust.
We need just confirmation that old consoles can be updated with newest 3.80 firmware and there will be no problem. There is no advantages in having old firmware. New firmware will not change your console to be GREEN DOT sensitive.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Now I am confused. I know for a fact my consoles cannot be updated beyond 1.9. Does that mean the WiFi logger won’t work?