Author Topic: Help fitting page in template (Saratoga)  (Read 1394 times)

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
Help fitting page in template (Saratoga)
« on: November 22, 2014, 09:57:33 PM »
Hello All!

I am trying to make the page from EuroBlitz fit on the Saratoga Template but I am unable too.
http://www.txweather.org/wxlightning.php

The page overlaps with the flyer menu and when I re-size the page it re-sizes to the left and stays underneath the flyer menu.

Is there a way to make the page re-size and move the EuroBlitz to the right instead?

TIA!

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline MackerelSky

• Contributor
    • McKean County Weather, Smethport Pa.
Re: Help fitting page in template (Saratoga)
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 06:59:26 PM »
I would suggest, as a start, to get the 'css' files for that script up into the head tags of your page. Viewing the source of the page you have 3 of them located in the body.
Code: [Select]
<link rel="stylesheet" href="http://static.nordicweather.net/css/ol2.css" />
<link rel="stylesheet" href="css/minimalist.css" />
<link rel="stylesheet" href="css/euroblitz.css" />

Those three lines should be between your head tags at the top of the page I believe.

I don't think that will cure everything but it would be a good place to start. Then you can start to get rid of the other errors that you will see if you click on the 'valid XHTML' link at the bottom of the page. Get rid of them one at a time and it usually goes pretty fast as getting rid of one seems to help remove others.

Brad
Mckean County Weather
Located on upper Marvin Creek
https://mckeanweather.com/
Davis VP2 + fars
Cumulus 1.9.4-b1092

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 07:18:45 PM »
Additionally, as you clean-up one line you may uncover another error that wasn't indicated initially. It often can take many iterations of this cycle to get everything cleaned-up and running correctly. The most important thing to remember is that it will be worth the effort once you get a smoothly running script.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 12:21:44 PM »
Thank you all.
Its now fixed! :)

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095

Offline MackerelSky

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 05:00:07 AM »
Thank you all.

mmmm, I wouldn't go that far and I think you were closer before you re-did your page. Seems you just copied and pasted the script page/html into the main body of the template and created more errors than you had before.

Not trying to be nasty, but use that link on the bottom of your pages to clean things up or some folks might have trouble seeing your pages and I don't believe your data can be displayed properly/consistently the way it's setup now.

Brad

Mckean County Weather
Davis VP2 + fars
Cumulus 1.9.4-b1092

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 01:31:53 PM »
Thank you all.

mmmm, I wouldn't go that far and I think you were closer before you re-did your page. Seems you just copied and pasted the script page/html into the main body of the template and created more errors than you had before.

Not trying to be nasty, but use that link on the bottom of your pages to clean things up or some folks might have trouble seeing your pages and I don't believe your data can be displayed properly/consistently the way it's setup now.

Brad

Brad,

I am not the developer of this script. I have no clue how to fix any of this and for sure I am not a web guy.
Not sure how to even begin to fix any of that stuff...

Any pointers?

Edit:

I am looking through allot of the people who are using this script... They all have issues...  Even Saratoga-Weather has this issues....
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 01:34:45 PM by xcom »

----

Offline MackerelSky

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 07:52:28 PM »

Brad,

I am not the developer of this script. I have no clue how to fix any of this and for sure I am not a web guy.
Not sure how to even begin to fix any of that stuff...

Any pointers?

Pointers? Yes, I can point you in what I feel is the right direction to get all of this cleaned up and again, I wasn't trying to be nasty...

You will have to do the work, but if you want to play along let's get started.

Firstly, is this the page you are trying to enter the script in?

http://www.txweather.org/wxnewpage.php

Is that the current one you have on your computer at your place? If not, download it to your computer and we'll get it fixed so that you'll have a clean page to put scripts and data into.

Open the link above up on the web and click on the 'valid XHTML' link at the bottom. 13 errors and 1 warning we want to get rid of. You'll see on the error page an "Options" section just before the errors begin. Put a check mark in the 'Show Source' box then click the Revalidate button. What this will do is open the source of the page below the errors. The line number that is listed in the error will correspond with the line number that show up in the source. Makes it a lot easier for me to put the error and where it's occurring in my page I'm editing.

Now open up the wxnewpage.php in an editor on your computer.

Both open?

