Author Topic: sensor location  (Read 7598 times)

Offline WeatherWarrior

sensor location
« on: December 13, 2008, 12:14:47 AM »
Hi. This concerns Oregon Scientific’s Wireless Thermo-Hygrometer with Remote Sensor (RMR613HGA). I’m confused about where to put the sensor. The manual gives quite a few options, sometimes confusing though.

I guess we don’t have to have the same unit for my question to be answered. Where do y’all put your sensors?

Thank you

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
Re: sensor location
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 07:46:32 AM »
Normally you want to install the sensor aprox 6' above the ground. Preffably over grass if possible. It is also recommended that you install the sensor inside a solar radiation shield. You can buy them already built or you can build them your self.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline WeatherWarrior

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 09:25:37 AM »
Thanx Anthony for replying. Initially, I did not know if I was able to position the sensor outdoors. Here's what confuses me in my manual. It says:

- Place the sensor out of direct sunlight and moisture.
- Position the sensor so that it faces the main (indoor) unit, minimizing obstructions such as doors, walls, and furniture.
- Place the sensor in a location with a clear view to the sky, away from metallic or electronic objects.
- Position the sensor close to the main unit during cold winter months as below-freezing temperatures may affect battery performance and signal transmission.

I'm afraid of leaving it outdoors cos of the rain's moisture & summer's humid moisture. I figure if I buy/make a shield, it shouldn't be metal. And if the sensor is okay for outdoors I'm wondering why the manual says position the sensor close to the main unit during cold winter months. Sorry if I seem too anxious; just a newbie here with my first Thermo/Hygrometer. Thanx again.

jwyman

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 09:44:08 AM »
WW,
  The unit only transmit up to 100 ft on a good day.... Cold weather affects the batteries outputs. You will find that many people on here use Lithium batteries here on their PWS since they can work at very low temepratures. I believe ( and someone verify this for me) that the Lithium batteries have little or no water content in them, thus not freezing up.... I have my unit about 50' way in the front yard and it seems to do fine.   :grin:

Jim

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 10:56:06 AM »
its made to go outdoors.  as long as you make sure its vertical, you should be ok.   when i moved my once, i made the mistake of just placing it, it fell over and when upside down it acts like a bucket, not a rain deflector.   If that happens its toast.  Think of it as water resistant/proof but not imersable...

before you get a shield, maybe you dont need one. my old house had a corner that was protected from direct sunlight and had good airflow, so I did not get any solar radiation impact.  I got the ambient shield at my new house, due to where I needed to site it.

Yes metal not good for shield, metal and rf dont like each other

Andrew

Thanx Anthony for replying. Initially, I did not know if I was able to position the sensor outdoors. Here's what confuses me in my manual. It says:
I'm afraid of leaving it outdoors cos of the rain's moisture & summer's humid moisture. I figure if I buy/make a shield, it shouldn't be metal. And if the sensor is okay for outdoors I'm wondering why the manual says position the sensor close to the main unit during cold winter months. Sorry if I seem too anxious; just a newbie here with my first Thermo/Hygrometer. Thanx again.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 08:43:56 AM »
Here is the shield talked about before, if you do not have a "sun free" area to mount it.  My console is on the second floor, directly above the outside wall in this photo.

SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 08:59:55 AM »
Sam,

You have a remote sensor fixed to the post directly below the bracket. What do you have inside the shield?

Alan.
Alan

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 09:26:49 AM »
When I got my first weather station (WMR968), I moved my sensors all over the place trying to find the "ideal" location.  I never found such a place.   :grin:  I finally got a 30-ft. mast and placed all the sensors on it.  Luckily, the temperature/humidity sensor location is in the shade most of the day.  But, when I bought a LaCrosse station recently, I went ahead and bought a shield for the temp/hum sensor.

I've posted a few pictures of it here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28973905@N04/

You can get all kinds of information for placing sensors and other info here:

http://www.wxqa.com/resources.html

You can get a shield here:

http://www.ambientweather.com/amwesrpatera.html

You'll find that you can spend as much as you want to on this weather stuff.  It's a great hobby (well, most of the time.........)

