Author Topic: WMR200 Signal failure  (Read 10390 times)

Offline chillrite

WMR200 Signal failure
« on: March 23, 2013, 01:11:43 PM »
Hi All!
I have a wmr200 for the last 4 years but 3 days ago the signal from the outside array became intermittent and then failed. The wind sensor is now working fine after i replaced the batteries but the temp/hygrometer has failed and the rain bucket only shows on the console intermittently. I have reset all of the equipment with new batteries, moved the array so that the base station is LOS and about 15m away. I have copper wire on the base station and the outside array and still no signal for temp or humidity.
Any help is appreciated.

Offline aweatherguy

• Senior Contributor
    • Weather Station Data Logger
Re: WMR200 Signal failure
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 11:16:31 PM »
I assume that when you say you reset all the equipment, you reset the WMR200 base console AFTER pressing reset on the temp/RH sensor. If not, then try that.

15m can be a bit far depending on circumstances. Does "LOS" include any building walls? Even if the sensor is LOS through a window of a wall, that can make a difference.

I'd try bringing the temp/RH unit indoors within 6m of the base console (no walls) and then reset the temp/RH unit followed by resetting the WMR200 console. If that does not work then something is wrong with one of the units.

Offline chillrite

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 02:20:27 PM »
hi, and thanks for your reply. i have done all you suggest and even had the temp/hygro and rain bucket next to the base unit. they received data for a few minutes then failed again when i moved then outside. LOS was directly in line through a window with no wiring etc in sight. do the oregon products have a history of poor signal reception? I am looking at a vantage vue as a replacement....

Offline FrozenPenguin

• FrozenPenguin
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 06:07:34 AM »
Perhaps you have some major interference (these operate in the 433mhz range..) ?  I have intermittent drops from the UV sensor (about 15m away),but it has 2 windows in between...else it's been stable (but the rest are about 3-4 meters away only..through 1 window /wall ).     I guess one can't exclude the fact that your console might be flaky...

Oregon Scientific WMR200A + UV

Weather Site | | CWOP:7791

Offline chillrite

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 12:09:06 PM »
It's only in the last week that things are going wrong. I have had the wmr for 4 years with no problem so i think it just might be one of the units. it may also be a new source of interference seeing that i live in a built-up area.

Offline aweatherguy

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 02:54:09 AM »
The only other test I can think of is to bring the Temp/RH unit close to the base console and leave it there for a couple of days. If you don't lose contact then it's more information...but I'm not sure if it eliminates the possibility of a problem in the Temp/RH unit.

Have you tried taking the transmitter unit apart to check for corrosion, spider webs, spider nests, etc? If you don't see anything suspicious there then interference may be a more likely culprit.

Problem is, I cannot think of a way to determine if interference is the culprit other than by using some very expensive test equipment. The fact that it used to work points to either:

1) a change in the receiver ... but wait, that's still receiving other sensors okay...
2) a change in the transmitter
3) new local interference

The Davis units transmit on a different frequency (915 MHz in the US I think?) and the newer Davis units use a frequency-hopping setup that allows them to transmit with higher power levels. If interference is the problem that might solve it...but it seems like a lot of money to spend just to solve an interference problem if you are otherwise happy with the OS hardware...

Post back here if you can disassemble the transmitter...if that's not the problem I may have another idea...

Offline chillrite

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 07:42:41 PM »
There are no obstructions in the sensor so I really dont know. Reading other posts seems to say to me it is the base station...

I am not too sure if I would disassemble the sensor:
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=16043.0

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions.

Offline FrozenPenguin

• FrozenPenguin
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 09:28:06 AM »

What about taking the console and sensor(s) to another location, and test there.  I had similar problem with the outside temp/hum sensor only, I thought it was dead for sure (it did not sync at all..)  .I left it without batteries in the drawer, but after a few weeks I gave it another shot.  Surely, it worked again (and have since...). :???:

Oregon Scientific WMR200A + UV

Weather Site | | CWOP:7791

Offline va3mw

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 07:52:09 AM »
Here is what I am seeing. 

I have 2 consoles and 2 complete wx stations on my remote property. 

The receivers in the consoles start to drift off frequency.  Once they drift, then you start to loose it ability to receive.

In my case, as we go into winter, the drifting gets worse as the console is in an unheated cottage.  I have looked the the receiver on both units.  In the case of one WMR968 receiver, it is very cheaply made.  There is the ability to tune if (ish), but it is hit and miss. 

The other receiver seems to be better made, and has 3 tuning adjustments on it to NET it back on frequency.  That is something I have the skills to do, but without information on the receiver from OS, I would be just guessing.

So, I am going to take the receiver and a few working sensors home and attempt to capture the exact frequency on a spectrum analyzer and then see if I can bring them back on frequency.

In my case, it is not due to any 433 interference.  It is clearly the inferior parts they use in their receivers.  A lot of guys with good radio skills have been posting about them on eHam.  http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2607.  Not very good reviews.

If I find out more, I will share them. 

Mike

Offline aweatherguy

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 05:28:18 AM »
Just curious -- how do you know that the problem is receiver frequency drift instead of something else?

BTW, if you have not found this info yet, the newer OS consoles have crystal-controlled receivers so if there was a frequency drift problem, they have cured that. Of course, that does not help with your problem, just FYI.

