Author Topic: Reporting  (Read 3807 times)

Offline LIWeather

• Senior Contributor
Reporting
« on: June 14, 2009, 09:41:50 PM »
I was looking into becoming an observer and was curious to know how important is it to report every day, even when there is no rain. I understand its entirely volunteer and the more the better but if you don't receive any rain for days, do you still have to report daily?

Also, I know they recommend taking a reading at 7:00am. This is not really possible for me as i work nights. Does the reporting time make a great deal of difference?

Offline neondesert

• Forecaster
    • http://www.neondesertweather.com
Re: Reporting
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 10:33:53 PM »
I've been with CoCoRaHS for over a year now.  Here in Vegas there isn't a whole lot of rain to report but even the zero amounts are important!  That said, there are times that I'll forget to enter those zeros.  The reporting page has a nice feature that allows you to enter your zero reports by clicking a check box for each day you missed. 
Also, I know they recommend taking a reading at 7:00am. This is not really possible for me as i work nights. Does the reporting time make a great deal of difference?
The "preferred" time is 7:00am but you can enter your readings at another time if this is not possible.  I have been entering mine at 5am since I've joined. 
Larry
"But it's a DRY Heat!"

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 10:54:26 PM »
   I joined in February of this year.  At first I was kind of nervous.  I did not know if I would be able to make the observations.  I make my observation at 8:ooam and sometimes don't get to make my report until 8:30am.  I miss one or two days every month.  I just don't get out to make the observation.  I am really glad I joined.  It is really fun to see how the readings can vary over short distances.
Mark

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 08:15:59 AM »
I joined the middle pary of May of this year. So I've only been reporting for about a month. I report every morning at 7am. My plans are to purchase atleast 1 more rainguage. That way if it happens to be pouring at observation time. All I have to do it swap the guages. It will also make melting snowfall easy in the winter.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 08:24:13 AM »
My plans are to purchase atleast 1 more rainguage. That way if it happens to be pouring at observation time. All I have to do it swap the guages. It will also make melting snowfall easy in the winter.
     Thats a great idea Anthony :!: =D> \:D/

Mark

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 05:58:02 PM »
I was looking into becoming an observer and was curious to know how important is it to report every day, even when there is no rain. I understand its entirely volunteer and the more the better but if you don't receive any rain for days, do you still have to report daily?

1)You should report every day.  ZERO rain is just as important as a day with rain.

2) They prefer 7AM, but if 8 or 9, or even 4 in the afternoon is better than nothing.  The only difference that the time makes is
The maps also only include data that is collected between 4:30am and 9:30am. If you read your rain gauge later in the day, then your data won't be mapped, however it is still in our data base.
(quotation from CoCoRaHS FAQ's).  It is best if you can be consistent in your reporting time.  I report at 5:45AM each day; I emailed them and they changed the default Observation Time  on my My Data Entry : Daily Precipitation Report Form from 7AM to 5:45 AM.

Most every question that you may have is covered on their FAQ page http://www.cocorahs.org/Content.aspx?page=Help

I have not missed a day since I started last November

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 08:44:27 PM »
I have not missed a day since I started last November
I haven't missed a day reporting to CoCoRaHS since I started on 24 March 2008.  It was easier for me though because I was already conditioned by making my daily temp & rain Coop report.  I've been doing the Coop report since 15 April 2004.  I missed only one week with NWS Coop when I vacationed in California.  And those days the data was reported in my absence by my 'Second'.  
Share your CoCoRaHS duty with other family members.  Get them to make your report if you can't.
I have a routine.  Up @ 6AM; coffee from my programmed coffee pot; check the computer; check email; check wxforum; check Twitter; go out to check Fischer-Porter, SRG and CoCoRaHS rain gauges; get temp data from Nimbus; enter data at 7 AM.  At 7:05 AM my work day is done - just yard toys and fun after that.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 08:52:29 PM by wxtech »
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 06:21:36 PM »
 :grin:  If you miss a day of reporting, you can use their handy multi-day accumulation report.
I've used that myself a few times when I had to leave for business trips.
You'd be surprised how easy it is to report.  8-)
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

anything