Good luck!

« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 09:45:57 AM by Slowmodem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 10:42:57 AM »
Hi. This concerns Oregon Scientific’s Wireless Thermo-Hygrometer with Remote Sensor (RMR613HGA). I’m confused about where to put the sensor. The manual gives quite a few options, sometimes confusing though.

I guess we don’t have to have the same unit for my question to be answered. Where do y’all put your sensors?

Thank you

Hi Weather Warrior, you can easily make a 'Stevenson Screen' there are excellent details of how on the Logan Village Weather website. I don't think the Mods will mind me mentioning this.
Alan

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 10:56:23 AM »
I think he has his stock one inside (thgr968), that is a channel 123 type (thgr268) sensor he has outside of shiled.  Secondary check of the location....

Andrew

Sam,

You have a remote sensor fixed to the post directly below the bracket. What do you have inside the shield?

Alan.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline WeatherWarrior

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 01:47:13 PM »
Thanx much for all your replies. I really appreciate it  :-)

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 02:44:14 PM »
WeatherWarrior

Slowmodem got the best place to purchase "Ambientweather", but I think you need the bigger "LX" model for your OS sensor.  Its $5 more but it will definitely fit your sensor.  It has two more "plates" than the regular version.  (7.4" vs 4.4" interior height)

http://www.ambientweather.com/amwesrpatean.html

EDIT:  :oops:  I was wrong (sorry Slowmodem) the first link is the "suggested" on ambient, I could have sworn I had the LX, but mine is regular, the thgr968 is 4.5" so its really tight, the extra sensors are just over 4", I think the LX might still be better, bigger is always better right....

Andrew

Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 02:54:21 PM by mackbig »

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 03:17:44 PM »
Of course, the best would be a solar-powered aspirated thing.  But times are kind of hard, ya know.  Like I said, you can spend as much as you want to on this stuff.   :grin:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 08:40:12 PM »
Sam,

Alan.
I have the OS-WMR968's original sensor in the shield, and the other sensor you see out there, is an extra transmitter that I got with an old radio shack wireless outdoor thermometer that actually transmits and receives on one of the extra channels that OS-WMR968 can pick up.  So I use both sensors as a check for each other.  During the summer when the sun hits the unshielded sensor just right, I get a kick of how much the sun's direct exposure changes those numbers.  But the sensor in the shield will show no effect, as is what I want to happen.

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 08:50:18 PM »
WeatherWarrior

Slowmodem got the best place to purchase "Ambientweather", but I think you need the bigger "LX" model for your OS sensor.  Its $5 more but it will definitely fit your sensor.  It has two more "plates" than the regular version.  (7.4" vs 4.4" interior height)

http://www.ambientweather.com/amwesrpatean.html

EDIT:  :oops:  I was wrong (sorry Slowmodem) the first link is the "suggested" on ambient, I could have sworn I had the LX, but mine is regular, the thgr968 is 4.5" so its really tight, the extra sensors are just over 4", I think the LX might still be better, bigger is always better right....

Andrew

Good luck!

If I could do it over again, I would go with the larger one.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2008, 10:28:27 AM »
I have only ever had my 268 in there, I can imagine how tight the 968 would be.  So even though I waffled, I think the LX is definitely the way to go.  Who would not like another 2 inches...

Andrew

If I could do it over again, I would go with the larger one.

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2008, 07:47:18 PM »
I have the extra large shield from ambientweather.  It's not the greatest arrangement in the world, but it works ok.  There's a "stick" that  attaches to the inside top of the shield that you wire-tie the sensor to.

Here's a picture of mine:

It's not pretty, but it works.  (I need to take a new picture!  I have since bundled the wires a little better.) The extra large shield comes with two or three extra layers and extra long bolts.  The interior size is the same.

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline WeatherWarrior

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 08:17:18 PM »
I'm sorry I haven't been following the thread. I really appreciate all the info here. Thank you again :-)