Offline stu-in-flag

• Contributor
    • stu-in-flag
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 10:34:20 AM »
I am wondering if I am seeing this issue. My temp and hydro units stopped working. I change the batteries and did the reset. The unit worked for few hours, then crashed again.

Is it just plain broke?

Offline aweatherguy

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 02:52:36 AM »
Not enough info...you have WMR200? Replaced batteries in temp/hygro or console? What wireless sensor do you have?

Offline stu-in-flag

• Contributor
    • stu-in-flag
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 08:32:29 PM »
The temperature sensor stopped sending meaningful information It was stuck at one temperature. I replaced the wind and temperature sensor batteries. The wind batteries seemed fine, but I replaced them since I was on the roof. Console batteries were fine. Reset the wind and temperature sensors, then the main 200 console. Temperature worked for a couple hours, then was stuck again.

I replaced the temperature sensor today. Seems to be working now. But, will it last.

Offline aweatherguy

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 11:42:24 PM »
What data (temp and RH or dew point) were you seeing from the temp sensor before replacement? The actual numbers might indicate what went wrong...

Offline va3mw

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 09:38:22 AM »
Just curious -- how do you know that the problem is receiver frequency drift instead of something else?

BTW, if you have not found this info yet, the newer OS consoles have crystal-controlled receivers so if there was a frequency drift problem, they have cured that. Of course, that does not help with your problem, just FYI.

I know because I can actually tune the receiver with the trimmer pot on the receiver, but it is hard to get it right on so that you have the same range you used to have. 

I also know it is the receivers as ALL sensors are going bad and it is not likely that all transmitters failed.

I also know it is not interference from another RF source as I have moved them to different environments (my lab) and they still fail.  I also do not see any RF interference on the spectrum analyzers I have.

First 1 receiver failed.  So, I bought another complete set.  That receiver worked for about 2 years and now it has failed.

The other question I have is how do we know that they have moved to crystal control and that the current units do not have crystal control?  Has anyone seen a schematic?

Mike

Offline mapderf

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 10:27:33 PM »
I am new to the forum and am probably making a mistake answering as opposed to a new post which I haven't figured out how to accomplish.  I have an OS wmr200 which is 3 or so years old and have observed the following:
If I unplug the power supply and use only battery power then all of my sensors, anemometer, temp/humidity, rain gauge, and pool sensor all work great.  If I  plug the power supply into the base unit or the replacement power supply then the sensors stop recording/displaying on the console.  I additionally discovered that the solar unit that came with the anemometer and temp humidity sensor did not have the battery pack connected.  After I connected the battery unit things worked pretty good until a couple of months ago.  I have measured the voltage of the factory power supply and find it to be 10.10 volts without load.  I have tried to buy a variable power supply but cannot get 6 volts without load.  I am in the process of obtaining a pot so that I put it in line to adjust the voltage to 6 volts which is the battery power from the 4 AA batteries in the base unit.  I would appreciate any insight that anyone has as to the issues that I have observed.  I have not nor do I have the equipment to scan for rf that might be interfering with the sensors when the power supply is plug into the base unit.  Please forgive my ignorance as to posting.  Thanks for any help

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2013, 12:42:33 AM »
Are you sure the wall wart is actually supplying voltage to your unit. Also check to see if voltage is getting thru to supply the unit thru the jacks.

John

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2013, 07:21:08 AM »
I am new to the forum and am probably making a mistake answering as opposed to a new post which I haven't figured out how to accomplish.  I have an OS wmr200 which is 3 or so years old and have observed the following:
If I unplug the power supply and use only battery power then all of my sensors, anemometer, temp/humidity, rain gauge, and pool sensor all work great.  If I  plug the power supply into the base unit or the replacement power supply then the sensors stop recording/displaying on the console.  I additionally discovered that the solar unit that came with the anemometer and temp humidity sensor did not have the battery pack connected.  After I connected the battery unit things worked pretty good until a couple of months ago.  I have measured the voltage of the factory power supply and find it to be 10.10 volts without load.  I have tried to buy a variable power supply but cannot get 6 volts without load.  I am in the process of obtaining a pot so that I put it in line to adjust the voltage to 6 volts which is the battery power from the 4 AA batteries in the base unit.  I would appreciate any insight that anyone has as to the issues that I have observed.  I have not nor do I have the equipment to scan for rf that might be interfering with the sensors when the power supply is plug into the base unit.  Please forgive my ignorance as to posting.  Thanks for any help

What voltage does it say on your AC/DC adapter, mine says, OUTPUT: 6vDC 300mA, but it is a UK model, not sure if yours will be different?
Alan

Offline mapderf

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2013, 01:13:27 PM »
Mine has the same spec, but output voltage is 10.10 volts dc measured at the connector without load.  I have used other transformers but haven't been able to get one that had exactly 6.0 vdc output.  Wonder if the modified sinewave from the rectified power is the problem or if it is the voltage and how that causes the transistors to fire/receive.  Anyway thought that folks that had loss of sensors when the base unit is plugged into the power supply might try battery power only see if they get the results that I am.  All sensors connect and record within 30 seconds of removing the connector to the power supply.  I can leave the power supply plugged into the house ac in close proximity to the base station so I don't think that the power supply is generating RF that interrupts the sensors.