Author Topic: Add Atlas display battery?  (Read 2293 times)

Offline Pachumatias

• Acurite Atlas
Add Atlas display battery?
« on: December 03, 2019, 06:09:17 AM »
Hello

In a Amazon revise, there is a way to add a backup battery.
What do you think? I copy and paste the review.

... Sadly I figure that the HD display also don't have an internal battery, so in case of power loss you'll need to set up the clock again. There are pads to place a 3.6v battery, however I wasn't able to find the RTC for time holding. I'll return after add the 3.6 battery and inform if it works....
....So far, it's a good station, but I'm slight disappointed with some ridiculous savings the company opted to do like remove an internal battery to hold time and date.

UPDATED: I did my try and wired the battery pads to do some tests and figure if the RTC will keep cointing time when power is removed and for my surprise the clock didn't lost time after that. So far this just makes me sad to think that someone did a well engineered piece of equipment and for some unknown reason (I hope it's not for savings) the battery don't came with the unit.
On attached pictures you can see the pads to install a CR1220-2 SMD support, I found one on (sot sure if I can tell here) for just $2. Other pictures shows details and my wiring for tests.
Test results: With external battery I ran for more than 2hs and had no time loss, without battery time goes out adter about 15 minutes, sometimes less.

UPDATED2: Some of you requested a picture showing the installation of the internal battery support and I just took some and added a 3in1 picture showing the suppor on my hand, the support in place and after solder it the CR1220 coin battery installed. I leaved the station off for a week and the clock still in time. I found the support on eBay.

I add some pics.

Thanks, Matias

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Pachumatias

• Acurite Atlas
Re: Add Atlas display battery?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 06:22:51 PM »
Nobody is interested in this topic!
Atlas display without a battery is a problem when you have a power outage.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 06:59:55 PM »
Atlas display without a battery is a problem when you have a power outage.
Yes, it's asinine.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 07:13:30 PM »
I would rather someone make the USB readable.

Offline Pachumatias

• Acurite Atlas
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 07:29:19 PM »
Anyone use a UPS? It works fine?
What wattage is?

My question is for the answer of the CS:

(06:00:39 PM) Matias: What can I use to avoid power outage? UPS? Which?
(06:01:38 PM) Selene : There is nothing you can do to avoid a power outage
(06:01:56 PM) Matias: Neither a UPS?
(06:03:31 PM) Selene : It might work, I am not sure, the power from the UPS would need to kick on as soon as the power went out, or else the display will reset before the UPS kicks on

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 12:08:14 AM »
I use a couple of USP (  Uninterruptible Power Supply ) on everything from my security camera system to another one for my router and my AcuRite Access plus I have the display plugged into it also . They work great !!! You do NOT lose power when your using a USP that's the whole point of them . When your power goes out the batteries kick in . Now will the last for a hour or so no unless you have a gigantic one . My small one shows a run time of 45 minutes at a load of 71 watts right now . It's a CyberPower EC850LCD .

Anyone use a UPS? It works fine?
What wattage is?

My question is for the answer of the CS:

(06:00:39 PM) Matias: What can I use to avoid power outage? UPS? Which?
(06:01:38 PM) Selene : There is nothing you can do to avoid a power outage
(06:01:56 PM) Matias: Neither a UPS?
(06:03:31 PM) Selene : It might work, I am not sure, the power from the UPS would need to kick on as soon as the power went out, or else the display will reset before the UPS kicks on

Offline Pachumatias

• Acurite Atlas
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 09:19:47 AM »
I use a couple of USP (  Uninterruptible Power Supply ) on everything from my security camera system to another one for my router and my AcuRite Access plus I have the display plugged into it also . They work great !!! You do NOT lose power when your using a USP that's the whole point of them . When your power goes out the batteries kick in . Now will the last for a hour or so no unless you have a gigantic one . My small one shows a run time of 45 minutes at a load of 71 watts right now . It's a CyberPower EC850LCD .

Thanks Mabcmb.

My doubt is the answer of Selene from Acurite CS.
She said that "the power from the UPS would need to kick on as soon as the power went out, or else the display will reset before the UPS kicks on".

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 11:30:30 AM »
Thanks Mabcmb.

She said that "the power from the UPS would need to kick on as soon as the power went out, or else the display will reset before the UPS kicks on".

They do kick in immediately when the power goes out . I just look up the response time for mine and it's 4ms . A " Millisecond" is one thousandth of a second . 

Offline Pachumatias

• Acurite Atlas
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 11:49:58 AM »
Thanks Mabcmb.

They do kick in immediately when the power goes out . I just look up the response time for mine and it's 4ms . A " Millisecond" is one thousandth of a second .

Thanks Mabcmb!
I think I will buy a UPS instead of to put a battery inside the display.

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2019, 10:14:51 AM »
Does this battery addition keep the settings too? Or just date & time?

Offline wxMac

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2020, 02:15:31 PM »
Is there voltage to those plus and minus solder pads when the power is plugged in?  If so, there might be a problem with those lithium batteries being subjected to a higher voltage (possibly up to 5 volts) than the three volts they are rated for.  That could be a reason for the missing backup battery.  No one, especially AcuRite wants their Atlas displays possibly bursting into flames.  Although minimal additional circuitry could take care of this possibility.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2020, 12:26:53 PM »
Thank you for the post and pics, easy enough looks like.

Can you post the eBay link for the CR1220-2 SMD support?
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2020, 02:01:40 PM »
I ordered from here but haven't installed them yet - I have 2 displays. There are other sellers that offer more units for not much more. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pieces-Brown-Plastic-CR1220-Cell-Button-Lithium-Battery-Sockets-Holder/233173188047?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Based on the post above, I was going to check the voltage across the board connectors first.  Have you done that?  If/when you do please post your findings.

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2020, 04:24:44 PM »
daman

Have you performed this update yet?  If so, did you check the voltage across the points of contact before installing the battery holder?

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2020, 07:33:15 PM »
daman

Have you performed this update yet?  If so, did you check the voltage across the points of contact before installing the battery holder?
Sorry no I didn't I was just asking for future members and when I get my Atlas so I can do it as well.
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

anything