Your first two errors are on Line 29, the 'title' to your page and they have very simply to do with <html> tags that should not be there
Remove the following - <br/><small><font color="white"> </font></small> - from the title on the page open on your computer, save it and load it back up to your web server. You should now be able to 'reload' the validator page and those two errors should be removed.

The next error is   

Code: [Select]
document type does not allow element "link" here
  <link href="favicon.ico" rel="icon" type="image/x-icon" />

In short, the error is telling you that the link to your "favicon.ico" is in the wrong place.

To fix it and the rest of the errors, take the document type does not allow element "link" here , the (bold) part of the errors and put it into google and there are hundreds of page that will come up with the right answer to correcting it. In short, it has to do with that link being placed within your head tags.

Like I said, you'll still have to do the work to get that page cleaned up and when you do we'll get the lightning script installed. You will have some trial and error, but unless you hire someone this is the only way to go. Don't be afraid to ask questions to get this fixed, but give all of those errors a try on your own.

Who am I typing with anyways?

Brad
Mckean County Weather
Davis VP2 + fars
Cumulus 1.9.4-b1092

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 08:36:03 PM »
Brad,

Thank you for the information. I guess I have allot of work ahead of me.
Maybe Ill hire a web developer to fix all this for me.

Again Thanks.

Regards.

----

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 01:29:58 PM »
Hello fellow Texan!

You do not need to hire a web developer. Depending on the doctype you use, your site may never validate due to some of the client/server side code that is used in these templates with different scripts. You could end up breaking more things by trying to fix errors. Just make sure your standard HTML/CSS errors are taken care of that is associated with your doctype and ignore the rest. As long as those are taken care of your site will rendering correctly in visitors browsers. Just check it between different browsers and compare the differences if any and go from there. Some of your errors are caused by improper use of tags or depreciated tags which are very easy to fix and those should be addressed. The rest is server side script that the validation process doesn't like. That validation doesn't take into account for server side code that is embedded, only client side, HTML/CSS. To the validator it all renders the same. Just one of the joys of running a website and part of the process if you are going to run one. I wouldn't sweat it to much but, I would take care of it in time for a rainy day project. This is just a personal page and not a corporate/business page. There are some that like to sweat the entire validation errors. The only validation you need is if your site renders correctly in the major browsers. In the end that is all the vistors are going to see, know or even care about.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 01:44:02 PM »
Hello fellow Texan!

You do not need to hire a web developer. Depending on the doctype you use, your site may never validate due to some of the client/server side code that is used in these templates with different scripts. You could end up breaking more things by trying to fix errors. Just make sure your standard HTML/CSS errors are taken care of that is associated with your doctype and ignore the rest. As long as those are taken care of your site will rendering correctly in visitors browsers. Just check it between different browsers and compare the differences if any and go from there. Some of your errors are caused by improper use of tags or depreciated tags which are very easy to fix and those should be addressed. The rest is server side script that the validation process doesn't like. That validation doesn't take into account for server side code that is embedded, only client side, HTML/CSS. To the validator it all renders the same. Just one of the joys of running a website and part of the process if you are going to run one. I wouldn't sweat it to much but, I would take care of it in time for a rainy day project. This is just a personal page and not a corporate/business page. There are some that like to sweat the entire validation errors. The only validation you need is if your site renders correctly in the major browsers. In the end that is all the vistors are going to see, know or even care about.

MesquiteWX,

Thanks for the advice!
I have decided to go a different route and do a whole face lift to the site.
I move to the Leuven-Template just to see what my viewers think. =]
If the viewers like it and I get positive feed back I will start moving my scripts little by little.
Again thanks!

----

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 03:28:00 PM »
Sounds like you got it under control.

One thing to keep in mind. Regardless what you do, you will still have the same issues.

You can always make your current template wider by editing the CSS. Migrating isn't going to make all the issues go away.

Before you make that leap to setting up a new template and being presented with new issues. I would highly recommend playing around with the CSS of your current template and get familiar with CSS/HTML and play around. If you mess things up it wouldn't be a loss because you had plans of migrating anyways. You may find it will be more work migrating them than learning and playing around with what you have. Some of your current scripts may not be so plug and play since they weren't designed for a different template set and that will be more headaches. Just something to consider. 

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 04:15:14 PM »
MesquiteWX,

Thank you, and advice noted.
:D

Happy Thanksgiving!

----