Author Topic: Durable weather station that shares its data?  (Read 2313 times)

Offline wrybread

Durable weather station that shares its data?
« on: December 05, 2016, 04:26:56 PM »
I'm researching a weather station to install on the beach at a business. Its a pretty windy spot sometimes and gets the full force of storms when they hit, with gusts up to 60 knots sometimes, though usually nothing more than 25 knot gusts.

The most important thing we want to monitor is wind speed and gust, but barometric pressure would be nice too.

Its going to be sharing the data live online, either through a built-in server or a remote server.

And I'd like to be able to access the data in real time from a script that I'll write, so ideally there should be some way of accessing its data, even if it means scraping a webpage.

Wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
Re: Durable weather station that shares its data?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 04:54:43 PM »
Hi
I would not recommend the cheaper stations in that environment
and so I would look at using a Davis station

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 04:58:27 PM »
Budget? agree with a Davis, Rainwise, etc. You could just upload the data to places like CWOP, PWSweather, WU, Aweakas, etc. and be able to monitor your station's data anywhere anytime.

Offline wrybread

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 05:27:55 PM »
Sorry about that! Of course budget is a biggie. Trying to stay in the $300 - $400 range.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 05:37:32 PM »
If you get a Davis Vantage Pro 2 without solar or UV you will stay within your budget (shop around...places like Scaled Instruments or WeatherShack). You can always add the sensors later when funds allow. The Davis is durable and accurate for the conditions you describe. You can add a Belfrey Boy datalogger to get the data from the station or go with a MeteoHub to save even more.

Offline wrybread

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 01:48:01 AM »
I order the Davis Instruments 6250 Vantage Vue Wireless Weather Station, since its only $300:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LLVFK0/ref=pe_385040_215884960_pd_te_s_wl_ti/159-7003978-9294243

I plan to link it with a Raspberry Pi as detailed here:

http://meteo.annoyingdesigns.com/WOSPi.pdf

I'm a little worried that its not possible with this unit though, and that I need the Davis Vantage Pro 2. Any opinion on this?

And/or is it durable enough? Is it a big step down from the Davis Vantage Pro 2?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 02:02:57 AM by wrybread »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 09:39:47 AM »
No problem linking the Vue to a Pi as long as you have the logger (Davis or aftermarket).  Very durable.  The Vue trades off one piece ease of install and lower cost for  the "correct" sensor placement like the the anemometer 10m above ground.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 10:03:34 AM »
The Vue trades off one piece ease of install and lower cost for  the "correct" sensor placement like the the anemometer 10m above ground.

But intrinsic sensor specs aren't going to be quite as good as a VP2 either. eg and as far as we know Vue is still using SHT11 sensor, the relatively small radiation shield is unlikely to be as effective as the VP2, ditto the rain collector.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.